January 2022 Transfer Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:47 pm

I don't think there's been much negativity, has there?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:53 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:47 pm
I don't think there's been much negativity, has there?
I'm not seeing much. Bit like our other striker, some folks telling others they're shit before they've kicked a ball.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:10 am

The fact the lad seemingly walked away from his Millwall deal to come here for 18 months is impressive.

He might do well or he might not, but I'm impressed with that side of the deal.

I think he offers us stuff we lack, so hopefully the team benefits from having him. I'm really pleased with this one.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:35 am

Prompted by discussion on the match thread, is there a point we move away from Dempsy to try and get cover for MJ? Obvs, Gills can take what's on the table or he goes for free in summer, but they have zero need to move very fast....

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:55 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:35 am
Prompted by discussion on the match thread, is there a point we move away from Dempsy to try and get cover for MJ? Obvs, Gills can take what's on the table or he goes for free in summer, but they have zero need to move very fast....
Hard to answer that. It kind of assumes that the reaction to us missing Dempsey would be to look for a lad to cover Williams. If Dempsey is actually Ubersarce then that might not be where we look to recruit. I'm also not sure we've gone for cover this window. Seems like everyone so far has been for the first team.

Are we looking Tyrese Owen to cover centre back or Williams' role? I don't know that answer. We might even be looking at him to loan him to League Two.

I'd love to see someone like Jamie Bowden come in, but it's hard to know how Evatt sees things right now.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on what our recruitment strategy is.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:04 pm

To be honest, I'm a bit confused by it right now. :-) They're all welcome additions, but we'll have to see how he fits them all in when people are back fit...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:48 pm

It bothers me a bit and I have reservations that it's s bit knee jerk as a result of one good win and performance.

Think we're going to struggle to keep all the forward players happy in 352, and the midfielders in a 343 (though competition is very welcome) and we're back to where we were in the summer where we have keep players with no real cover at the back.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:19 pm

I’m still somewhat concerned with the defence/MJ cover. Presumably Tutte must be near fitness, and Senior will be kept around to replace Brockbank. Still feels like our weak area to me.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:20 pm

Probably worth adding here that Politic has officially left now.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:21 pm

I am thinking that Gills is fighting to survive and want to keep their captain for as long as possible before the window ends while banking on getting more for Dempsey from us while he helps put more points on the board, especially knowing that Evatt wants him badly. Seems like Evatt sees him as future Captain given his concerns that the dressing room is too "quiet". We are still short in midfield for a push up the table. Midfield options from the bench is still worrysome if there is an injury. Will Evatt go for someone else instead? My bet would be no unless a real midfield deal becomes available from the Championship near the end of the window.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:23 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:19 pm
I’m still somewhat concerned with the defence/MJ cover. Presumably Tutte must be near fitness, and Senior will be kept around to replace Brockbank. Still feels like our weak area to me.
Tutte is recovering from another hamstring issue, but his calf has just broken down.

Central defence was, if we got all our know targets, the area with the least depth. It hasn't got any better with Brocky leaving, though it was interesting to hear Evatt talk about him as being the behind right backs in pecking order and nothing about centre back cover.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:28 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:48 pm
It bothers me a bit and I have reservations that it's s bit knee jerk as a result of one good win and performance.

Think we're going to struggle to keep all the forward players happy in 352, and the midfielders in a 343 (though competition is very welcome) and we're back to where we were in the summer where we have keep players with no real cover at the back.
Nobody we’ve signed would signal to me we are fixed on a formation. The Icelandic lad sounds more able to play the lone striking role in 433 (or 4231 as I think we should play) than anyone else we’ve got.

Morley probably fits into midfield too.

My worry is regardless of system and whatever we are light at the back, right across it in reality. And light in midfield. We need options in midfield, someone who can play alongside MJ and a Sarce replacement. Purely because right now after the 3 who played on Saturday we don’t imo have anything else fit and up to the level.

The non league lad would in terms of type be useful. MJ and Santos cover. Whether he’s good enough I have no idea. But we need some utility players. Gethin Jones could play right side centre half in a three or RWB. That’s the sort we need.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:28 pm
Nobody we’ve signed would signal to me we are fixed on a formation.
Evatt has said himself we are not. "We now have that flexibility", was I think the quote.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:35 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:23 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:19 pm
Central defence was, if we got all our know targets, the area with the least depth. It hasn't got any better with Brocky leaving, though it was interesting to hear Evatt talk about him as being the behind right backs in pecking order and nothing about centre back cover.
One side-effect of the "new" formation is that it strongly shifts the balance of cover in the squad.

Up front we (now) have Dapo, Bod, Charles, Baka, Xav (+Kacha).
At centre-back we (now) have Santos, Johnston, Aimson, Baptiste, Jones (ish) (+Senior?).

Playing with a back four, we have three real forwards and two centre-backs. With a back three, that flips to two forwards and three centre-backs.

True, we could talk about playing a '10', or switching to Pru's favoured 3-4-3. It's also worth considering that the best back threes don't always have three pure centre-backs (England's at Euro 96, for example, sometimes used Pearce and G-Nev). But even with Jones's welcome promise as an auxiliary centre-back, it still puts more strain on that part of the squad. And Brocky's gone...

I'm happy for us to take the Haringey lad on trial but I would expect us to get a slightly more ready player in, at least on loan.

(Oh and of course - we've no direct cover for MJ.)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:40 pm

Ah fair enough. I'd read his quotes as pointing towards that being the way forward now.

In that case I agree with BWFCi. One more midfielder, and then quality at the back (ideally to replace what we've got, but at the very least to improve on the current back ups who are singularly not up to it).

Sounds like it might be one and done though.

Ps my preference remains 433 (however you calibrate the midfield 3) but I think 343 broadly suits us more than 352, and I think it's easier to switch between 433 and 343 (a lot of the time on the ball they're indistinguishable).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:45 pm

On your upfront list DSB, where are you seeing Delf, Darcy, Issy? I mean sure there's an argument that Delf is probably on his way, Darcy might not be quite ready, but they're still numbers we have on the list...and if Baps gets a mention at CB, then Delf should probably by the same token get a mention somewhere...

Not a poke, genuine question :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:49 pm

I suppose the argument from a squad-building point of view would be that we have Santos, Jones, Johnston, Baps and Aimson who can play the system in a back three and in an emergency Senior and Williams (MJ started out as a centre back). Then if we got an awful run of injuries we'd switch to a back four and it'd have to be ridiculous for us not to have enough to do that.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:51 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:40 pm
Ah fair enough. I'd read his quotes as pointing towards that being the way forward now.

In that case I agree with BWFCi. One more midfielder, and then quality at the back (ideally to replace what we've got, but at the very least to improve on the current back ups who are singularly not up to it).

Sounds like it might be one and done though.

Ps my preference remains 433 (however you calibrate the midfield 3) but I think 343 broadly suits us more than 352, and I think it's easier to switch between 433 and 343 (a lot of the time on the ball they're indistinguishable).
Well he did say lots to indicate Saturday's system might now be our favoured approach..."that was the system I implemented when I started here", "we're going to put lots of work in on it". "think we've got the players to play that way"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:54 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:51 pm
Well he did say lots to indicate Saturday's system might now be our favoured approach..."that was the system I implemented when I started here", "we're going to put lots of work in on it". "think we've got the players to play that way"
Yes. Seems extremely unlike he will change it until he's properly drilled it. It's just that once we have it down there's the other one to fall back on, I think.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:12 pm

If Tuttes injured again we should cut our losses I think. Some cover in that area required!