Will made to measure suit us? V Burton at the Unibol 8-0'clock Monday.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will made to measure suit us? V Burton at the Unibol 8-0'clock Monday.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:35 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:33 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:15 pm
Was a superb performance we did absolutely nothing wrong. Do wonder what game people watch. Isgrove was outstanding.
Not sure ‘outstanding’ is accurate. His poor crossing and finishing do cost us, as much as his industry is a big positive going forwards and back.

I thought Gordon looked like he belonged tonight, and you can see his confidence building. Quite a turnaround for the lad.
His movement is literally how we played so well. He’s making us tick coming off the line and playing. I’d say he and Dapo were 10/10’s today. Not keen on Issys corners but there we are Sheehan was missed there.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:38 pm

I agreed re Gordon right up until the sending off. Then he became the spare man and had 3 or 4 occasions where Declan John would have created a goal. The worst one being when he was free in the box and he crossed at just the point they wanted him to, when checking back and hitting it would have created a chance. For me that side of his game needs some work if he’s to make it here. He did himself no harm and looked ‘up to it’, but I’m thinking with John v 10 men we score, or look more likely to anyway.

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:18 pm
Whitesince63 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:16 pm
Absolutely excellent performance tonight and with the chances we missed, especially Kachunga, you can’t just blame the ref. Yes the goal should have stood and yes it was a penalty but we should have won this game comfortably. Once again Doyler never got into the game and if I’m being honest, he should have put his chance away before Lee’s goal was disallowed and who was it who was offside? It’s not the first time Doyle’s been too slow to get back. It’s ok saying if we keep playing like that we’ll be ok but if you don’t have players who can score you won’t win anything. Doyle isn’t a target man and I’m afraid Kachunga doesn’t look like a replacement for me, more a winger. We can cling to the hope that Baka might help but he’s hardly got a prolific record. If Sturridge is a realistic option then Sharon and IE need to do everything they can to bring him in otherwise we just don’t look like having enough to take advantage of our brilliant approach play.
Are you on drugs or just a wind up? Sturridge is bandied round as a joke. We couldn’t afford his little toe.

The goal was incorrectly ruled out. That’s all there is to it. Doyle played very well tonight.

You may be right about Sturridge Insane and you’re definitely right about the goal but if you really think Doyle played very well tonight then you’re easily impressed. He never got in the game, missed the chance he should have buried from Dapo’s brilliant pass to him and still managed to get himself offside ruling out the eventual goal from Lee. Other than that he hardly touched the ball and is too lightweight to challenge. After tonight you may well be right about where we’ll finish this season because after such a brilliant performance from most of our players, we still couldn’t manage a win so that’s another 2 points wasted like the 3 we lost at Cambridge. IE claimed we didn’t need another striker but after tonight I’d seriously beg to differ.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:48 pm

The officials will rightly face the brunt of the criticism but the best teams, when being so dominant, take that out of the equation.

Our build up play, positioning, and work rate were outstanding, as they often are. The problem, in my opinion, is that we weren't quite good enough to make it count. Afolayan was a genuine threat but our only proper one.

The above is an observation rather than a criticism, though. Evatt is extracting plenty of value from the players he has.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:49 pm

I haven't changed my view on Kachunga as a player with much to offer. I just think he needs to score a goal to get him going.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:51 pm

Probably our best 90-minute performance of the season so far. Did everything but score (except we did. Bastard ref). Keep playing like that, and some sorry side is in for an absolute tonking off us this season. Still with Sheehan, John, Amaechi, Bakayoko to come back in too.

Yeah, we've been robbed of two points. But tonight is not a night to be disheartened.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:54 pm

Whitesince63 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:41 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Whitesince63 wrote:
Absolutely excellent performance tonight and with the chances we missed, especially Kachunga, you can’t just blame the ref. Yes the goal should have stood and yes it was a penalty but we should have won this game comfortably. Once again Doyler never got into the game and if I’m being honest, he should have put his chance away before Lee’s goal was disallowed and who was it who was offside? It’s not the first time Doyle’s been too slow to get back. It’s ok saying if we keep playing like that we’ll be ok but if you don’t have players who can score you won’t win anything. Doyle isn’t a target man and I’m afraid Kachunga doesn’t look like a replacement for me, more a winger. We can cling to the hope that Baka might help but he’s hardly got a prolific record. If Sturridge is a realistic option then Sharon and IE need to do everything they can to bring him in otherwise we just don’t look like having enough to take advantage of our brilliant approach play.
Are you on drugs or just a wind up? Sturridge is bandied round as a joke. We couldn’t afford his little toe.

The goal was incorrectly ruled out. That’s all there is to it. Doyle played very well tonight.

You may be right about Sturridge Insane and you’re definitely right about the goal but if you really think Doyle played very well tonight then you’re easily impressed. He never got in the game, missed the chance he should have buried from Dapo’s brilliant pass to him and still managed to get himself offside ruling out the eventual goal from Lee. Other than that he hardly touched the ball and is too lightweight to challenge. After tonight you may well be right about where we’ll finish this season because after such a brilliant performance from most of our players, we still couldn’t manage a win so that’s another 2 points wasted like the 3 we lost at Cambridge. IE claimed we didn’t need another striker but after tonight I’d seriously beg to differ.
We scored a legitimate goal wrongly ruled out and you are blaming Doyle for trying to follow his shot in? That’s nonsense.

Every side in the world needs a striker. Man City haven’t played with one for two seasons had over 100M burning a hole in their pockets and still couldn’t get one.

You can literally always say ‘we need a striker’. They are a rare commodity and especially so at this level. I’m not even sure you can say we missed a load tonight. We played superbly did all but score and probably missed the final ball more than anything. But Burton stuck 9 behind the ball and the referee denied a good goal and a clear penalty. You can put a striker in there and it won’t be one with as good a record as Doyle and for me when he went off we looked less threatening. Sometimes you don’t get the result you deserve but equally sometimes you have to just accept it wasn’t your day rather than demand thinking we can sign a player expecting a salary that’s probably close to the running cost of our entire squad combined. We have been outstanding tonight can we not just enjoy having a great team to watch?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:55 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:38 pm
I agreed re Gordon right up until the sending off. Then he became the spare man and had 3 or 4 occasions where Declan John would have created a goal. The worst one being when he was free in the box and he crossed at just the point they wanted him to, when checking back and hitting it would have created a chance. For me that side of his game needs some work if he’s to make it here. He did himself no harm and looked ‘up to it’, but I’m thinking with John v 10 men we score, or look more likely to anyway.
Think that’s right. But I’d say Gordon’s athleticism and pace adds an element that John doesn’t give us especially on recovery. For me LG would stay in next game. He earned it.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:58 pm

Exciting game. The players are giving everything and the crowd's responding. 1 to 11 they were all excellent tonight. I just hope collectively we can turn possession and openings into chances and work the opposition keeper more. Overall though, we're progressing well and it's great to experience and be a part of it.

That ref can get to feck though.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:54 pm
Whitesince63 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Whitesince63 wrote:

We scored a legitimate goal wrongly ruled out and you are blaming Doyle for trying to follow his shot in? That’s nonsense.

Every side in the world needs a striker. Man City haven’t played with one for two seasons had over 100M burning a hole in their pockets and still couldn’t get one.

You can literally always say ‘we need a striker’. They are a rare commodity and especially so at this level. I’m not even sure you can say we missed a load tonight. We played superbly did all but score and probably missed the final ball more than anything. But Burton stuck 9 behind the ball and the referee denied a good goal and a clear penalty. You can put a striker in there and it won’t be one with as good a record as Doyle and for me when he went off we looked less threatening. Sometimes you don’t get the result you deserve but equally sometimes you have to just accept it wasn’t your day rather than demand thinking we can sign a player expecting a salary that’s probably close to the running cost of our entire squad combined. We have been outstanding tonight can we not just enjoy having a great team to watch?

Yes Insane, we can agree we were outstanding tonight and we do have a great team to watch. I hope you’re right about Doyler because we so need him to find some form but we can’t keep overlooking the fact that he’s been poor this season so far. Maybe you see something from him I’ve missed but that aside yes let’s just agree that was a first class team performance tonight and only spoiled by atrocious officials.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:07 pm

Whitesince63 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:01 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:54 pm
Whitesince63 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Whitesince63 wrote:

Yes Insane, we can agree we were outstanding tonight and we do have a great team to watch. I hope you’re right about Doyler because we so need him to find some form but we can’t keep overlooking the fact that he’s been poor this season so far. Maybe you see something from him I’ve missed but that aside yes let’s just agree that was a first class team performance tonight and only spoiled by atrocious officials.
He’s scored 3 in 9. Our top scorer. As he was last season.

Doyle is what he is. He’s a fox in the box. He’s probably not my sort of striker ideally but he’s good at what he does and works his socks off. One in three is not ‘poor’. The team needs to share the goals out as we did early doors. You can’t expect Doyle to score them all. And any other striker we bought in would not have Doyle’s goal record.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:24 pm

Think we worked hard tonight, but as HG said, their keeper's not made a memorable save. They also worked hard defensively and we're going to need to find a way to open the gates especially at home. We're still below half way, and that's probably the difference between one League up and this year. That said, we'll almost certainly play worse than that and win and we were indeed robbed, even if the bell end ref can give his reasons for disallowed goal, he seems to be looking right at the shove in the back, from what I've just seen.

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:24 pm

I just don’t see in Doyle what you do Insane, I’m really sorry. Last season he only actually scored 12 goals from open play, the rest were penalties. That’s not fox in the box stuff to me and one of those 3 this year was also a pen. Tonight he never got into the game and when he did get his big chance he fluffed it. Look, we were absolutely brilliant tonight but for me we just never really looked like scoring. It was hard because Burton just parked the bus and got bodies in there but had we had a Super John or an Andy Walker, or even an ALF you’d have expected a goal rather than hoped for one like we did tonight. For me Doyle’s not the answer and I’d be amazed if he gets into double figures this year, even with penalties. IE was wrong in my opinion not to recruit another striker when others did, including young loanees and I just hope that we can stick around the top half until January when he can hopefully put that right but for the moment I’m not convinced by our attacking options and think it needs improving. I take that we’re a job in progress and with our resources it will take time to build the squad so let’s hope that the likes of Doyle and Kachunga can prove me wrong and deliver what we would like them to after all.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:29 pm

Whitesince63 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:24 pm
I just don’t see in Doyle what you do Insane, I’m really sorry. Last season he only actually scored 12 goals from open play, the rest were penalties. That’s not fox in the box stuff to me and one of those 3 this year was also a pen. Tonight he never got into the game and when he did get his big chance he fluffed it. Look, we were absolutely brilliant tonight but for me we just never really looked like scoring. It was hard because Burton just parked the bus and got bodies in there but had we had a Super John or an Andy Walker, or even an ALF you’d have expected a goal rather than hoped for one like we did tonight. For me Doyle’s not the answer and I’d be amazed if he gets into double figures this year, even with penalties. IE was wrong in my opinion not to recruit another striker when others did, including young loanees and I just hope that we can stick around the top half until January when he can hopefully put that right but for the moment I’m not convinced by our attacking options and think it needs improving. I take that we’re a job in progress and with our resources it will take time to build the squad so let’s hope that the likes of Doyle and Kachunga can prove me wrong and deliver what we would like them to after all.
You can keep saying this so tell me which striker available on a free in league one should we have signed? And then tell me their careers goal record vs Doyle’s….

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:38 pm

I thought that was really good. They're third, have beaten Ipswich and Sunderland and we made them look like a lower league team hoping for a cup upset.

The way we play I think people expect us to score a lot of goals but I'll keep banging the drum that it's as much about clean sheets. You consistently keep the ball 60% plus and you aren't going to concede many. Tonight was tough because the tempo was there in the first half in ways it hasn't been a few times this season. Just didn't happen.

Ref had a shocker. Both decisions live I thought looked close. The goal I thought looked fine but one they might give, the pen I didn't think was. Then you see the replay from behind the goal, roughly 180° to the ref (so same angles) and the keeper is at full stretch and slides a yard to just about end up at Doyle's feet. I thought the lino did the right thing, assume he said he's "offside" but I can't see if he was interfering, but the ref should have given it. Really poor.

And then the pen is maybe worse, from the side you think the full back has done well to get tight and just block his run, but then you see from right behind the ref clearly two hands in the back.

I'm sticking with top 8. This team is proper, but might need another window or two.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:53 pm

Problem tonight was not the starters but the bench. The subs were the obvious ones but they made us weaker. I can't help thinking that if Doyle had stayed on we'd have had a better chance of winning. Kachunga may come good but right now he just doesn't seem to fit.
I'm amazed that anyone thinks isgrove was anything less than superb, as was Dapo. I like Doyle but I'd like to see a powerful striker offer a different threat. Hope Baka is back soon.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:02 am

I think there's a player in Kachunga but I think he had basically no pre-season. Think the reserves start this week and I'd have him in there getting minutes. Delf not the one. Real shame Amaechi, Baka are both out, and Kachunga playing catch up all at the same time.

All that said, and despite my confidence in the team, it all changes if Dapo misses any significant period. I was loudly confident about him before the season, but he's been even better than I thought, and we don't seem to have anyone else (reserving judgment on Amaechi) who can commit people in the final third to make space.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:44 am

We played very well to a man. No fault with any player, including the subs nor who they replaced. We had a legitimate goal chalked off. Doyle was inactive and wasn't blocking the keeper's view. That's football. Its very hard to score against a team which have two sets of defending banks, one with 5 and 4 in the other, 9 players plus the keeper defending deep in their half.

This is my takeaway. Teams are now realizing how good we are and that's a credit to Evatt and the players. its not about individuals but the sum total. We are just missing a "big bully" up front (Baka??) to give us the option of crossing in the air as teams seem to know that we will 9 out of 10 times cross low for Doyle. Agree with the views on Gordon, he looked stronger and much improved. Dapo was excellent but the one who really caught my eye the most was Jones..really put in an amazing shift.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:28 am

Excellent performance, our best 90 minute performance for many a year against one of the better League 1 teams. Passing, movement, energy and tempo was excellent all game, legit goal disallowed & a definite penalty at the end denied. We will however regret not bringing in a decent goal scoring centre forward in the summer window, as we don't have a replacement for Doyle.

Dapo was excellent as was Gordon & Williams, in fact they all were - Kachunga however should have buried that header in the 6 yard box near the end all he had to do was direct the cross into the net, and we really should have won the game quite easily but what a performance that was.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:56 am

Doyle is quality. I think the problem is that we dominate possession and then play it wide, meaning the opposition often have plenty of players back (a low block, if you're Evatt). Then, for all their other qualities, Jones and Isgroves' deliveries into the penalty area are woeful. If we don't play it right, we play it left to Afolayan who likes to cut inside. Neither particularly helps a fox in the box like Doyle.