The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:07 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:59 am
Starmer's on TV doing himself no favours.
Using terms such as "Industrial scale parties" is absolutely cringeworthy, embarrassing, but also, completely unnecessary.
He was very good in parliament at PMQs and very not so good in that interview. It’s his Achilles heel. He just doesn’t interview well. However, the laughable attempts to claim standing with a bottle in your hand between meetings is the same as a series of pre arranged parties that you then lied about weren’t any better than his performance.
Mate - it's exactly the same as him trying to tell an electorate which spans Galstonbury to Download and Creamfields; Wigan Pier, The Hacienda, The Ministry of Sound, Bowlers and wherever the feck the kids go now that cheese and wine on the lawn equals an "Industrial scale party". Finger on the pulse there, Kier.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:48 pm

Bloody hell fire. I'll try to find a clip of this but basically, Nadine Dorries has been addressing some or other body and giving 'evidence' as she basically claims that 'the publicly-funded body, Channel 4, shouldn't be beyond having its books scrutinised, especially being as it's in receipt of public monies'. Seriously. I fecking give up.

Ah. Here we go. Turns out it was 6/7 weeks ago, but still, I imagine we'll see it again if she runs for the leadership.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:00 pm

Saw it. It was Abbottesque.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:48 pm
Bloody hell fire. I'll try to find a clip of this but basically, Nadine Dorries has been addressing some or other body and giving 'evidence' as she basically claims that 'the publicly-funded body, Channel 4, shouldn't be beyond having its books scrutinised, especially being as it's in receipt of public monies'. Seriously. I fecking give up.

Ah. Here we go. Turns out it was 6/7 weeks ago, but still, I imagine we'll see it again if she runs for the leadership.

Nadine Dorries….it’s hard to not see her as the propaganda arm of the Tory party. Always there to spout some utter populist nonsense to try and distract people from the real issues.

Deeply unpleasant. And not very bright either.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:44 pm

The Conservative front bench is THE biggest set of cvnts I have ever known in this country. I feckin detest them
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:27 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:44 pm
The Conservative front bench is THE biggest set of cvnts I have ever known in this country. I feckin detest them
feel that way about most of them now, it's never about us only their party lines shaped by shady folks on all sides.
If the limp Dems were not so far up the greens ass I might consider them.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:44 pm

I see Yvette Cooper has absolutely obliterated Priti ‘unpleasant’ Patel this afternoon in the commons.
Analysis: Patel walks into 'partygate' trap after Sky News interview
By Jon Craig, chief political correspondent
Priti Patel has walked into a Downing Street "partygate" trap set by Labour's Yvette Cooper in the Commons following the home secretary's interview with Sky's Beth Rigby last week.
The shadow home secretary asked Ms Patel why she's now changed her mind after saying in January last year that an illegal party broken up by police was "an insult" to those in hospital with COVID, NHS staff and people staying at home.
It was pretty obvious what was coming. But the home secretary didn't seem to spot it, insisting she stands by her comments. She then went on at some length about the country doing "incredible work", police doing "extraordinary things", following guidance and doing good work to protect the public.
Whoops!
She had walked straight into Ms Cooper's trap! In that case, the shadow home secretary challenged her, how could she defend the prime minister, who'd publicly admitted breaking the rules?
"She isn't even waiting for Sue Gray's report," said Ms Cooper, who reminded her that last Thursday she was asked by Sky News: "Are you reserving judgment until Sue Gray's report is out?"
Yet the home secretary had replied: "No, on the contrary. I have publicly supported the PM."
Whoops, once again!
Ms Cooper said tens of thousands of fines were given out in the months when Downing Street was having parties.
"She told the police to enforce those rules, but now she's defending someone who admitted breaking them!” she continued.
"The home secretary's job is to uphold the rule of law. Does she realise how damaging it is to public trust and to trust in the police to be undermining the rule of law now?"
Game, set and match to the shadow home secretary.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:02 am

Sweary, so :nws: but some excellent work by @Cassetteboy here. :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:47 am

I always see those cassetteboy things and just wonder how long it takes him. Poor guy has to wade through hundreds of hours of Johnson guff to get that together.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:40 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:44 pm
I see Yvette Cooper has absolutely obliterated Priti ‘unpleasant’ Patel this afternoon in the commons.
Analysis: Patel walks into 'partygate' trap after Sky News interview
By Jon Craig, chief political correspondent
Priti Patel has walked into a Downing Street "partygate" trap set by Labour's Yvette Cooper in the Commons following the home secretary's interview with Sky's Beth Rigby last week.
The shadow home secretary asked Ms Patel why she's now changed her mind after saying in January last year that an illegal party broken up by police was "an insult" to those in hospital with COVID, NHS staff and people staying at home.
It was pretty obvious what was coming. But the home secretary didn't seem to spot it, insisting she stands by her comments. She then went on at some length about the country doing "incredible work", police doing "extraordinary things", following guidance and doing good work to protect the public.
Whoops!
She had walked straight into Ms Cooper's trap! In that case, the shadow home secretary challenged her, how could she defend the prime minister, who'd publicly admitted breaking the rules?
"She isn't even waiting for Sue Gray's report," said Ms Cooper, who reminded her that last Thursday she was asked by Sky News: "Are you reserving judgment until Sue Gray's report is out?"
Yet the home secretary had replied: "No, on the contrary. I have publicly supported the PM."
Whoops, once again!
Ms Cooper said tens of thousands of fines were given out in the months when Downing Street was having parties.
"She told the police to enforce those rules, but now she's defending someone who admitted breaking them!” she continued.
"The home secretary's job is to uphold the rule of law. Does she realise how damaging it is to public trust and to trust in the police to be undermining the rule of law now?"
Game, set and match to the shadow home secretary.
Priti Patel's response was that Cooper shouldn't talk about the "Rule of Law" when she's trying to undermine the police by voting against the new policing bill(!!)

Then did that gangsta pointing, talking out of the side of her mouth while moving her head from side to side. She looked a right smarmy cvnt, but then she IS a right smarmy cvnt

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:58 am

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:40 am

Then did that gangsta pointing, talking out of the side of her mouth while moving her head from side to side. She looked a right smarmy cvnt, but then she IS a right smarmy cvnt
To be honest, mate, she can stand on one leg whilst whistling Dixie for all I care.

However, I'm sick to death of her coming out with 'tough approach' rhetoric against a whole range of issues only for absolutely nothing to come of any of it.

What I want to see is a list of things she's claimed 'will happen', set against what (if anything) has actually happened as a result.

She's utterly ineffectual.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:58 am
boltonboris wrote:

To be honest, mate, she can stand on one leg whilst whistling Dixie for all I care.

However, I'm sick to death of her coming out with 'tough approach' rhetoric against a whole range of issues only for absolutely nothing to come of any of it.

What I want to see is a list of things she's claimed 'will happen', set against what (if anything) has actually happened as a result.

Whilst that's true, I would rather her NOT follow through with some of the policies she's outlined personally - She's a dangerous creature. The only reason they don't get passed a lot of the time, is because the HOL kick em out and if they kick out a Tory policy, then it must be bad!!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:58 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:26 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:58 am
boltonboris wrote:

Whilst that's true, I would rather her NOT follow through with some of the policies she's outlined personally - She's a dangerous creature. The only reason they don't get passed a lot of the time, is because the HOL kick em out and if they kick out a Tory policy, then it must be bad!!
The HoL would be the first place in my line of sights actually.
It would appear the only person that does not know the PM lied is the PM, Patel is a patsy, Sunak, the devil in disguise and Raab? I ain't stopped laughing yet.
Probably, unbelievably, the only person who could save Johnson now is Vladimir Putin, if he starts a war they wouldn't dethrone the PM under those circumstances.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:11 pm

Is being unaware of the law a legal defence? Say I was unaware I was not allowed to walk out of the shop without paying I thought these things were free. Is that a defence?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:37 pm

Depends on the "crime" or law.

Don't think the above is a great example of what I think you're getting at, as the answer to your question is yes as long as the jury believed you but that's because dishonesty is part of the test for theft.

A better example would be whether you knew theft was a crime. I.e. (albeit contrived) you took things, you knew it was dishonest - it wouldn't be a defence to say well I didn't know dishonestly taking things was against the law. Assuming that's conceptually possible which I think it just about is!

I imagine some of the Covid offences have mens rea tests, some are strict liability.

Tough to see how the PM could argue though, even if it worked legally it's not exactly a *good* look.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:48 pm

Quite like this one! :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:10 pm

A class bit of work. Love it. :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:11 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:37 pm

... the answer to your question is yes as long as the jury believed you but that's because dishonesty is part of the test for theft.
Oh, how the memories come flooding back as to how I once walked out of Tesco Rawtenstall with a copy of the Rossendale Free Press without paying, assuming it to be a free of charge paper. :)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:47 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:11 pm
Prufrock wrote:

... the answer to your question is yes as long as the jury believed you but that's because dishonesty is part of the test for theft.
Oh, how the memories come flooding back as to how I once walked out of Tesco Rawtenstall with a copy of the Rossendale Free Press without paying, assuming it to be a free of charge paper. :)
That one's on them, I think :lol:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:11 pm
Prufrock wrote:

Yeah, we get that with the West Highland Free Press and tourists. Mind, its that thin many mistake it for a pamphlet