More Tin Pot Than Gold Cup - Jockeying For Position vs Cheltenham At Home (3pm 27/11/21)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

More Tin Pot Than Gold Cup - Jockeying For Position vs Cheltenham At Home (3pm 27/11/21)

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:50 pm

11th place Bolton welcome 10th place Cheltenham.

An interesting fixture against a team that has found form since a system change a few games ago.

We are, of course, in somewhat of an injury crisis and will likely have just 13 senior players available for Saturday.

Cheltenham have scored 7 goals in the past 4 games since they switched up how they play, each scored by a different player. They kept their first clean sheet in 7 league games last time out against Gillingham, only their 3rd clean sheet of the season (though they also kept Gillingham out in a cup replay). They're the only team in the top half to have conceded more goals that we have.

This is a much tougher game than it would have been a few weeks ago, but we do seem to have found some fight in response to adversity.

*edit* Error on my part, we beat them 0-1 at their place.
Last edited by GhostoftheBok on Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: More Tin Pot Than Gold Cup - Jockeying For Position vs Cheltenham At Home (3pm 27/11/21)

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:09 pm

We won at their place didn’t we? That marvelous last minute Ryan Delaney winner, our only goal celebrated by a fan inside the ground all season…

Will be happy with a point, not distraught if we lose. Anything but another injury / suspension.
Last edited by officer_dibble on Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: More Tin Pot Than Gold Cup - Jockeying For Position vs Cheltenham At Home (3pm 27/11/21)

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:09 pm

Good thread title Ghost. Reminded me of Bill Ridding saying to Alan Ball "You're too small for a footballer; have you thought of being a jockey? :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:14 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:09 pm
We won at their place didn’t we? That marvelous last minute Ryan Delaney winner, our only goal celebrated by a fan inside the ground all season…

Will be happy with a point, not distraught if we lose. Anything but another injury / suspension.
Cheers for that. You're spot on.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:16 pm

officer_dibble wrote:

We did. To the delight of the few supporters lucky enough watch us live last season. If I remember correctly, on the balance of play it was three points we probably didn't deserve. That only made it sweeter, of course.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:01 am

Am I right in thinking the chap that takes their long throws went to wrexham earlier this season?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:10 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:01 am
Am I right in thinking the chap that takes their long throws went to wrexham earlier this season?
Yes. Perhaps there was some family reason.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:08 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:10 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:01 am
Yes. Perhaps there was some family reason.
:mrgreen:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:05 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Good thread title Ghost. Reminded me of Bill Ridding saying to Alan Ball "You're too small for a footballer; have you thought of being a jockey? :D

Unfortunately the "you're too short so sling yer hook" folly didn't stop with the soon-to-be World Cup winner, Alan Ball. See also;

David Brooks - Welsh international, taken on by Sheffield Utd before being sold to Bournemouth for £11.5 million.

Aaron Ramsdale - England and Arsenal goalie, and provider of quite possibly the save of the century to date. Another one taken in by the Blades before being transferred to Bournemouth, and then back to Bramhall Lane for a reported fee of £18.5 million.

I keep planning on writing to the club to suggest that next time we're about to jettison a young hopeful by dint of them being too short, might it not be an idea to ask them how tall their dad is first? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:05 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:

Unfortunately the "you're too short so sling yer hook" folly didn't stop with the soon-to-be World Cup winner, Alan Ball. See also;

David Brooks - Welsh international, taken on by Sheffield Utd before being sold to Bournemouth for £11.5 million.

Aaron Ramsdale - England and Arsenal goalie, and provider of quite possibly the save of the century to date. Another one taken in by the Blades before being transferred to Bournemouth, and then back to Bramhall Lane for a reported fee of £18.5 million.

I keep planning on writing to the club to suggest that next time we're about to jettison a young hopeful by dint of them being too short, might it not be an idea to ask them how tall their dad is first? :conf:
I saw Ramsdale say the other day that he'd been released by Bolton because he was too small and couldn't kick, which he accepted was true at the time.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Indeed, a pity they don't include intelligence in the criteria Bruce. I remember a lad who played for Eagley Mills in the Bolton combination League who was small and slight with prematurely grey hair. He was one of the most intelligent footballers I ever came across.He wasn't young either.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:48 pm

I could moan for hours about the way we've run our academy over the last 20 years. Hopefully FV can kick it into gear. The clear-out of staff was much needed, regardless of whether or not they were loved as players. The atmosphere was horrendous for a long, long time.

Onwards and upwards.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:56 pm

While we have a day's grace before the serious stuff kicks in, Just a word on behaviour and what refs now allow. There was a time when running into the back of a player was a foul, thus was shirt grabbing all - in - wrestling, shoving a player off the ball and tripping. All these things seem par for the course right now. Add in unsporting behaviour like massive yardage pinching on throw-ins,( pointing and walking then letting another player come and do the same, kicking the ball away against free kicks and blatant time-wasting tactics.Some things are just annoying like ball wiping on towels (a la Dave Challinor) and not giving the opposition keeper the ball back for goal kicks. None of these are go to jail offences, but two teams have seen players red carded against us in the last month for thuggery.

Does make you wonder just what the actual rule books say. We've had our share of ruffians (going as far back a Ball and Banks even) but in this league it seems almost a university degree level is allowed. It can't be just me noticed surely...or can it?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:22 pm

Isgrove's out for 12 weeks. Marvellous 🙄
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:40 pm

Course he is.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:47 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:22 pm
Isgrove's out for 12 weeks. Marvellous 🙄
A real kick in the cobblers that.If we can afford getting hammered never mind winning, it will be a miracle. Quite a few will need to stand up and be counted. Casualty isn't in it right now.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:52 pm

Looool. feck* actual sake.

Evatt didn't plant any coins in the goal mouth did he??
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:02 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

PG "Any chance this lad could grow and develop into a great keeper/asset for us?"
DF "Nah. Lets give Ben Amos £16k a week for the next 3 years instead"
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:06 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:02 pm
PG "Any chance this lad could grow and develop into a great keeper/asset for us?"
DF "Nah. Lets give Ben Amos £16k a week for the next 3 years instead"
PG: "We're putting a lot of money into the academy. When will we see some returns?"
DF: "We don't have an academy. Palace have an academy. We have some kids doing PE." (close to an actual quote)
JP: "I'll try screaming at them a bit more, Phil."

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:39 pm

Small point of order: Can't blame Doogie for Amos. Lennon loaned him, then Lennon signed him permanently - according to the rumour, simply crossing out Bogdan's name on the contract we'd offered to try to keep him from joining Liverpool.

January 2015 was quite the time for ideas. Besides hiring a holographic goalkeeper, Lennon was also convinced by compatriot Brendan Rodgers, around the time of our cup games against Liverpool, that he simply must play a back three. You know the phrase "and from then we never looked back"? Well, try "and from then we never looked forward."