January 2022 Transfer Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:30 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:23 pm
Is the internet down in Ireland?
It's official.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:31 pm

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:31 pm

Speak of the devil…

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:37 pm

This makes sense if we bring in a proven goalscorer or a more complete striking option.

Otherwise if strikes me as somewhat akin to Sarce in that for all Doyle’s faults I find it hard to see us finding a player with close to his goals record over a few years let alone a decade.

Enjoyed Doylar in the run in so thanks Eoin for the goals. He was a worker but often ineffective.

I hope to god we have something properly secured because with covid this doesn’t strike me as a window to let a player go in till you are 100% certain you have their replacement. Especially strikers. More questions if we don’t have another in on Monday for me. More questions that won’t be answered but the pressure will be growing.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:43 pm

IMG_20220107_184120.jpg
IMG_20220107_184120.jpg (3.74 MiB) Viewed 704 times
Looks to be an amicable parting of ways.
Last edited by TonyDomingos on Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:43 pm

Doyle's open letter and the club statements are emphasising that he was the one who wanted to go. The St.Pats manager is essentially saying he tapped Doyle up and got a positive response, even though he's saying it in a friendly way.

If the lad wanted out then fair enough. Time to move on.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:46 pm

Obvious comparisons with the Sarcevic fiasco. This time they have the opportunity to sign a replacement now - and he wasn’t good enough at this level, certainly he wasn’t going to get even 5 from open play this season. We have to use the wage and the budget to sign someone now - else it’s got the potential for another fine Markham and Evatt mess.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:47 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:43 pm
Doyle's open letter and the club statements are emphasising that he was the one who wanted to go. The St.Pats manager is essentially saying he tapped Doyle up and got a positive response, even though he's saying it in a friendly way.

He wanted to go. But I’ve no doubt we could have waited till we had a replacement. Their season hasn’t started yet. End of the day Evatt has made a decision. Let’s see how it goes.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:47 pm
He wanted to go. But I’ve no doubt we could have waited till we had a replacement. Their season hasn’t started yet. End of the day Evatt has made a decision. Let’s see how it goes.
Sure, though we have let him go in time for St.Pat's preseason, with their first match on the 18th of next month.

It's obviously a call, as is any transfer. Evatt will have to take whatever credit or blame comes from it.

Will be interesting to see who we bring in.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:52 pm

It's during the January transfer window, so nothing like the Sarcevic departure, although I'm not convinced the two aren't connected in some way.
As for his goals record, I thank and respect him for his contribution, particularly last season, but it's weak this season. Given the level we're now playing at I don't think he's a loss.
Good luck to him anyway, he'll probably bag loads over there and I hope he does. Could be a great way to finish a career.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

Isn't Charles his replacement? We've also got Baka back fit and 3 weeks to add more.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:57 pm

I think we were told we would be signing a forward and not letting anyone go without a replacement…so I think(hope?) we’ve another lined up.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:57 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:52 pm
It's during the January transfer window, so nothing like the Sarcevic departure, although I'm not convinced the two aren't connected in some way.
Football rumours usually have some truth to them, even if the predictions from them fail.

I've no doubt the suggestion that Doyle's departure was set at the same time as Sarce's had some basis. Sarce had to go immediately due to (fairly obviously now) kicking off with the manager. Whatever Doyle contributed to that going off probably numbered his days, which is why he wasn't made captain.

Doesn't matter anymore. He's earnt the gratitude of the fans for getting us up and now we need to find other players who can do the same.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:00 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:53 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

Isn't Charles his replacement? We've also got Baka back fit and 3 weeks to add more.
We didn’t have enough strikers. So Charles alone is nowhere near enough.

And we’ve released a man with a goal scoring record better than everyone else in our side put together. In a side that struggled for goals.

I don’t doubt Doyle was struggling. But Bakayoko and Charles are nowhere near enough or good enough or strong enough to be what we’ve got. We are light on goals and Charles has one season of league goals and Baka rarely has hit double figures.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:00 pm
Charles...nowhere near enough or good enough
After, what, 70 mins in a White Shirt? Jesus.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:10 pm

Good luck Eoin. Outstanding last season and our best penalty taker since SKD or Jeff Chandler. Seemed like a really nice bloke too.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:12 pm

SKD? Do you mean SJM? SKDs penalties were not all that!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:27 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:03 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:00 pm
Charles...nowhere near enough or good enough
After, what, 70 mins in a White Shirt? Jesus.
No. If you are confident that Charles is the man to solve our problems and we don’t need another option then fine.

But I am not. And I see scant evidence that he’s one we can necessarily bank on to score the goals this season and next that we need. Or lead the line how we need.

It’s one thing swapping Doyle for Charlie Wyke who is a proven goalscorer and hoping he stays fit. But as we aren’t doing that we have to have some options up there in case one singular one doesn’t work.

Charles may be good enough. But as of now I don’t see him as a sure thing. And therefore I think we need more. Evatt has said as much too. What we need are options up front. More than we have. And more goals generally in the group.

Edit: and whilst it’s not happening if as twitter wants we were signing Cole Stockton then I think we’d be in a good place. With Charles and Stockton two who have hit goals of late and between them we’d not look as light on goals generally. Or as reliant on just one bloke.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:27 pm
Evatt has said as much too.
Evatt has said Charles isn't good enough? Last I saw he was praising his pace, power, work rate and goal scoring ability.

Are you trying to say that Charles isn't enough ON HIS OWN to fix all our attacking issues? If so, yeah, 100%. No one player will be.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:43 pm

I absolutely agree with BWFCI, if we don't bring in another decent striker as well as Charles then this is an awful decision to let Doyle go for free midway through a 3 year contract. I thought that Evatt was looking to improve the squad significantly in this window (Charles & the Fulham full back don't improve us that much IMO in regards to moving up the table) - we have now lost Sarcevic, Doyle & Crawford and haven't really replaced them IMO.

If Evatt doesn't bring in another decent striker very soon, then he & FV will get absolutely hammered for this - what happens if Charles gets injured or gets a 3/4 game ban for his tweets as a kid ?, he's not even match fit.

BWFCI's point about Doyle for Charlie Wyke is also spot on, the club needs to bring in a quality striker with a decent pedigree to replace Doyle if this team is to improve.