European Finals.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: European Finals.

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:12 pm

This is going to be a horrible week :lol:

Optimism until about Saturday I reckon. Then pure dread.

I make this very 50/50. Defo rather them than France or Portugal. They're very beatable. But equally could see them smoothering us. Tough to pick the side.

I think he'll go Rashford-Kane-Sterling. Look to play on the break.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:14 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:12 pm

I make this very 50/50. Defo rather them than France or Portugal. They're very beatable. But equally could see them smoothering us. Tough to pick the side.

Christ I was feeling moderately positive then you have to suggest that horrible forward line….

Saka keeps his place IMO.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:17 pm

It's not what I'd pick but I think it's his mentality and it worked against Spain in the Nations League. We need pace on the break against their backline.

If it makes you feel better ( :D ), wouldn't surprise me if we matched them with 3 at the back as well. So Trippier for Grealish and Rashford for Saka :lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:19 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:17 pm
It's not what I'd pick but I think it's his mentality and it worked against Spain in the Nations League. We need pace on the break against their backline.

If it makes you feel better ( :D ), wouldn't surprise me if we matched them with 3 at the back as well. So Trippier for Grealish and Rashford for Saka :lol:
That would be a mistake. For me our best bet as you say is to draw them on and hit in space behind wing backs. Germany are counterpunchers so low block then hit on break. Ironically I think we are suited to that. But no bloody back threes.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:51 am

Not sure there's any point trying to predict what Southgate will do. He will pick a team to try and counter his expected line up from Germany, so it depends what he expects that will be.

Purely opinion, but I think the way a Southgate style side beats this Germany is to put Saka on the left in some capacity and have him match Kimmich's runs - then break on the counter and trust that neither Kimmich nor the covering mid can catch him.

I'd be shocked if Henderson and Maguire didn't both start.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:45 am

Yeah agreed ghost re Saka, but I counter that with I watch f*ck all premier league football so had to google him on Wednesday 😂. I thought he tracked well though and clearly defensive discipline is pretty fundamental for Gareth. Them things that happen after extra time that start with a “P” would not surprise me.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:59 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:45 am
Yeah agreed ghost re Saka, but I counter that with I watch f*ck all premier league football so had to google him on Wednesday 😂. I thought he tracked well though and clearly defensive discipline is pretty fundamental for Gareth. Them things that happen after extra time that start with a “P” would not surprise me.
You'd imagine Southgate will have watched Kimmich and Ginter alternate pushing up as auxiliary centre forwards vs Hungary and understood that pinning them back with some pace is vital to avoid overloads in key areas. However he does that it'll need doing.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:44 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:12 pm

I prefer this trio. Germany are physical and I'm not sure Saka is tough enough yet. With the unpredictability of referees we can't rely on Grealish getting free kicks and he's as likely to get carded if not careful. We're going to have to play hard and well, top of our game in fact.. Maybe replace Sterling with Saka later on depending where we are. I asked for Walker and Maguire last game and got my wish, I hope they both are in again. We need to play offensive to a degree, but watch the breaks, noting we don't already know. Feed Harry Kane if you want him to be efficient; he seemed to be playing quite deep against the Czechs, and a goal can totally revitalise him. We do need some artillery into their box as we won't walk the ball into the net. All in my opinion, of course. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:44 pm
I prefer this trio. Germany are physical and I'm not sure Saka is tough enough yet. With the unpredictability of referees we can't rely on Grealish getting free kicks and he's as likely to get carded if not careful. We're going to have to play hard and well, top of our game in fact.. Maybe replace Sterling with Saka later on depending where we are. I asked for Walker and Maguire last game and got my wish, I hope they both are in again. We need to play offensive to a degree, but watch the breaks, noting we don't already know. Feed Harry Kane if you want him to be efficient; he seemed to be playing quite deep against the Czechs, and a goal can totally revitalise him. We do need some artillery into their box as we won't walk the ball into the net. All in my opinion, of course. :wink:
Regarding Grealish and what you have said, I'm fairly sure he won possession from the opposition in their third more than any other English player in the Premier League last season. Likewise Saka's defensive stats vs the Czechs were exceptional and he won the ball in defensive positions more times than any other England player - I think I also saw a stat that said he'd won possession back more times that game than any other England player had across all three games, but haven't checked that one.

People seem not to notice just how good they are at that side of the game. If we want to play a more physical, ball-winning and aggressive style against Germany, Grealish and Saka are statistically the two best players to put out in terms of our available forwards. Grealish made 1.2 tackles per game in the Prem last season, compared to Rashford's 0.5, Saka's 0.8, Foden's 0.8 and Sterling's 0.7.

I think it's Grealish's floppy hair that makes people think he's luxury player rather than the main driving force of that entire Villa side.

*edit* To Put Grealish's tackles per game into context, Henderson made 1.1 tackles per game.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:51 pm

^

I'll be very happy for you to be absolutely right ,Ghost. On League football I'm way out of touch; the rest (international) I'm just as likely to be wrong as right. Only time will tell, but I'll take any sort of a win.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:51 pm
I'll take any sort of a win.
Won't we all. Looks like Southgate is staying regardless, so we might as well back him.

Wales were shocking today. A real shame for their fans. Hopefully England can perform when it matters.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:05 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:59 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:51 pm
I'll take any sort of a win.
Won't we all. Looks like Southgate is staying regardless, so we might as well back him.

Wales were shocking today. A real shame for their fans. Hopefully England can perform when it matters.
Denmark were good though. I feared for Wales. In normal circumstances they’d have a good chance against the Danes but the Danish side seem to have a spirit following the near but not tragedy and momentum. Was always looking a tough job. Wales didn’t perform though.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:06 pm

Funny, though.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:19 pm

Denmark were very good and I'm sure emotion plays a part, but they just systematically shut Wales down. Their centre backs dominated Moore, they man marked Ramsey and they let Bale run himself out for 20 minutes. After that Wales just looked lost.

When you listened to their players do interviews during the tournament they all said the same thing, "Oh, it's so great to have real players like Ramsey and Bale. So long as they play well we know we have a chance" etc etc....All Denmark had to do was deal with those two and the other players lost belief.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:26 pm

Immaterial, I know, but that was a very poor red card.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:26 pm
Immaterial, I know, but that was a very poor red card.
Terrible decision by the ref. Yellow at most, if even that.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:17 pm

Italy frustrated.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:22 pm

Oh hello

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:23 pm

Boooo

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:26 pm

Austria have been the better team this half. Italy look half arsed.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.