Pompey and Circumstances...V. Portsmouth away Sat 30th Oct 3.O'clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Pompey and Circumstances...V. Portsmouth away Sat 30th Oct 3.O'clock

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:41 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:37 pm
I remember towards the end of the Allardyce era, hoping that we wouldn't go one-up after 10 minutes, as basically, we may all as well have buggered-off then :D
Heh! Funny innit. Under Parky, it was pretty much certain that whoever scored first would win. That first season I almost always had utter confidence that it'd be us, and if so that we'd keep a clean sheet; the only question was whether we'd add some grace goals. Trouble is, in Parky's second season the same general rule applied - first scorer tended to win - and it was almost never us... by the third season, after that bizarre anomoalous August, it was just awaiting the inevitable...

Nowadays, first goal seems important again but I've genuinely no idea whether we'll get it. 4-0 or 0-4 feels just as possible today. Curious time to be alive but better than just expecting 0-4. :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:04 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:41 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:37 pm
I remember towards the end of the Allardyce era, hoping that we wouldn't go one-up after 10 minutes, as basically, we may all as well have buggered-off then :D
Heh! Funny innit. Under Parky, it was pretty much certain that whoever scored first would win. That first season I almost always had utter confidence that it'd be us, and if so that we'd keep a clean sheet; the only question was whether we'd add some grace goals. Trouble is, in Parky's second season the same general rule applied - first scorer tended to win - and it was almost never us... by the third season, after that bizarre anomoalous August, it was just awaiting the inevitable...

Nowadays, first goal seems important again but I've genuinely no idea whether we'll get it. 4-0 or 0-4 feels just as possible today. Curious time to be alive but better than just expecting 0-4. :D
I'm not sure it's possible to agree more! :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:04 pm

Aimson in for Johnston (benched).
Delf in too - on the left with Dapo at 10, perhaps? We seem to have four forwards, plus a winger at full-back...
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:06 pm

All aboard the "We'll shit em" train.

COYWM!!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:13 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:06 pm

COYWM!!!
Agreed, but knowing your in-game personality, you'll be whingeing by five past, you mardy get :D

Interesting perhaps to note the makeup of the bench. A goalkeeper, an entire back four, Tomo and Sheehan. But as far as I can see he literally has no other registered, fit senior players.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:14 pm

About what people expected then. Aimson improved us when he came on against Gillingham, Izzy stays at right back and Dapo moves to the middle.

No idea what to predict, will just watch with interest and some hope.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:15 pm

Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:13 pm
Interesting perhaps to note the makeup of the bench. A goalkeeper, an entire back four, Tomo and Sheehan. But as far as I can see he literally has no other registered, fit senior players.
He could either stick with what has been failing for a few games or twist. Had to happen. Tough time for the boss.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:16 pm

No complaints here. Johnston's been less effective of late and Sheehan was inexplicably shite last week.

It's in all our interests.
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:20 pm

Personally I’d of brought Thomason into midfield, at least try and keep it tight first half. Leaves one attacking option on the bench. Feels to open to me, but I won’t be complaining if we go 2-0 up before half time!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:28 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:15 pm
He could either stick with what has been failing for a few games or twist. Had to happen. Tough time for the boss.
It is. Like Dibble I might have been tempted to start with an extra midfielder, giving the option to gear up later, but I'm not Evatt.

For the record, I've no quibble with trying Aimson instead of Johnston - something has to change at the back. Hard not to argue that something should also change up front, and he's basically played all his cards at once. It's ballsy. Big asks on Delf, Dapo and Kacha to dig back and help Lee/Williams.

If it works, marvellous. If it doesn't, well, I have to admit it does have a slight air of Wembley about it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:40 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:06 pm

COYWM!!!
Agreed, but knowing your in-game personality, you'll be whingeing by five past, you mardy get :D

Nowt much changing up-front if they're misfiring.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:43 pm

I read that starting eleven as Evatt prioritising experience and reliability. Not dissimilar to the approach he adopted around this time last year.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:50 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:43 pm
I read that starting eleven as Evatt prioritising experience and reliability. Not dissimilar to the approach he adopted around this time last year.
I see what you're saying, Nicko; let's be kind and file, say, Kacha/Delf under "experience". And as I say, there's not a lot of alternatives - 3 of the 4 bench defenders are definitely reserves now, and a good showing from Aimson might make Johnston the fourth; Thomo has never been first choice this season; Sheehan has visibly shrunk as the season progressed.

Just worried that it's very very light in midfield. Big calls on the 3 of the 4231 to drop back - but also arguably for Lee to restrict his natural impulses to fly forward, or we'll have MJ totally isolated in front of another new back four.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:51 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:40 pm
The other view being that if they can't do anything over 90 they're unlikely to radically change a game as a sub. It's not like we have a load of high-burn, "exceptional for 30 minutes but then fades" players out there. Also no real pace to challenge tired legs late on.

It could go horribly wrong, but I'm not sure what he loses by trying it. Delf and Kachunga are unlikely to let us down for graft, if nothing else.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:55 pm

Kiran and MJ have their work cut out today. That front 3 has a whiff of relegation dogfight about it.
Relying almost entirely on Dapo to produce again. Let's hope the change of role will throw them off his scent.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:56 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:55 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:53 pm
We're bound to create some chances; if our front men can convert a couple and the shooting boots aren't looking out for the Spanish Armada, we may be in for points. COME ON YOU WHITES... DOYLE TO WIN THE DAY.. :oyea: :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:59 pm

Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:50 pm
Just worried that it's very very light in midfield. Big calls on the 3 of the 4231 to drop back - but also arguably for Lee to restrict his natural impulses to fly forward, or we'll have MJ totally isolated in front of another new back four.
We will find out. For me, we looked more solid in midfield when we moved Dapo inside vs Gills, purely because he can run a bit. The biggest issue we have through the middle is that not one of our mids can catch anyone over 10 yards.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:00 pm

Come on you baffling, brilliant, buggardly, barnstorming, beautiful, bamboozling Bolton bastards.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:04 pm

COYW

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:04 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:51 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:40 pm
The other view being that if they can't do anything over 90 they're unlikely to radically change a game as a sub. It's not like we have a load of high-burn, "exceptional for 30 minutes but then fades" players out there. Also no real pace to challenge tired legs late on.

It could go horribly wrong, but I'm not sure what he loses by trying it. Delf and Kachunga are unlikely to let us down for graft, if nothing else.
Well the other view suggests no point trying owt different. Strange way to view a bench. Anyway, I'm ignoring my phone and any messages until 15:20, now.