European Finals.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Re: European Finals.

Post by dave the minion » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:05 pm

But the Croatians said this sort of stuff did motivate them. So I'm not sure your conclusions are correct. I expect the mirror back page will be used by the Danes.
Of course they said that, cos they were invited to an interview and were probably asked if it did, so they said yes, probably in a provocative way back.

Its just light hearted banter - happens everywhere. If the Dane's need firing up by the Sun's bacon poster then they've got bigger problems. Same for any other team/country. Its just a bit of fun. No different than mates down the pub doing nothing than take the p*ss out of each other.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:56 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:49 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:05 pm

But the Croatians said this sort of stuff did motivate them. So I'm not sure your conclusions are correct. I expect the mirror back page will be used by the Danes.
Of course they said that, cos they were invited to an interview and were probably asked if it did, so they said yes, probably in a provocative way back.

Its just light hearted banter - happens everywhere. If the Dane's need firing up by the Sun's bacon poster then they've got bigger problems. Same for any other team/country. Its just a bit of fun. No different than mates down the pub doing nothing than take the p*ss out of each other.
If I recall correctly Modric went out of his way to make the point in the post match press conference. These things do matter. We are not viewed well abroad and not sure this helps. You could see how Peter Schmeichel for example was frustrated in the nonsense in interviews he’s been giving.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:10 pm

Still don't buy it.

Do you really think the England team will change their mentality/setup etc on the back of the Danish paper's viking joke??? I certainly don't think anyone in the setup will find it anything other than the quite clever and funny joke that it is. Maybe they'll be shown it with a comment about "lets prove them wrong", but it won't actually change anything, and it will be taken in jest. Maybe some woke snowflakes around the country will take offence and be upset by it, but thankfully they will be nothing to do with the football team so it doesn't really matter.

And I think the Dane's have enough other things to motivate them this time round than worrying about what the Sun says don't you?

And if - if - we get through, there'll be no end of jokes about Italy, and the same will happen in the Italian press about us, but again, it won't have any bearing at all on anything to do with the match. Tabloids are there to report tit-bits of actual news, be a bit silly and be largely irrelevant - not sure they influence how a professional bunch of international elite athletes performs.....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:21 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:10 pm
Still don't buy it.

Do you really think the England team will change their mentality/setup etc on the back of the Danish paper's viking joke??? I certainly don't think anyone in the setup will find it anything other than the quite clever and funny joke that it is. Maybe they'll be shown it with a comment about "lets prove them wrong", but it won't actually change anything, and it will be taken in jest. Maybe some woke snowflakes around the country will take offence and be upset by it, but thankfully they will be nothing to do with the football team so it doesn't really matter.

And I think the Dane's have enough other things to motivate them this time round than worrying about what the Sun says don't you?

And if - if - we get through, there'll be no end of jokes about Italy, and the same will happen in the Italian press about us, but again, it won't have any bearing at all on anything to do with the match. Tabloids are there to report tit-bits of actual news, be a bit silly and be largely irrelevant - not sure they influence how a professional bunch of international elite athletes performs.....
Yes it matters. It’s not just tabloids either. It matters on many counts - potentially offering free motivation to opponents also making us look a bit silly and tin pot at times. It’s absolutely right to be proud of our team and excited for them to win. And hoping for them to win.

But the whole talking down of other teams and nations and constant lack of respect we generally show them in our media is reflective of the way we act generally with the rest of the world. It doesn’t go down well or do us any favours footballing or otherwise. It just adds to a perception of our sneering and arrogant attitude. I’ve no idea what good that does generally. Yet it continues and when a player from the team that beats us says ‘look if helped motivate us’ we just pretend that’s nonsense and ignore it.

And given this team seems like a good sort who will stand up for injustice even when their own fans boo them for not being racists - I'd say they probably wouldn't object to some of the rhetoric being toned down either!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:57 pm

Anyhow, sounds like Saka is in for Sancho as only change - if BBC are right.

Which is what I predicted.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:57 pm

Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:14 pm

Media has been right about every line-up so far. Seems like there's a leak in the camp, or the management don't mind this information being out there
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:18 pm

On the subject of the press I see one of the Italian papers this morning has the headline "God is Italian!". I can just imagine the fall out if one of our rags had come out with similar!

Anyway, we've done brilliantly to get to a semi final. Far better than I was expecting at the start of the tournament when I worried we may not make it out of the group. Whatever happens tonight, its been a great tournament for England and football in general.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:18 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:14 pm
Media has been right about every line-up so far. Seems like there's a leak in the camp, or the management don't mind this information being out there
Open training sessions I think?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:21 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:18 pm
On the subject of the press I see one of the Italian papers this morning has the headline "God is Italian!". I can just imagine the fall out if one of our rags had come out with similar!

Anyway, we've done brilliantly to get to a semi final. Far better than I was expecting at the start of the tournament when I worried we may not make it out of the group. Whatever happens tonight, its been a great tournament for England and football in general.
Its not insulting anyone else is it? And its acknowledging they had a bit of luck. This is very different to the jingoism we see in our press.

It sounds fine to me. Better than their media pronouncing them as finalists before they'd even beaten Spain or entirely writing off other nations or whatever.

I have no issue with building excitement or whatever but the putting down of other nations or assuming victory its just not necessary.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:43 pm

Not his biggest fan but Gary Neville has posted this and its perfect.
History beckons for this team.

To reach back-to-back Semi-Finals is incredible, but it’s not enough.
You become nearly men!
If we’d took that chance, if he hadn’t got injured, if the ref hadn’t got that one wrong.

I do have genuine confidence in this manager and players that this time a semi-final isn't the end!

To win any semi-final takes a great performance.

This is a really good Denmark team and anything less than our best and/or luck will not be enough.
The only danger is that the lads don’t see the danger.
When you’re euphoric and on a wave in sport or life you can have that feeling it’s never going to end and something becomes your right.
It doesn’t work like that.

Tonight is a night to be cold, don’t let emotion take over, stick to the manager's plan and focus.
These are young men who haven’t got massive life experience. They will have a manager and staff that are grounding them and when they go back to their rooms they will have mates/family ringing them asking for tickets or making travel preparations for Sunday's final!
I’ve been there as a 21-year-old in Euro 96.
All of a sudden it’s gone! You’re packing your bags at 1am in the morning and driving home thinking how did that happen all the way home for 4 hours in a car!

Don’t be driving home at 1am in the morning!
I still remember that journey home.
I remember turning into my drive in Larkfield Close in Greenmount, Bury, the daylight, and that feeling that even though I hadn’t drank you feel hungover with no sleep! Numb!

Go for it lads! Focus and grab this chance!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:11 pm

Playing at Wembley with a new young team hopefully able to ignore the hype and "caja de toros" and just play football. We'll never have a better chance.

COME ON ENGLAND" ... ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:46 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:04 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:57 pm

Not exactly Nostradamus....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:04 pm

'As I predicted' just tickled me. Sorry BWFCi :D

Anyway, work to be done, and then off to the alehouse. COYWM (although not the usual YM)
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:55 pm

Teams will take their motivation wherever they can. Doesn't matter much, if they play the best they can, then they can do no more.

I'm waiting on official word from Hoss, but from some leaks I've heard, we'll shit 'em.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:35 pm

Wouldn't have made that change. Balance was perfect on sat. But still should have enough.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:41 pm

Well played Saka. England need to fix the centre of midfield though as we are absolutely shocking in there. Danes press Rice and he can’t cope. Phillips all over the place.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:41 pm
Well played Saka. England need to fix the centre of midfield though as we are absolutely shocking in there. Danes press Rice and he can’t cope. Phillips all over the place.
Rice, Stones and Maguire all look uncomfortable under the slightest pressure. We're too pedestrian again, giving them ample time to get all 11 behind the ball but then looking vulnerable to their counter attacks.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:51 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:41 pm
Rice, Stones and Maguire all look uncomfortable under the slightest pressure. We're too pedestrian again, giving them ample time to get all 11 behind the ball but then looking vulnerable to their counter attacks.
There is some nerves. But for me Phillips is going forwards and there is then a massive gap to Rice and the Danes break into that space and we look all over the place. We either need to stop that by one of Phillips or Mount dropping in or step up and try a higher press which is risky.

Front three look lively. But worry was always a good organised side could exploit the weakness in midfield and back four.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:59 pm

I'd be confident our front 3 could turn their defence inside out if we just get the ball to them quicker. That said, the ball Kane threaded through to Saka for the goal was outstanding