Will made to measure suit us? V Burton at the Unibol 8-0'clock Monday.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Will made to measure suit us? V Burton at the Unibol 8-0'clock Monday.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:01 am

Still not sure how a liner, stood thirty five yards at right angles away from the action, can influence the decision of a ref who's almost on the spot. That a "line of sight" claim opinion from the ref is crackpot enough, but that a liner opinion is even mentioned is a joke. It was a goal and cost us two points. Ref should be ashamed.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:15 am

Whitesince63 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:16 pm
Once again Doyler never got into the game
Wow. I honestly couldn't disagree with you more strongly. I was quite amazed at both his application and endeavor last night.

I've never seen him put a 'shift' in quite like it. Dropping in, getting forward, I just wish that he was still on the field for the last 10 minutes when we put no end of crosses in.

And I thought that I'm often quick to criticise him. :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:27 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:15 am
Whitesince63 wrote:
Wow. I honestly couldn't disagree with you more strongly. I was quite amazed at both his application and endeavor last night.

I've never seen him put a 'shift' in quite like it. Dropping in, getting forward, I just wish that he was still on the field for the last 10 minutes when we put no end of crosses in.

As is well known I'm not Doyle's biggest fan but I thought like you he was good last night and has been this season so far.

His movement has gone up a level and he's integral in dropping into spaces and letting us play round the corner or at times tirelessly running the channels and stretching the opponents when that's what we need.

Also a number of times his movement to lose his man was great in the box second half the cross never was quite good enough to match that.

I also thought he would have possibly got on the end of one of those balls that Kacha and Delf so very nearly did late on. But given he had covid perhaps 90 mins is still a stretch.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:56 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:01 am
Still not sure how a liner, stood thirty five yards at right angles away from the action, can influence the decision of a ref who's almost on the spot. That a "line of sight" claim opinion from the ref is crackpot enough, but that a liner opinion is even mentioned is a joke. It was a goal and cost us two points. Ref should be ashamed.
No problem with the linesman being involved.. He's the one in the position to say Doyle was "offside" in the sense that he was beyond the last defender, which he was. Then it's up to the ref to decide whether he affected the keeper which he clearly didn't from an angle not dissimilar to the ref's.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:01 pm

Think we missed Baka last night. The whole team, including Doyle played really well, dominated the ball, took the sting out of them. For the last 20 we were camped in their half and so it was less about Doyle's movement and more about then breaking them down and making the pressure count. In an ideal world Baka's height and strength come into play as we got into crossing positions for fun. I thought the quality from outside was broadly pretty good. Obviously the odd shocker but they're League One full backs. But they had two well organised centre backs, and none of our front three are particularly good in the air. We still scored one perfectly good goal, had a clear penalty not given (both from crosses) and plenty other half chances and ones that didn't quite drop.

And I'll say again, Burton are third, have beaten Sunderland and Ipswich so far this season, and we made them look like a lower league team hanging on in the cup. Keep playing like that and we're going to go far.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Whitesince63 wrote:

^^ Worked exceptionally hard

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:41 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:01 am
I must admit my first thought (incorrectly) was that Doyle stepped back to avoid the shot so must've been in the way and offside. But my mate has seen the behind the goal angle and says he was well away from him so the rules say the goal should stand.

I agree though tango about how he came to that decision after protests from their players. Very weak refereeing whichever way you look at it.

Unsurprisingly Jimmy Floyd thinks it was the correct decision. 😁 As would Evatt if it had been reversed. Such is the way with these things in football, as KeyseSoze pointed out. But I'm now convinced it was simply wrong on every level.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:42 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:30 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Whitesince63 wrote:

^^ Worked exceptionally hard
He did and always does. He lacks a physical presence but that's just the way it is. You don't get strikers who are the complete package in league 1.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:43 pm

Perhaps there is an argument to say we're having too much of the ball for our own good. When we played Oxford we had less possession but managed to win by them opening up. When we dominate games we're limiting the space in behind the opposition and thereby creating a problem for ourselves. I suspect a sensible solution would be to find a way of breaking the low block as letting the opposition have possession can ultimately hurt us.

Our best result came last season when the opposition opened themselves up trying to score. We had a high press and lots of running at the opposition and were brilliant on the day but I suspect that we benefitted immensely from the opposition getting at us. Perhaps this is why we play from the back to stretch the opposition to go further up field in their press.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:55 pm

Mar wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:43 pm
Perhaps there is an argument to say we're having too much of the ball for our own good. When we played Oxford we had less possession but managed to win by them opening up. When we dominate games we're limiting the space in behind the opposition and thereby creating a problem for ourselves. I suspect a sensible solution would be to find a way of breaking the low block as letting the opposition have possession can ultimately hurt us.

Our best result came last season when the opposition opened themselves up trying to score. We had a high press and lots of running at the opposition and were brilliant on the day but I suspect that we benefitted immensely from the opposition getting at us. Perhaps this is why we play from the back to stretch the opposition to go further up field in their press.
Oxford came to play. So it was end to end. Burton came to sit behind the ball. So we dominated the game and played incredibly well. Can’t do more than we did yesterday. Just didn’t break on the day. We will have many more like that. Just how football is.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:02 pm

Yeah, we get the embarrassingly high possession stats when the oppo let us have it. That leads to what Pru accurately compares to cup-minnow displays from our oppo but the irksome thing is it’s working. Cambridge got three points from 25% possession and Burton an away point from the same. I wholeheartedly agree, both intellectually and emotionally, that I’d prefer to be us than them but we have to find a way to get the goal - and funnily enough it might be set pieces. Once we’re ahead we’re custom-built to pull teams around and tear them apart, but we keep registering bagels. As Pru also says, not too bad if the oppo do too, but that doesn’t always happen.

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:40 pm

Well I think I’m going to have to just agree to disagree with the majority on here on Doyler’s contribution. I never actually said he didn’t work hard, just that he was ineffective. Personally I don’t want him running all over tiring himself out, I want him in the six yard box scoring goals but last night, for all his running channels, he had the least number of touches of the ball of anyone on the pitch. In fairness, anyone can run around a lot but he’s there to do one main job and that’s score and yesterday he had two really good chances to do that and failed, then to make matters worse was, unfortunately and incorrectly I accept, responsible for us losing the one goal we did score by being offside!

I don’t want this to turn into a criticise Doyle situation, I like Doyle and in a team playing to his strengths believe he’ll do well but I’m just not sure we are doing that at the moment. Doyle himself admits he’s not good in the air, he isn’t a target man and doesn’t hold up the ball to bring others into play. He’s fairly lightweight so in tight spaces against big defenders he’s outfought. If we had a physical presence next to him I’m sure he’d benefit from it but even when Baka is fit and playing again, I’m not sure IE will play them together, rather one or the other. Maybe that’s the right thing and let Sheehan and Sarce pick up the lay offs. Obviously it’s down to IE but now that teams have seen how weak we are when they sit in, I can see more of them doing it so either way we need to find a way to overcome it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:49 pm

Whitesince63 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:40 pm
Well I think I’m going to have to just agree to disagree with the majority on here on Doyler’s contribution. I never actually said he didn’t work hard, just that he was ineffective. Personally I don’t want him running all over tiring himself out, I want him in the six yard box scoring goals but last night, for all his running channels, he had the least number of touches of the ball of anyone on the pitch. In fairness, anyone can run around a lot but he’s there to do one main job and that’s score and yesterday he had two really good chances to do that and failed, then to make matters worse was, unfortunately and incorrectly I accept, responsible for us losing the one goal we did score by being offside!

I don’t want this to turn into a criticise Doyle situation, I like Doyle and in a team playing to his strengths believe he’ll do well but I’m just not sure we are doing that at the moment. Doyle himself admits he’s not good in the air, he isn’t a target man and doesn’t hold up the ball to bring others into play. He’s fairly lightweight so in tight spaces against big defenders he’s outfought. If we had a physical presence next to him I’m sure he’d benefit from it but even when Baka is fit and playing again, I’m not sure IE will play them together, rather one or the other. Maybe that’s the right thing and let Sheehan and Sarce pick up the lay offs. Obviously it’s down to IE but now that teams have seen how weak we are when they sit in, I can see more of them doing it so either way we need to find a way to overcome it.
Given IE is from the Guardiola school of management he believes you defend as a team and score goals as a team. I'm not sure you'd be in a good place if you're going to judge Doyle just on the goals he scores - even though once again he'll score more than anyone else.

As DSB has said a target man up front was exactly what Burton wanted last night - Doyle pulling them out of position and playing triangles with Jones and Issy clearly was not how they'd prefer to deal with us.

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:49 pm
Whitesince63 wrote:

Given IE is from the Guardiola school of management he believes you defend as a team and score goals as a team. I'm not sure you'd be in a good place if you're going to judge Doyle just on the goals he scores - even though once again he'll score more than anyone else.

As DSB has said a target man up front was exactly what Burton wanted last night - Doyle pulling them out of position and playing triangles with Jones and Issy clearly was not how they'd prefer to deal with us.

Agree on playing as a team Insane and we do but my point is we can do both. Ok we don’t have Baka at the moment but I don’t see why we can’t have a physical presence as well as Doyle pulling them out of position. Most really successful teams have had that mix but IE seems to prefer only one up front a la Parky? Again I look at SKD with those around him who benefitted, Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal have done it. Last night when their full back was sent off, why take Doyle off instead of adding either Kachunga or Delf to our attack against their ten men for the last 8 or 9 minutes? I just think sometimes you have to do what it takes rather than stick to a principle. Look we were superb last night, no getting away from that but we didn’t get what we should and I believe could have. Sometimes you just have to do what it takes.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:15 pm

Whitesince63 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:08 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Whitesince63 wrote:

Agree on playing as a team Insane and we do but my point is we can do both. Ok we don’t have Baka at the moment but I don’t see why we can’t have a physical presence as well as Doyle pulling them out of position. Most really successful teams have had that mix but IE seems to prefer only one up front a la Parky? Again I look at SKD with those around him who benefitted, Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal have done it. Last night when their full back was sent off, why take Doyle off instead of adding either Kachunga or Delf to our attack against their ten men for the last 8 or 9 minutes? I just think sometimes you have to do what it takes rather than stick to a principle. Look we were superb last night, no getting away from that but we didn’t get what we should and I believe could have. Sometimes you just have to do what it takes.
I literally cannot think of a single team who play two up front? He took Doyle off on 70 minutes - so well before sending off. Then at sending off he sent Delf on for Dapo who was knackered and looked like he'd taken a knock.

Teams just don't play two strikers as a pair anymore.

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:15 pm
Whitesince63 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Whitesince63 wrote:

I literally cannot think of a single team who play two up front? He took Doyle off on 70 minutes - so well before sending off. Then at sending off he sent Delf on for Dapo who was knackered and looked like he'd taken a knock.

Depends what you mean by two strikers doesn’t it. SKD played alongside Youri, Diouf, Speed, Stellios and Nobby, and other, who all contributed to the goal account. What I’m saying is that a specific target man would give us options that we don’t have with just Doyler up top. Other than on the floor, which is great when we can, we have no other option to mix it up. I’m sure that when Baka gets in it will be the likes of Sheehan, Dapo and Sarce who benefit most from his lay offs and I don’t see why Doyle, who I consider more an old type inside forward than an out and out front man, wouldn’t also benefit. By the way PSG now have Cavani, Mbappe and Neymar up front just for starters but I suppose they aren’t strikers in your opinion? 🤔🤗

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:09 pm

Whitesince63 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:02 pm
enefit

. By the way PSG now have Cavani, Mbappe and Neymar up front just for starters but I suppose they aren’t strikers in your opinion? 🤔🤗
They also have Sergio Ramos (a defender who scores) and Leo Messi.... :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:16 pm

Whitesince63 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:02 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:15 pm
Whitesince63 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Whitesince63 wrote:

Depends what you mean by two strikers doesn’t it. SKD played alongside Youri, Diouf, Speed, Stellios and Nobby, and other, who all contributed to the goal account. What I’m saying is that a specific target man would give us options that we don’t have with just Doyler up top. Other than on the floor, which is great when we can, we have no other option to mix it up. I’m sure that when Baka gets in it will be the likes of Sheehan, Dapo and Sarce who benefit most from his lay offs and I don’t see why Doyle, who I consider more an old type inside forward than an out and out front man, wouldn’t also benefit. By the way PSG now have Cavani, Mbappe and Neymar up front just for starters but I suppose they aren’t strikers in your opinion? 🤔🤗
Dapo is a striker - he plays off the left like So is Delf. So is Kachunga. And Baka. And we play a front three like most sides including PSG. Your issue seems to be lack of a target man but we’ve got Baka to play there.

PSG describe those players as forwards and all of them have played out wide like we setup. I’m not sure we are setting up or at our level have significantly different sorts of players. We’ve got versatile forwards who can all play up front or across the front three. Doyle probably is the only one you’d say has to be central if he plays.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:52 pm

It's not unheard of still. Burley do it. Southampton do it. But it's rare. And we're not doing it. I'd be surprised if Baka and Doyle start many together when everyone is fit.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:36 am

“Forwards” are a relative concept. I’ve said before that only in table football are formations static and unchanging, so the “phone numbers” in any given formation are only a clue. At ours, Allardyce played a 4-5-1, a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-3-3, depending on who you asked or where the ball was. I’d say our formation this season is similar, with Williams as Warhurst (or Campo or Hierro), Sarce the Nolanesque forward runner, Dapo as Diouf, Izzy as the busy Stelios. SKD was the lone “forward” and very different to Doyler, but each is asked to bring his mates into the game. The wide men are creative attackers but expected to work their balls off too.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I defend their right to have it, but I also have the right to opine that anyone thinking our formation isn’t attacking because it ends in a 1 is taking a hugely simplistic view of it - and that’s before we get into the discussion about the knock-on effects of slinging another body up front in a team whose tactics rely on counter-pressing and overloading.

There is a huge difference between the way this team plays with “one forward” and the way Parky’s doomed Champo battlers lined up in a 4-5———-1.