Contract expiry

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Contract expiry

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:59 am

Unused sub again yesterday. Clearly a long way from starting. Would've been better off in our reserves, but that's easy to say in hindsight.
If I were him I'd been signing that contract quicksmart before it disappears.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:24 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:14 pm
It does seem odd to me that Evatt allowed Politic to go to Port Vale where Darrell Clarke plays with wingbacks and doesn’t seem very open to changing to a back four and a system with out and out wingers.

The obvious link is Flitcroft is director of football at Vale and obviously knows first hand the talent Politic has on a football pitch.

Maybe there were promises from Flitcroft that Dennis would get game time, promises that Darrell Clarke couldn’t give two hoots about because he doesn’t want to play a 21 year old winger at wingback.
It does seem surprising.

I suspect that Politic's lack of contract signing is down to a few things, and i'm speculating here:

Lack of representation of his improvement prior to the injury
Length of contract
Lack of game time prior to signing

I think it would be good for Politic to re-sign. Certainly going on loan doesn't represent him being put out to pasture as Gordon has come back and really kicked on. I rate Politic and I suspect that he would make a nice covering option to the likes of Sarcevic.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:41 pm

Mar wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:24 pm
I suspect that Politic's lack of contract signing is down to a few things, and i'm speculating here:

Lack of representation of his improvement prior to the injury
Length of contract
Lack of game time prior to signing
All reasonable guesses, to which I would add "Thinks he might get a better offer elsewhere" - especially if he/agent thinks we've not offered enough money. I don't know if that's the case, but it's always, always a possibility in contract negotiations.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:21 pm

Darcy not in Sogndal’s squad today 🤷🏻

Not a tremendous spell for our loanees.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:36 am

“Next summer a total of 20 players could become free agents at the University of Bolton Stadium, including first team stars Kieran Lee, Antoni Sarcevic, Nathan Delfouneso, Matt Gilks and Liam Gordon.

MJ Williams is also in the list, although he has a 12-month extension clause in his contract which will most likely be triggered by appearances.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... t-players/

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:27 pm

The situation in picture form:

C189E524-8E99-4BF7-A7CF-B3DA80FFA936.png
C189E524-8E99-4BF7-A7CF-B3DA80FFA936.png (85.79 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
I think we’ve got a decent core squad tied down beyond the end of the season there to build on. We just need a little extra sprinkling of quality to really push on.

I wouldn’t mind an improvement between the sticks, but Dixon has shown he’s a serviceable GK in this division.

Santos and Johnston have the makings of a good CB partnership at this level so I think we’re set there.

A fully fit John is definitely a starting LB for a side pushing for promotion in this division and Afolayan in front him makes for an enviable attacking force on the left flank.

You’d probably want a bit more end product from your RB if you’re challenging for promotion, but you can’t complain with Jones’s defensive solidity and work rate. His ability to play at LB in an emergency also makes him a good asset to have.

Isgrove is similar to Jones in that you can’t fault his work rate but you probably want a bit more quality in the final third if you want to get out of this league, so would be good if we could improve there.

I think it’s safe to assume that MJ Williams will be here next season and him and Sheehan seem to complement each other well. We could maybe do with adding a bit more quality in the CAM position to unlock teams that defend deeper against us.

I think we’d need an improvement at CF to really put us in the upper echelons of the division but that’s obviously a lot easier said than done.

In terms of the guys out of contract, I’d look to offer extensions to Sarcevic, Lee, Thomason, Politic and maybe Senior. Can’t comment on the other youngsters (Alexander, Hutchinson, Lockett and Fitzmartin) as I haven’t seen much of them. Hutchinson sounds like a good prospect though.

This is based on us starting next season in L1. Clearly it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that we get promoted this season - that would then require a massive upgrade in quality to survive in the Championship.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:35 pm

Good analysis. I somehow suspect we will lose a few to fees so might be needing to rebuild somewhat. Far from convinced that Santos and Johnston are a promotion winning CB pairing. But we will see.

Rest is sound analysis. Though I think Jones is fine and one of our most consistent players. His crossing is maybe his biggest weakness but it was a peach for Kachunga on Tuesday.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:35 pm
Good analysis. I somehow suspect we will lose a few to fees so might be needing to rebuild somewhat. Far from convinced that Santos and Johnston are a promotion winning CB pairing. But we will see.

Rest is sound analysis. Though I think Jones is fine and one of our most consistent players. His crossing is maybe his biggest weakness but it was a peach for Kachunga on Tuesday.

Thanks Insane. I think that with a bit more time playing together and getting used to L1, Santos and Johnston will be more than solid. If a marked improvement on either of them became available for the right wages though, I wouldn’t say no :D

Do love me some Gethin Jones but can’t help think how much better our attacking output would be if he was more of a goal threat/chance creator. He takes that chance against Rotherham in the first half and it’s a different game…

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:15 pm

It's alarming, I guess, but only really through weight of numbers. Assuming it's right MJ has an extra year, there's only Sarce and Lee individually I'd be worried about, and Lee turns 34 a month after the season ends (and two weeks after I do).

Think Jones is being very hard done to, been so impressed with him so far this year after wondering whether he could step up. Along with MJ and Daps our three standouts. If he had end product he'd be a top half Champo player.

If he carries on like this Dapo will be playing championship football next year, with us or not. But he's ok a decent contract and as much as I love the little ratbag might be one where you take biggish money and add that quality across the squad.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:54 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:15 pm
It's alarming, I guess, but only really through weight of numbers. Assuming it's right MJ has an extra year, there's only Sarce and Lee individually I'd be worried about, and Lee turns 34 a month after the season ends (and two weeks after I do).

Think Jones is being very hard done to, been so impressed with him so far this year after wondering whether he could step up. Along with MJ and Daps our three standouts. If he had end product he'd be a top half Champo player.

If he carries on like this Dapo will be playing championship football next year, with us or not. But he's ok a decent contract and as much as I love the little ratbag might be one where you take biggish money and add that quality across the squad.
Agree on Jones. I’d have Kioso over him in the most ideal of worlds but not happening.

As for Dapo as you say good money and reinvest it. I can’t see him being here next season either way and frankly it might be a good thing to be able to strengthen in key areas and we might be seeing his absolute peak right now.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:35 pm

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:46 pm

That is great news. Gives us some much needed solidity and even if we were to improve each of those positions with better players then you couldn't quibble with those guys as back up :pissed: They've shown they can/have the potential to play at this level and I think they've all earned these contract extensions.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:50 pm

Very positive news and goes to show things are always being worked on behind the scenes and there's a coherent recruitment and retainment strategy in place.

The length of Gethin's deal initially took me by surprise but it does make sense. He's an adequate starting RB for us in L1 for this season. We'd be foolish not to upgrade sometime in the near future, but I wouldn't be upset if he was our starting RB August next year. I think he'd then be a solid backup RB in the Championship as well, if we get promoted in the next few seasons.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:07 pm

This was us triggering MJ's extension, right?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:31 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:07 pm
MJ, Lee, Thomo and Jones.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:39 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:31 pm
The_Gun wrote:
MJ, Lee, Thomo and Jones.
Sorry, I wasn't clear there. I believe we had put an option in MJ's contract which would allow us to extend it by a year, so I think this is just confirmation that we've triggered it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:44 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Doesn’t sound like it. Sounds like a new deal has been signed. Options usually are described as such and unlikely that could happen without new agreement in November.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:30 pm

Good news.

As an aside I wonder if this is part of the reason Sarce spat his dummy - not being offered an extension/ not happy with terms?

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:40 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:30 pm
Good news.

As an aside I wonder if this is part of the reason Sarce spat his dummy - not being offered an extension/ not happy with terms?

We announce contract extensions 48 hours before Sarce rocks up - what a coincidence!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:42 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:50 pm
The length of Gethin's deal initially took me by surprise but it does make sense. He's an adequate starting RB for us in L1 for this season. We'd be foolish not to upgrade sometime in the near future, but I wouldn't be upset if he was our starting RB August next year. I think he'd then be a solid backup RB in the Championship as well, if we get promoted in the next few seasons.
What's perhaps also interesting about Gethin is that he only signed a two-year deal in the summer.
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2021/may/wa ... -new-deal/
So this is basically a year's extension, as it is for the other three. Why we've done that now is up for conjecture, not that I mind particularly.