Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:03 pm

Haven't had chance to check your stats, Spartan, but is it possible that Dixon is suffering from being in one of the division's four worst teams? I mean even when they improved later on, they were hardly bossing games, judging by their low block at ours.

Maybe it's one for Brommers to parse the stats on but could it be that his mates weren't helping?

Only just noticed, mind, that Barrow only conceded one fewer than Morecambe.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:12 pm

Hmm. Dixon does seem to concede a *lot* of goals to his right.
Screenshot 2021-06-16 at 18.09.47.png
Screenshot 2021-06-16 at 18.09.47.png (495.59 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
But to be fair – if I'm reading it right – the big circles imply that a lot of them are Very Good Chances (high xG) - fuel for the "let down by defenders" argument?

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:15 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:59 pm
I strongly doubt we would have been promoted if Gilks had not come out of retirement. I give him a lot of credit for our defensive stability as those same players in front of him were there with Crelin and we were leaking plenty goals. As such to me, and from what I saw, outside of one or two mistakes which all players make, he is a good keeper.
I've no doubt he's miles better than Crellin and we wouldn't have been promoted without him.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:23 pm

I'd be interested to know who thinks Gilks is one of the best players in our current starting 11.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:37 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:23 pm
I'd be interested to know who thinks Gilks is one of the best players in our current starting 11.
I think his importance outweighs his relative talent.

We were a mess, we needed organising. Crellin was crushed and we replaced him with someone who had great experience, a booming voice and a desire to use it. I don't think it's any coincidence that we improved hugely when Gilks replaced Crellin. And given the fine margins by which we were promoted, I can understand why folk might say without him we arguably wouldn't have been.

But by the same token we arguably wouldn't have been promoted without Ben Jackson, specifically his goal at Morecambe. We arguably wouldn't have been promoted without Sarce's fierce, driven determination to come back from what for many would have been a season-ender. We arguably wouldn't have been promoted without Dapo being happy to sucker fouls and Evatt being happy for him to do it. We arguably wouldn't have been promoted without Isgrove suddenly and frankly unexpectedly adding end product to his never-doubted workrate. We arguably wouldn't have been promoted without MJ's organisational nous and defensive solidity. Etc and so on.

I'm very glad that Gilksy came in, and I will forever be grateful for his part in - let's not underplay it - an amazing promotion that looked as likely as us playing on the surface of the Sun. We will forever be in his debt. And he has deserved the right to be first choice, whatever that means, at the start of the season.

But we need to keep improving. We need to strive for better. I assume that Dixon is a better back-up than young Alexander, but I would like a goalkeeper signing that really pushes Gilks rather than an Ian Walker-style "warm body in the dressing room". Maybe Dixon can push him - we'll see. But considering Evatt has such ambition and such a detailed masterplan, he doesn't seem to be putting an awful lot of thought into hiring what most people agree is one of the most vital positions in any team.

Or maybe I'm wrong, maybe he's put loads of thought into it and our best options have been a 20-year-old, an unretired goalkeeper and now The Bloke From The Last Place. Sometimes life's funny like that.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:39 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:12 pm
Hmm. Dixon does seem to concede a *lot* of goals to his right.
Screenshot 2021-06-16 at 18.09.47.png
But to be fair – if I'm reading it right – the big circles imply that a lot of them are Very Good Chances (high xG) - fuel for the "let down by defenders" argument?
I'm no statistician, all I can say is from the link I posted most of the stats there correlate quite well to what you would expect. The lower teams / players being ranked lower and visa versa. For example Doyle is near top for attacking, Crellin bottom for goalkeeping, while I think you could argue that stats like these aren't completely accurate they're rarely so wrong that a player is completely misrepresented.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:35 pm

As an aside and because I mentioned him in the Euros thread. Joe Morrell isn't playing for Luton. If we do anything this season and he's in our range next summer Evatt should move heaven and earth for him. He's a Premier League player in an Evatt side. Same goes for Callum Paterson at Sheff Wednesday. You have to think someone will come in for Morrell after this tournament, though. If not, expect me to mention him every window to the point where you all want to die.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:40 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
I do. My top 10 list of players would be:

1. Declan John
2. MJ
3. Santos
4. Sarce
5. Doyle
6. Baptiste
7. Lee
8. Gilks
9. Isgrove
10. Jones
(Dapo didn't make my list and Thomasson just missed out)

Interesting to see other top 10 players lists

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:46 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:40 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
I do. My top 10 list of players would be:

1. Declan John
2. MJ
3. Santos
4. Sarce
5. Doyle
6. Baptiste
7. Lee
8. Gilks
9. Isgrove
10. Jones
(Dapo didn't make my list and Thomasson just missed out)

Interesting to see other top 10 players lists
Does 8th out of 11 make him one of the best?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:48 pm

More seriously, Cee Bee, are you going off how you saw their performances last season or what you expect from them next season?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:35 pm

Gilks is our best leader. Most experienced player. Has played at a high level. And he’s our best keeper. I don’t fancy him up front like. But without spending money I doubt we get a keeper with those qualities.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:49 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:48 pm
More seriously, Cee Bee, are you going off how you saw their performances last season or what you expect from them next season?
Based on last season Ghost. For next season, the squad definitely needs improvement. Better players cost more money and there will always be constraints on what the owners can spend. My point is that based on the squad that we have, the goalkeeping position is in relatively capable hands of Gilks. We need a decent back up (Dixon?) but I expect Gilks continue to do a good job next season.

If it was me, I would be now looking to spend it on attacking players given that we are very short in that area. Gilks is not a problem to be fixed based on last season performance. Scoring goals is.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:57 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:49 pm
Based on last season Ghost. For next season, the squad definitely needs improvement. Better players cost more money and there will always be constraints on what the owners can spend. My point is that based on the squad that we have, the goalkeeping position is in relatively capable hands of Gilks. We need a decent back up (Dixon?) but I expect Gilks continue to do a good job next season.

If it was me, I would be now looking to spend it on attacking players given that we are very short in that area. Gilks is not a problem to be fixed based on last season performance. Scoring goals is.
That's, Cee Bee. I like to know what other fans are thinking.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:13 pm

Nixon: "Fleetwood. Close to deal for left back Max Clark. Been in Holland and also ex Hull. Free."

This is the lad mentioned as an alternative to Declan John. Be interesting to see who (if anyone) we sign as back-up to DJ. Arguably a waste of wages to aim too high (and Liam Gordon is on the books) but then again having no left-backs spannered us for the first half of last season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:56 pm

SIGNING ALERT

pre-5pm tweet: "Suppose you 𝗪𝗜𝗟𝗟 be hoping for a new signing..."

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:01 pm

SIGNING CONFIRMED

Will Aimson, (ex-)Plymouth defender, two-year contract.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:11 pm

Not very big for a centre half. Neither is Johnston. Not sure about signing sub 6ft lads for centre back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:14 pm

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:21 pm

Welcome to Bolton Will. Never seen him play but he played the entire last season for Plymouth in L1 as Centre Half first choice apparently so should be able to do a job for us in that position. The downside for me is not his height (as long as he can play) but the fact that Plymouth shipped a lot of goals last season, but with Gilks behind him, the risk to us is mitigated (smile)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:14 pm

It's an interesting signing.

He was indeed a regular for Plymouth last season but it seems manager Ryan Lowe made the decision not to renew his contract, as part of an overhaul; in other words, it's not like the fella refused to sign an extension.

Despite playing for Hull, Tranmere, Blackpool and Bury, he's not a northerner – born in Dorset, he came through at Eastleigh (Hampshire) before Hull hired him. So it's not one of those Sarce/McFadzean "move back north" jobs – unless his partner's from up here or something.

He's been promoted three times, from League Two – with Blackpool, Bury and Plymouth. But here's what could be the most interesting thing: from what I know (or can research without boring myself) all three of those teams went up playing a back three system. Could it be that Evatt is getting an extra trusty body who can play that system, just in case? Might we see Aimson and Johnston either side of Santos?