Pre-season frendlies

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Pre-season frendlies

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:47 pm

Just watched 10 minutes of it. That was enough!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:48 pm

Equaliser from a left-wing free-kick. Nodded back across, keeper nowhere, bonced in by Johnston from two yards with the game's last touch. Won't save them a roasting from Evatt, methinks.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:53 pm

I'd say, a decidedly lucky result. Sloppy, careless and not impressive to say the least. All the excitement of Sunday pub league stuff, if that good..
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:41 pm

Jack Dearden tweet-quoting Evatt:

"My lads have just been told in no uncertain terms that it wasn’t acceptable, I’m actually embarrassed with them. I’m not having the excuse that they’ve worked hard all week. They need to want it more."

”Some of them, that’s the first time they’ve seen me like that. If you think my half-time team talk on Tuesday night was me bring harsh, they’ve got a bit of a rude awakening coming.

“We must make sure we do the basics of football better, and that is running, first and foremost, winning duels, winning second balls, winning headers, winning tackles.”

“Football is a game full of excuses, and if you give football players excuses they hang on to them. There is no excuses for that – our standards are better than that, they have to understand that."

(asked if there were any positives at all)
“No, not one. I’m not taking any positives from that. It’s my standards, they’re higher than that. This club’s standards are higher than that. The positives were FC United – congratulations to them, they were excellent."

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:57 pm

Unsurprising and probably fair. Only saw the last hour but there weren't many of the team that finished the game you think will be anywhere near the starting XI for the first game. MJ and Johnston (and George looked ok but expect he's behind the other two).

Have a bit of sympathy for the second half as that midfield is never going to start. I think he wanted to look at the three in the first half and that was then the three who were left.

Not particular worried about team performance as it's early days and lots of changes, but not too many individuals did well, and there was a lot of moaning and hands to the sky type stuff I think will have irked him. Both Tutte and Sarcevic gave it away cheaply and had little strops about it when I think he wants to see that mentality of go and get it back.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:02 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:57 pm
Unsurprising and probably fair. Only saw the last hour but there weren't many of the team that finished the game you think will be anywhere near the starting XI for the first game. MJ and Johnston (and George looked ok but expect he's behind the other two).

Have a bit of sympathy for the second half as that midfield is never going to start. I think he wanted to look at the three in the first half and that was then the three who were left.

Not particular worried about team performance as it's early days and lots of changes, but not too many individuals did well, and there was a lot of moaning and hands to the sky type stuff I think will have irked him. Both Tutte and Sarcevic gave it away cheaply and had little strops about it when I think he wants to see that mentality of go and get it back.
What I’ve seen of Pre season Darcy has looked our lost lively midfield player and today only reinforced that.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:02 pm
What I’ve seen of Pre season Darcy has looked our lost lively midfield player and today only reinforced that.
From what I saw today you're right, but those curtains are a crime

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:24 pm

I like Ronan but I don't think he's close to breaking in for Evatt atm. If he was he'd have started the second half for Tutte probably. Instead he got shunted on to the left wing for 25 mainly to give Bakayoko a break. Shame as I agree he gives us something we don't have a lot of.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:45 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:24 pm
I like Ronan but I don't think he's close to breaking in for Evatt atm. If he was he'd have started the second half for Tutte probably. Instead he got shunted on to the left wing for 25 mainly to give Bakayoko a break. Shame as I agree he gives us something we don't have a lot of.
Evatt has already mentioned his improvement and whilst he has zero chance of starting the first game I think IE has enough about him to give people chances and not write players off. Darcy offers something different and if he can play like he did a couple of years ago then probably he’d be our best midfield player. That’s a big if though.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:28 pm

Its only pre season so no need to go overboard, but for me today & the previous games against very inferior non league teams is that we still need a midfield enforcer / hard man & we need another decent striker IMO.

We are still soft & easy to bully - we need some steel and IMO we still look like a league 2 side.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:28 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:12 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:02 pm
From what I saw today you're right, but those curtains are a crime
Didn’t see the game but felt compelled to say I’m a fan of the new trim :grin:

Sneaky feeling that Darcy sees more minutes this season than last and makes an impact.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:15 pm

Darcy is at least ahead of politic for the moment - but gutted he has had such a disrupted pre season, think it will be a while before he is back to his best. Ronan you would think gets a shout in the cup game.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:58 pm

Wednesday’s second-string game cancelled.

Statement:
“The Bolton Wanderers XI pre-season fixture against Bamber Bridge FC at the Sir Tom Finney Stadium on Wednesday has been called off.

“With several members of the club’s development staff isolating, it was mutually decided to postpone the fixture.”

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:41 pm

Anyone off here going to tomorrow's game ? PNE is a big step up from recent opponents be interesting to see how we do.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:27 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:41 pm
Anyone off here going to tomorrow's game ? PNE is a big step up from recent opponents be interesting to see how we do.
A big step u is what's needed from the Salford game. What a lackadaisical half-hearted stroll. It was roasting hot, but that didn't stop the Mancs from running rings round us. We have to stop thinking friendlies; that are no such animals in football. Let's hope I.E's hairdryer session went home with a few. :Jedi:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:27 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:41 pm
A big step u is what's needed from the Salford game. What a lackadaisical half-hearted stroll. It was roasting hot, but that didn't stop the Mancs from running rings round us. We have to stop thinking friendlies; that are no such animals in football. Let's hope I.E's hairdryer session went home with a few. :Jedi:

ae:)
Yes was good to see him wanting more. Certainly made an impression and hopefully gets it out of the way now. I don't believe he was this voracious last pre-season so I suspect now he's trying to get the message across whilst things are relatively 'friendly'.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:45 am

We’ll see, we got dicked about 5-1 by a makeshift Wigan team last summer and still went up. Playing in a heatwave I wouldn’t fancy it as a high intensity game that will tell us too much.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:13 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:45 am
We’ll see, we got dicked about 5-1 by a makeshift Wigan team last summer and still went up. Playing in a heatwave I wouldn’t fancy it as a high intensity game that will tell us too much.
That Wigan game brought us back to earth after a 3-0 win over Accrington a week or so before. That and the early cup games v Crewe and Bradford was a pointer that we weren't going to start the season well.

It's important this time to iron out as many deficiencies as we can in pre season, so we're not still looking like a bunch of strangers in late August, like we were last year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:18 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:13 am
officer_dibble wrote:
That Wigan game brought us back to earth after a 3-0 win over Accrington a week or so before. That and the early cup games v Crewe and Bradford was a pointer that we weren't going to start the season well.

It's important this time to iron out as many deficiencies as we can in pre season, so we're not still looking like a bunch of strangers in late August, like we were last year.
Given we can start the team that finished last season there really is no excuse this time. I'm confident we'll be fine.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:33 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:18 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:13 am
officer_dibble wrote:

Given we can start the team that finished last season there really is no excuse this time. I'm confident we'll be fine.
Yes and no. I think he's made some signings that were there to improve us, rather than keep us static as League 2 third place team. We could do with seeing some evidence of it! :-)