Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:10 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:55 pm
I fecking love a footballing centre half. I'd will myself gay to marry Mats Hummels. But you have to be able to defend first. Tim Ream wasn't even good on the ball. Awful footballer.
You romantic bastard 🤣

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:26 am

Evatt is getting the sorts of players he wants. We will see how it goes.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:28 am

And how did that work out for them?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:52 pm

Promotion? Quite lucrative I imagine.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:20 pm

The new lad seems to be well thought of at Plymouth, according to the MEN, although it does seem to be based on a few twitter comments only.
I think we'll be waiting a good while for the forward line reinforcements.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:22 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:52 pm
You'd think so, but it cost them more than they made.

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/statu ... 4368652288

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:36 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:22 pm
LeverEnd wrote:

Well yes, that's the modern way I guess. Make a shit load then blow it and more. I believe Burnley are the exception but never really looked into it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:06 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:36 pm
Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:22 pm
LeverEnd wrote:

Well yes, that's the modern way I guess. Make a shit load then blow it and more. I believe Burnley are the exception but never really looked into it.
Aye, Burnley have been better managed, but they have had some money quietly tipped into them too.

https://twitter.com/swissramble/status/ ... 76?lang=en

As one of those charts shows, a handful of PL clubs make profits - some Champions League money, some through being run by Mike Ashley.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:31 am

Everything Burnley do is long term. They don't panic buy and they invest behind the scenes. They also persist with players who aren't immediately successful and generally get their rewards for that, because they trust their recruitment and coaching. Dyche is a much more modern manager than people give him credit for and he's prepared to alter what he does when the data says he should.

They also get close to capacity crowds every week. Their community relationships are superb.

Plenty from which we can learn.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:59 am

Blackpool have picked up Josh Bowler on a one year deal. If he can stay injury free that's a very good signing.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:44 pm

If anyone has time and inclination, it might be worth checking through the "retained list" press releases and seeing who's been offered contracts but not taken them. I suspect our next signings may come from that group.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:56 pm

Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:44 pm
If anyone has time and inclination, it might be worth checking through the "retained list" press releases and seeing who's been offered contracts but not taken them. I suspect our next signings may come from that group.
Dixon's on that list. We can't sign any form of contract with him until his Barrow deal expires due to the Evatt deal.

Do we assume you have heard something, or are you guessing?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:35 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:56 pm
Dixon's on that list. We can't sign any form of contract with him until his Barrow deal expires due to the Evatt deal.

Do we assume you have heard something, or are you guessing?
Sorry, not in the know. Just strikes me that it’s an interesting sector to parse.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:51 pm

Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:35 pm
Sorry, not in the know. Just strikes me that it’s an interesting sector to parse.
There are certainly some interesting players there. I don't have my list to hand, but there are the obvious ones like Joe Pigott (already rejected the deal offered) and then players like Craig MacGillivray (shot-stopper on the fringes of the Scotland team). Then you have lads like Josh McEachran, who has never really developed due to his injuries, but is clearly still talented enough to light up a pitch in League One at times. Luke O'Nien has layers to his game...

There's enough quality in the frees market for us to make a fist of it next season, certainly. I'd not be shocked if we were looking at lesser names, though, to maintain our budget-conscious approach.

My pick of the lesser lights would be Aaron Collins. Played with Tutte at Morcambe and with Sheehan at Newport, another Welshman, good finisher, tall (again, another I feel the internet has wrong on height), creative and technically sound. Can play in midfield or anywhere across the front three. Doesn't have the raw pace or physicality I would like, but would add cutting edge.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:41 am

He's the Forest Green lad right? Who's brother players for Newport? Was impressed with him against us and in the play off semis.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:00 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:41 am
He's the Forest Green lad right? Who's brother players for Newport? Was impressed with him against us and in the play off semis.
Yeah. He came through at Newport County and got picked up by Wolves. They really rated him, but then he didn't develop enough to transition up to the Prem with them as their expectations changed. Banged goals in over half a season at Morcambe as more of a striker and then played all kinds of positions for Forest Green and became more of an inside forward.

He played with Sheehan when he went back on loan to Newport and laid on two assists for Sheehan, who was playing at 10 with Collins out wide.

He's just a very good footballer.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:16 pm

Looks like Collins is off to Bristol Rovers. I'm sure he will have a lovely time with Joey Barton.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:41 pm

Finally found the time to do this. These are all the League One players who, at the time clubs announced their released/retained lists, had either been offered contracts or were "in negotiations" and, as far as I can see, haven't since signed on (there or elsewhere). This list does NOT include those who were released at the time (eg Harry Anderson, Andy Cannon, Will Aimson etc).

Some of them (especially near the bottom – I worked up the division in reverse order) might have higher aims, some of them might be too old, some might be too crap, I dunno. But the TW brains trust will know more about them than I...

BRISTOL ROVERS
offered:
Ollie Hulbert
Lucas Tomlinson

SWINDON
offered:
Akin Odimayo

ROCHDALE
Negotiations:
Jimmy Keohane
Matthew Lund

WIGAN
Offered terms:
Tendayi Darikwa
Joe Dodoo
Viv Solomon-Otabor

FLEETWOOD
offered:
James Hill
Jay Matete

DONCASTER
Talks broke down with:
Jason Lokilo

Leaving:
Danny Amos
Madger Gomes
Ian Lawlor

CREWE
negotiations:
Callum Ainley
Josh Lundstram

ACCRINGTON
offered new deals:
Ben Barclay
Harvey Rodgers
Harry Perritt

POMPEY
Offered/negotiations:
Alfie Stanley
Craig MacGillivray

CHARLTON
Discussions with:
Ben Amos
Chuks Aneke
Jake Forster-Caskey
Adam Matthews

OXFORD
Anthony Forde
John Mousinho

SUNDERLAND
Aiden McGeady
Luke O'Nien
Denver Hume
Charlie Wyke

BLACKPOOL
Cameron Antwi
Nathan Shaw

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:22 am

Nice list, DSB. Thanks.

The three outfield players at Charlton obviously jump out at you immediately. Aneke especially. A goal or assists every 90 minutes from Aneke isn't to be sniffed at, but probably beyond our budget in terms of wages. All three have had injury issues in their careers.

Joe Pigott turned down a contract offer in May, so I suppose isn't technically released. Goal scorer and stylistically a good fit for us. No idea what his options are.

Rochdale fans love Jimmy Keohane. Scored 10 goals last season as a fullback/wingback and, crucially for us, can play right back as well as left back as he is naturally two footed. He scored goals from both flanks last season. Obviously that's with Rochdale primarily playing a back three, but it's a fun option to ponder given how aggressive we need our fullbacks to be.

I suppose what we have to think about is cost vs resale value. So are we likely to see many more Delf/Lee/Doyle type signings, where their wages will be high for the level and there's no money to be made on them? Or will our experienced signings be cheaper options now, with investment going into young lads who we might make a couple of million on in the future?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:32 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:22 am
The three outfield players at Charlton obviously jump out at you immediately. Aneke especially. A goal or assists every 90 minutes from Aneke isn't to be sniffed at, but probably beyond our budget in terms of wages. All three have had injury issues in their careers.
If memory serves, Parky came within a hair of signing him, one window. Mind you, he also almost signed David McGoldrick, and he wanted Charlie Wyke, and Eoin Doyle.
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Joe Pigott turned down a contract offer in May, so I suppose isn't technically released. Goal scorer and stylistically a good fit for us. No idea what his options are.
Aye, he's not on this list because it's post-retained announcement.From the whispers yesterday, it seems he has a choice: go up a tier and prove himself (probably via the bench) at a Bristol City or Luton, or take the money and replace Wyke at Sunderland. Pompey were also sniffing but have retreated. Don't think we're winning that battle.
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Rochdale fans love Jimmy Keohane. Scored 10 goals last season as a fullback/wingback and, crucially for us, can play right back as well as left back as he is naturally two footed. He scored goals from both flanks last season. Obviously that's with Rochdale primarily playing a back three, but it's a fun option to ponder given how aggressive we need our fullbacks to be.
Interesting career path he's had - over from Ireland, didn't work, into non-league, back to Ireland, back to Dale. Positionally he sounds worth considering, especially given the Brockbank wildcard flexibility, but he's 31 in January. Which, along with the Pigott question, brings us to this:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
I suppose what we have to think about is cost vs resale value. So are we likely to see many more Delf/Lee/Doyle type signings, where their wages will be high for the level and there's no money to be made on them? Or will our experienced signings be cheaper options now, with investment going into young lads who we might make a couple of million on in the future?
I suspect it will be a balance. We'll be looking to run a business but I don't think we'll rule out older fellas if they're the Right Sort (I doubt Kieran Lee's on buttons). I guess we could apportion a slice of what we journalists must call the "warchest" to, say, a Pigott, but (1) it risks squad harmony (2) no guarantee we won't be outbid by a worse-run club and (3) if we spend big on a striker in a 4231, where does that leave Doyle?