January 2022 Transfer Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:36 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:32 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:30 am
Aye, not a general commentary, just on the one where ostensibly it looked a gimmie to square it.
Striker's dilemma. If you mess up either choice you should have picked the other one.
Don't agree on that one, again not having seen it back it looked an absolute gimme for Baka v wide angle and pretty far out for Charles. Wrong decision. But strikers at this level make wrong decisions sometimes.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:37 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:36 am
Don't agree on that one, again not having seen it back it looked an absolute gimme for Baka v wide angle and pretty far out for Charles. Wrong decision. But strikers at this level make wrong decisions sometimes.
I think he should have squared it, but I'm fine with a striker trying his luck.....so long as we win.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:37 am

Ha, yeah you do tend to get away with more then :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:39 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:36 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:32 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:30 am
Aye, not a general commentary, just on the one where ostensibly it looked a gimmie to square it.
Striker's dilemma. If you mess up either choice you should have picked the other one.
Grand. There was far too much agreeing going on for my liking... :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:43 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:37 am
I even let Insane get away with saying Doyle was better on the ball than Charles. We won, I'm not arguing with folk today.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:03 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:43 am
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:37 am
I even let Insane get away with saying Doyle was better on the ball than Charles. We won, I'm not arguing with folk today.
Charles is awful back to goal outside the box. Loses it every time. It’s not a debate worth having. His attributes are elsewhere but he needs a partner.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:03 pm
It’s not a debate worth having.
Oh, well then.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:03 pm
Charles is awful back to goal outside the box. Loses it every time. It’s not a debate worth having. His attributes are elsewhere but he needs a partner.
You are of course entirely right and I agree with you completely.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:03 pm

Odd and probably wholly unlikely idea, but I wonder if we could borrow Jordan Hugill? Frozen out on loan at West Brom, who have already signed an American to replace him; almost certainly unwanted at parent club Norwich, where he managed to score 3 in 31 league games while they won the Champo title. Scoring 13 in 39 on loan second-tier QPR two seasons ago suggests he's not a totally busted flush, but otherwise it's all gone horribly wrong since he left PNE and he clearly needs a reset. His wages would presumably be waaaaaay out of reach but if nobody else wanted him - and it's easy to imagine they don't - I wonder if he'd fancy rekindling his career back in God's county?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:47 pm

Anyone we can pillage from derby? Shinnie has just signed for the ‘noisy neighbours’ for 30 grand.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:57 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:47 pm
Anyone we can pillage from derby? Shinnie has just signed for the ‘noisy neighbours’ for 30 grand.
Haven't had a look in a while, but last time I did I think Shinnie was the best option. Rest are either kids they'll be due compo for, or incredibly old men. I do feel for Derby, they're undergoing a proper sh!tshow there.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:12 am

Millwall seemingly claiming there's varied interest in Bodvarsson and the financial packages aren't quite there yet. Seems like a fairly typical negotiating ploy, but the injury to Bradshaw could be interesting.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... odvarsson/

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:35 am

Surprised to see Luke Matheson go to Scunny on loan. I was sure he'd be back at L1 level rather than a relegation dogfight.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:46 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:12 am
Millwall seemingly claiming there's varied interest in Bodvarsson and the financial packages aren't quite there yet. Seems like a fairly typical negotiating ploy, but the injury to Bradshaw could be interesting.

To be honest it’s sounding an unlikely one to me. And whilst he makes sense I’m not convinced it’s one to break the bank for.

I wonder what other target men are available?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:01 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:46 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:

To be honest it’s sounding an unlikely one to me. And whilst he makes sense I’m not convinced it’s one to break the bank for.

Aye. I wouldn't say it's out of the question but the rival bid and Millwall's apparent insistence on a larger %age of his wage being paid certainly knock it back – as potentially does the injury, if both player and club think second-tier games are in the offing.

Also agree on your second sentence. It's not like he's the world's best player, and we have other targets in other areas to pursue. But as an aside, it kinda shows the huge gap in earnings between L1 and Champo. Millwall are among the division's half-dozen lowest payers (see this Twitter thread for financial comparisons), and this bloke's unwanted. Yep, strikers get more, but the idea that an unwanted player at a low-paying club is still out of our reach is... telling? terrifying?

Finally, "other target men". A completely fair question. Must admit in my previous nosey-arounds I haven't necessarily focused on The Big Men Up Top as I haven't seen them as on Evatt's list, but this formation (and, to be fair, his previous use of Quigley) suggest otherwise. The only one I've seen recently is Hugill, powerful is not towering and certainly unwanted on loan at WBA from Norwich, but Christ alone knows what his wage is.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:09 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:01 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

Aye. I wouldn't say it's out of the question but the rival bid and Millwall's apparent insistence on a larger %age of his wage being paid certainly knock it back – as potentially does the injury, if both player and club think second-tier games are in the offing.

Also agree on your second sentence. It's not like he's the world's best player, and we have other targets in other areas to pursue. But as an aside, it kinda shows the huge gap in earnings between L1 and Champo. Millwall are among the division's half-dozen lowest payers (see this Twitter thread for financial comparisons), and this bloke's unwanted. Yep, strikers get more, but the idea that an unwanted player at a low-paying club is still out of our reach is... telling? terrifying?

Finally, "other target men". A completely fair question. Must admit in my previous nosey-arounds I haven't necessarily focused on The Big Men Up Top as I haven't seen them as on Evatt's list, but this formation (and, to be fair, his previous use of Quigley) suggest otherwise. The only one I've seen recently is Hugill, powerful is not towering and certainly unwanted on loan at WBA from Norwich, but Christ alone knows what his wage is.
Hugill of old would be amazing. He feels more like a Sam Allardyce signing than an Evatt one. Very good player who has lost his way comes in towards end of their career and refinds their form.

I think he’s the right sort but suspect if we are struggling with Bod on wages then Hugill will be even tougher.

Might need to look at league one or two options out of contract in the summer we could get for lower fees I guess.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:10 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

The more I think about the deal and the more I watch him play the more convinced I am that he would offer something.

Dempsey is the big one, though, for me. I think he takes us up a level for 18-30 months.

I've not had much of a look at who could be Plan C on the striker front - Brommers would know more. Evatt is clearly looking for a lad who can do more than hold it up and head it - so that rules out players like Jordan White. Gnanduillet maybe lacks the pace Evatt wants in the role, but has a scoring history at this level.

It's who would be worth a proper contract, rather than trying the wider summer market. Bodvarsson at least lets us have a look at him and then go again in the summer. Maybe Hearts would loan Gnanduillet, I don't know.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:16 am

Jordan Hugill is on "in the region of" 30k a week, of which West Brom are paying most.

Mind the gap.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:20 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:16 am
Jordan Hugill is on "in the region of" 30k a week, of which West Brom are paying most.

Mind the gap.
Yeah we’d snap their hands off for him but they’d be basically paying the vast majority of his wages so feels very unlikely for a 30 year old.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:23 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:10 am
Gnanduillet maybe lacks the pace Evatt wants in the role, but has a scoring history at this level.

It's who would be worth a proper contract, rather than trying the wider summer market. Bodvarsson at least lets us have a look at him and then go again in the summer. Maybe Hearts would loan Gnanduillet, I don't know.
A few things in favour of the Gnanduillet possibility. He's out of contract in summer and Hearts are happy to let him go - loan or permanent, they don't care. He's done well in Lancashire before. And he's also, according to Wikipedia, 6 ft 40 in, so he's a hell of a target. :mrgreen:

Salford have been linked, and they're managed by his old Blackpool boss Gary Bowyer. But they're fourth division. Gnanduillet also turns 30 next month, so personally I'd prefer a loan than a permanent, but with plenty of clubs after him, one or two may offer an 18-month contract.