Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:50 pm

Whitesince63 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:46 pm
Ellis Harrison, isn’t this just yet another journeyman player and don’t we already have enough of those? Come on Ian, if it isn’t a really good, head turning signing just don’t bother and let’s stick with what we’ve got.
We are in league one. Players who can perform in league one are what we are after. Head turning is nonsense and. meaningless especially at this level.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:52 pm

Books and covers.

In January we signed someone who had played most of his games for Rochdale, been relegated with Notts County, couldn't get in the Blackpool team, had suffered some terrible injuries, even had a vaguely daft name. He was a major component in turning our season round.

Same night, we signed someone who was supposed to be the signing of the season. He struggled for form, barely played and is best remembered not as a head-turner but a headband-wearer.

I wouldn't want us to give Just Anyone a four-year contract out of desperation, and I don't expect us to. I'll be frustrated if we don't sign anyone at all, and a little worried as we're light up top for the next two months, but I wouldn't want us to let the desire for the groundbreaking be the enemy of the good enough.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:55 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:52 pm
Books and covers.

In January we signed someone who had played most of his games for Rochdale, relegated with Notts County, couldn't get in the Blackpool team, had suffered some terrible injuries, even had a vaguely daft name. He was a major component in turning our season round.

Same night, we signed someone who was supposed to be the signing of the season. He struggled for form, barely played and is best remembered not as a head-turner but a headband-wearer.

I wouldn't want us to give Just Anyone a four-year contract out of desperation, and I don't expect us to. I'll be frustrated if we don't sign anyone at all, and a little worried as we're light up top for the next two months, but I wouldn't want us to let the desire for the groundbreaking be the enemy of the good enough.

Exactly this. You never know with signings. And frankly right now I’d be happy with Harrison who would add to what we have. But it is what it is. The fact seemingly none of our actual targets are out there is both good but slightly concerning as you’d imagine anything close or likely would be talked about by now.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:55 pm
The fact seemingly none of our actual targets are out there is both good but slightly concerning as you’d imagine anything close or likely would be talked about by now.
Iles summed it up- we're in a queue. I'd add "near the back". I wouldn't go to bed early but equally I wouldn't bet on us getting anyone.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:01 pm

I think i can exclusively reveal Comley isn't going anywhere. Well not right now he isn't, he's sat behind me in the hotel.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:05 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:01 pm
I think i can exclusively reveal Comley isn't going anywhere. Well not right now he isn't, he's sat behind me in the hotel.
:lol:

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:05 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Have you turned up to give him a lift?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:08 pm

Mar wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:05 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Have you turned up to give him a lift?
:D good thinking. I'll have a word!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:14 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Season ticket discount taking a hammering again? 😉

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:55 pm
Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:52 pm
Books and covers.

In January we signed someone who had played most of his games for Rochdale, relegated with Notts County, couldn't get in the Blackpool team, had suffered some terrible injuries, even had a vaguely daft name. He was a major component in turning our season round.

Exactly this. You never know with signings. And frankly right now I’d be happy with Harrison who would add to what we have. But it is what it is. The fact seemingly none of our actual targets are out there is both good but slightly concerning as you’d imagine anything close or likely would be talked about by now.

From a potential deadline day move, I would imagine that a lot of those touted for a transfer are likely to either on the scrap heap, or under performing. To them, we're an unknown commodity in this league and despite looking like a potentially interesting proposition could equally be viewed as a team that could potentially go the other way.

I'd like to think we could get a short term loan to cover our forward woes. Amaechi and Bakayoko seem to be big misses and I would like to think that we'd be looking to cover the gap whilst they recover.

Brockbank is likely to be a good backup for the right back slot, but equally I doubt he'd push on and secure a position over Jones. Nice to have around but I would like to think we'd at least be considering getting a RB. As much as i'm confident Baptiste can cover, and Johnstone, i'd like to think that the managers got a few ideas floating around for squad depth.

I can't see Delf going anywhere in this window. Last season got a newborn to deal with (IIRC) and I would suspect he'd be relatively settled, if out of confidence.

For me, i'd be looking at ST, RB and CM (defensive)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:18 pm

Kioso's joined MK Dons, per MK's twitter

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:21 pm

Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:18 pm
Wow. That’s a shame. Spend money though MK Dons. Imagine he was out of our range.

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:26 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:49 pm
Whitesince63 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:46 pm
if it isn’t a really good, head turning signing just don’t bother
Blimey! You don't want much do you?! Doyle and Sarc aside i cant think of many recent signings that have made me turn my head.

Nothing wrong with being greedy is there Harry? 😉 My point is, if it’s just another journeymen then I’d rather not bother. If we’re going to sign anybody, let’s make sure it’s someone worthwhile. Still haven’t heard that we’ve settled with the creditors yet so it might be irrelevant anyway??

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:30 pm

That’s a shame. Just goes to show we aren’t as big a draw as we think we are at this level.

Ideally I’d have signed him and loaned brockbank out - feels to me like he needs regular football now to push on.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:31 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:30 pm
That’s a shame. Just goes to show we aren’t as big a draw as we think we are at this level.

Ideally I’d have signed him and loaned brockbank out - feels to me like he needs regular football now to push on.
Perhaps, but he doesn't have to move house this way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:32 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Does his moby keep pinging with lots of incoming messages?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:33 pm

officer_dibble wrote:

He went there after us didn’t he last season? I suspect that the timing he was here hasn’t helped and also as said below he’s from down there so might not want to uproot for a year to live in the hotel here.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:35 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:31 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

Perhaps, but he doesn't have to move house this way
I'd suspect the relocation side of things plays a bigger part than most people realise.

Not sure we were ever back in for Kioso, would've been a good acquisition but can't imagine he was in the running.

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:36 pm

He went to Northampton after he left here didn’t he? I think you’re right about him not wanting to move North though and probably MK we’re offering bigger money anyway. Whatever IE says about us being a big club, it’s still money that talks with many players at the end of the day.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:45 pm

Whitesince63 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:36 pm
He went to Northampton after he left here didn’t he?
Aye. They went down as we came up.