European Finals.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: European Finals.

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:58 pm

France looked like they were a step above Germany. Scoreline aside, they looked comfortable and could've won 3/4 - 0

They certainly look like the team to beat. Russia v Finland right now.. Prediction: 2-1 to Russia
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:04 pm

Fins have a goal disallowed for a fringe being offside after 2 mins
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:38 pm

Currently watching Wales, they can do this. Bale ain't half the player he once was though

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:49 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:58 pm
France looked like they were a step above Germany. Scoreline aside, they looked comfortable and could've won 3/4 - 0

They certainly look like the team to beat. Russia v Finland right now.. Prediction: 2-1 to Russia
France never got out of 2nd gear. Their squad attitude and falling out with each other are their biggest barriers to winning this.

I don’t think Germany can be ruled out. They have an outstanding squad but lack a proper striker really for me. Few in that boat.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:26 pm

And Bale misses a penalty...by a Welsh mile.... :shock:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:56 pm

When Bale can be arsed he is so bloody good. Head and shoulders better than anyone on that pitch. Loved watching that.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:59 pm

Also, Joe Morell at Lincoln was an absolute terrier in midfield and could use the ball as well as anyone in League One. He's gone to Luton and not played. No idea if he's had injuries or not, but the lad is a player and Evatt would love him.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:05 pm

Strong collar game from the Italians.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:47 pm

Pretty happy to say Italy are the best ‘team’ in the tournament. France clearly have the best players. Italy the best team shape and balance. If England can beat either of these then great chance of going all the way.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:47 pm
Pretty happy to say Italy are the best ‘team’ in the tournament. France clearly have the best players. Italy the best team shape and balance. If England can beat either of these then great chance of going all the way.
Yup. You can see the areas where France can beat Italy, but if the Italians continue like this (they will) then it'll take any side's best performance to beat them.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:04 pm

Can anyone seriously see England beating Italy, France or even Portugal in this tournament? We've got some good players and are well organised but historically we always come up short in major tournaments when we play the better sides. I can't see that changing this time
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:21 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:04 pm
Can anyone seriously see England beating Italy, France or even Portugal in this tournament? We've got some good players and are well organised but historically we always come up short in major tournaments when we play the better sides. I can't see that changing this time
They're all beatable. The trouble we have is that we would have to be absolutely at 100% in those games to win. To win this tournament England will probably have to play 2 perfect games at some stage. France can beat anyone but Italy playing at about 80% of their ability. Portugal need to sort their midfield out if they are to compete, but they probably will.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:53 pm

I'm not quite ready to crown Italy yet, they've played a couple of poor teams...impressive but group stages are notorious for false dawns (ps it's coming home etc etc)
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:02 pm

Aye. I said Turkey were bad on last week and they showed that tonight.

They've beaten two teams neither of whom could beat a team for whom a guy Ghost genuinely thinks we might sign starts. With plenty goalkeeping help. Wales shouldn't be here and they're the second best team in the group.

You can only beat what's in front of you but they've not done enough to convince me yet!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:35 pm

If offered two 3-0 wins to start a Euro or WC group, I'm fairly sure England or any side would snatch your hand off, irrespective of the opposition. Many times in the past I've had team X down for 3 points to England only to find it ended 1-1. Building momentum is always pretty good for tournament football...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:42 pm

They also thumped the Czechs 4-0 in their warm up game.

Italy are a proper side. Any team can lose in tournament football, but they are very good.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:51 pm

And we beat them 5-0 a year ago. I'm not saying they're not good. You can only beat what's in front of you and two 3-0s is a great start.

They're definitely in the group of could win it's. I just wouldn't have them anywhere near favourites.

France big favourites. I'd have Italy, Belgium, England, Portugal, Spain and Italy as all about level best of the rest decent chance but would need the chips to fall their way.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:02 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:51 pm
France big favourites. I'd have Italy, Belgium, England, Portugal, Spain and Italy as all about level best of the rest decent chance but would need the chips to fall their way.
Don't really have an issue with that assessment. France are the side that can have a bad day and still beat most of the top teams. I think what sets Italy apart from the others is the fact they look like a very good club side. Familiar with each other and well drilled.

Portugal were miles off in their first game - both in terms of set up and understanding. As with the rest, though, their individuals are so good it might not matter until they meet a big side.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:57 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:51 pm
And we beat them 5-0 a year ago. I'm not saying they're not good. You can only beat what's in front of you and two 3-0s is a great start.

They're definitely in the group of could win it's. I just wouldn't have them anywhere near favourites.

They are rare though in that they are an international side who have an identity and seem to be greater than sum of their parts. I’d certainly not crown them champions but as a team they look good. I will be amazed if England put a performance in as convincing and dominant as Italy’s first two regardless of who we play. We’ve two weaker teams coming up do you think we will play with that level of control, creativity abs solidity?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:45 am

Playing high performance and skilled football for 95? minutes, chasing every ball and being fit enough to do it. An obvious desire to win and an ability to do it all in extreme temperatures. That's what I saw from Italy last night.

Possession football was invented in Serie A and La Ligue in the nineties (dispute at will) often to the point of sheer boredom, but it has been refined into a winning art, and Italy and Spain are masters at it. (Shades of Baggio and Totti (reminded me seeing Totti in the audience last night). England will have to be at their very best to stand any chance in the later stages. Fitness and staying power will be the ultimate key to success and I just hope we're on song.

All that said, COME ON ENGLAND!... :pray:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?