Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:54 pm

DERBY release young goalkeeper Emmanuel Idem, old goalkeeper Scott Carson, Millwall-bound wingback Scott Malone, 25yo keeper Jonathan Mitchell (loaned to Northampton last season and apparently sub-six foot), and 30yo Dutch winger Florian Jozefzoon, whom Lampard started most games but last season was loaned to Rotherham and then benched when they switched to wingbacks.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:51 pm

I didn't realise Carson had been technically on loan from Derby at City for the past 2 years!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:40 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:51 pm
I didn't realise Carson had been technically on loan from Derby at City for the past 2 years!
Makes you wonder how much they must have been paying him for that to make sense for Derby.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:04 pm

Sullay Kaikai was due to play for Sierra Leone today and then fly home to sort out his future, with offers on the table from "several League One clubs" (as the usual guff goes) supposedly including us.

That match was called off after Sierra Leone had 6 players test positive for Covid and Sierra Leone accused Benin of bribing officials to fake results. That presumably means Kaikai will be delayed coming back and also means he may be quarantined in Sierra Leone before he flies back to the UK, where he will then have to isolate for 10 days.

If we are actually in for him that has to give Evatt a real headache. Theoretically he could be waiting up to a month for an answer.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:11 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:04 pm
Sullay Kaikai was due to play for Sierra Leone today and then fly home to sort out his future, with offers on the table from "several League One clubs" (as the usual guff goes) supposedly including us.

That match was called off after Sierra Leone had 6 players test positive for Covid and Sierra Leone accused Benin of bribing officials to fake results. That presumably means Kaikai will be delayed coming back and also means he may be quarantined in Sierra Leone before he flies back to the UK, where he will then have to isolate for 10 days.

If we are actually in for him that has to give Evatt a real headache. Theoretically he could be waiting up to a month for an answer.
Modern technology should solve any potential issue there.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:11 pm
Modern technology should solve any potential issue there.
That remote presentation we have produced should help, for sure. As should the fact he has played at the Unibol and also knows Delf and MJ well, so could ask them about things if he can't be shown around. However, how do you do the medical?

That's assuming we have any interest in him. We've been pretty airtight so far.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:35 pm

Who or what is Sullay Kaikai? Sounds like a tribal folk group!
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:58 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:35 pm
Kaikai is Chungy's former junior at Palace. Most recently played for Blackpool. Difficult time at Breda in between. 6', winger, fast, direct and has a goal in him. I suppose he's your typical Palace youth product.

All kinds of rumours around about him for all different clubs. We may not be interested at all, but he was linked and he has mates at the club, so may as well discuss it.

Also worth saying he is exactly what we need. 36 games in a promotion campaign, 7 goals and 8 assists. Makes or scores a goal every 178 minutes.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:20 am

Let's hope he's really good mates then!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:31 am

I'm sure they will follow each other on Instagram or Twitter for something. Basically married.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:07 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:31 am
I'm sure they will follow each other on Instagram or Twitter for something. Basically married.
:lol:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:30 am

sonicthewhite wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:07 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:31 am
:lol:
Any word on Harry Anderson, Sonic? I actually bothered to take the time to TV scout him, so hopefully he's at least on a short list.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:25 am

Not heard a thing buddy. I'm like you hoping Evatt is at least taking a look.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:31 am

sonicthewhite wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:35 pm
Was mentioned on here a fortnight ago when he was released. No indication at all that we're interested but as Ghost says, we seem pleasingly leak-proof at the moment. Here's what was said then:
-----------
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:23 pm
freshly-promoted BLACKPOOL have announced their retained list. Among the released is Sullay Kaikai (25, winger), who has played 103 third-tier games, scored 23 and assisted 17.
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:23 pm
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:05 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:12 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:06 pm
Kaikai please if Ameobi doesn't fancy the drop down. I'm surprised Blackpool have let him go tbh
In theory, yes. But I was told they released him due to his contract demands. If I was misinformed fair enough, if not I don't see how we will offer more.
They're saying they haven't offered him a contract; maybe it never got near the stage of pressing print, because their opinions were so far apart.

Pool forums are split on those who are shocked and those who aren't surprised at all. Interesting bit of analysis from Blackpool's answer to Brommers here https://upthemightypool.co.uk/2021/06/0 ... ased-list/ - seems they think that while he's one of D3's best left-wingers, he doesn't offer enough defensively (especially in Champo) for Critchley, which suggests he might not for Evatt? Notable though that only four Pool players played more minutes last season - including the goalkeeper, the main striker and the captain.
I don't think anyone would have suggested Dapo would do the dirty work until Evatt got hold of him - yet he's a terrier now. It's hard to know with some players and it's one of those where I think he has attributes that would win us games, but there may well be reasons not to add him to our team. I'm happy to see how things develop and I have a degree of faith in our recruitment team.
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:49 pm
Mar wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:41 pm
Kaikai sounds like the lower league Martin Petrov.
Similar for pretty much every winger ever, to a greater or lesser extent: capable of brilliance, but not always diligent and very frequently inconsistent.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:10 pm

Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:49 pm
Mar wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:41 pm
Kaikai sounds like the lower league Martin Petrov.
Similar for pretty much every winger ever, to a greater or lesser extent: capable of brilliance, but not always diligent and very frequently inconsistent.
Martin Petrov sends shivers down my spine as part of the Coyle experiment (rather than in his own right). Not comparing the two in terms of Prem vs 3rd tier, but he does seem to have a better scoring record (around 1 in 4) vs (1 in 7). And I think we're going to need more goals from MF next season than we got this.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:45 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:10 pm
And I think we're going to need more goals from MF next season than we got this.
Hard to overstate how much we need players other than the striker to contribute. Sarecvic was closest to where he needs to be in terms of raw returns, nobody else was close.

If we can sort out set pieces over full season, that'll help. The other big issue is our lack of pace on the transition. No goals scored on the counter and very few from the press. Genuine pace and a couple of bigger lads and we are a much more dangerous side, for me.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:07 pm

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:31 am
Was mentioned on here a fortnight ago when he was released. No indication at all that we're interested but as Ghost says, we seem pleasingly leak-proof at the moment.
Pleasing and frustrating in equal measure. One of the joys of the summer is transfer speculation and Bolton's thorough professionalism in this area kills that dead. It's even difficult to offer educated guesses, because there are so many players who could potentially improve a side going into League One. It's not like the Prem where you have maybe half a dozen players in world football who would both improve you and you might be able to attract to your club.

In the free market you have lads like Harry Anderson and Sullay Kaikai who are being linked to us, but also a load of other clubs. No way to know if there's anything concrete or not. In the loan market you've got players like Ellis Simms and Olamide Shodipo, where if you know people in the game they talk about them as having been watched by us, but again there's nothing concrete and not even enough for the sports rags to run stories.

The staff turnover at the club has meant the usual bigmouths have gone and the new guys seem to just want to get on with the job. You can only praise it, really.

I love and hate it; but it's undoubtedly great for the club.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:18 pm

Saying that, I may be given them too much credit. It's not like we could send scouts out to physically watch players during covid and that's often where the leaks come from. I suppose we will find out in the long term.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:12 am

Iles BN piece says Evatt “is believed to be closing in on a fifth permanent addition of the summer and hopes to have a couple more to add to the list by the time players report back to Lostock in a fortnight for fitness testing.”

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:07 am

Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:12 am
Iles BN piece says Evatt “is believed to be closing in on a fifth permanent addition of the summer and hopes to have a couple more to add to the list by the time players report back to Lostock in a fortnight for fitness testing.”
Yeah, I saw that. I'd love for us to get a forward option in this week so we have a picture of the kind of quality we are aiming at in that department. Also good to see it says "permanent addition", presumably meaning Iles knows somewhat what is going on rather than he's guessing.