January 2022 Transfer Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:12 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:49 pm
I suppose the argument from a squad-building point of view would be that we have Santos, Jones, Johnston, Baps and Aimson who can play the system in a back three and in an emergency Senior and Williams (MJ started out as a centre back). Then if we got an awful run of injuries we'd switch to a back four and it'd have to be ridiculous for us not to have enough to do that.
It's not just centre back though.

Of the back 5 we've got 6 who could play where I wouldn't be having kittens, plus Gordon, Baps and maaaybe Senior. Isgrove eventually but I don't think we'll see much of him again this season (and I'm far from convinced on any event).

Two injuries back there and we're onto MJ filling in (and where? He'd get murdered down the sides but tough to see Santos not playing centrally). Two injuries at the back and the 5 doesn't work for me.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:45 pm
On your upfront list DSB, where are you seeing Delf, Darcy, Issy? I mean sure there's an argument that Delf is probably on his way, Darcy might not be quite ready, but they're still numbers we have on the list...and if Baps gets a mention at CB, then Delf should probably by the same token get a mention somewhere...

Not a poke, genuine question :-)
Entirely fair question, mate. I genuinely forgot Delf as an option. TBH I was thinking of that post this morning while I was in a dentist's chair - a scrapey drilly dentist's chair, not a Gazza piss-up dentist's chair; maybe my brain couldn't cope with both that and Delf without shutting down. :|

Izzy isn't fit and doesn't fit the proposition I was setting up: he's front-three if we're playing a back four, but RWB in a back three. But yes, another option. And if we include both Izzy and Delf, then we're even more overloaded with front players (compared to backs) than I said.

Darcy, I strongly imagine, will go on loan to D4/5. Probably for the best: do a Politic, except come back.

One other thing I should clarify, re-reading my original post: contrary to folk memory, England didn't always play a back three at Euro 96; in fact we more often played a back four. (I've written about this extensively; references and links available on request.) But that flexibility was very useful, and I hope Wanderers can get to a level where we can change between or within games, according to need.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:31 pm

Yeah, that was the point, on body count, it starts to look somewhat lop sided.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:33 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:31 pm
Yeah, that was the point, on body count, it starts to look somewhat lop sided.
Sure. First half of the season we looked light up top - Doyler was misfiring (and Covid-affected), Baka was injured, Kacha was either catching up or injured, etc. We're certainly not light now on genuine options up there, especially if we're only picking two of 'em. At the back... as Pru notes, oofsh.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:22 pm

Thought I'd throw a few alternative names out there in case the Dempsey signing doesn't happen. All these guys have contracts expiring this summer so could be available for a reduced fee.

Callum Camps - Fleetwood
The 26 year old can play No.8 or No.10. Very experienced at this level having played 256 games for Rochdale and Fleetwood in L1. No great need though for Fleetwood to sell as they’ve just sold young CB James Hill to Bournemouth for £1m. 2 goals and 2 assist in the league this season.

Tom Lowery - Crewe
Diminutive central midfielder who’s come up through the Crewe academy. 3 league goals and 2 assists this season. Involved in a contract dispute earlier this season which kept him out the side, now back in it and playing well. A maybe slightly more defensive no.8 but definitely has the technical quality to play further up the pitch as well, as you’d expect from a Crewe academy graduate. Wins a fair amount of defensive duels for a small lad. Probably the best ‘prospect’ on this list having only just turned 24.

Jack Payne - Swindon
One of the few bright sparks in a season that culminated in relegation for Town last year with the 27 year old bagging 4 goals and 6 assists. Has 4 non-penalty goals and 1 assist so far this season. Reportedly has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave on a free in this window (https://the72.co.uk/257421/swindon-town ... d-mk-dons/) Predominantly plays as a no.10 but sometimes played as an 8 I think last season. Has 183 L1 appearances under his belt.

George Maris - Mansfield
Wears number 10 for the Stags but plays a bit deeper than his shirt number suggests. Has 3 goals and 3 assists this season. I haven’t seen a lot of him, but his numbers looked good for this season. Played the majority of his career at L2 level, with just 3 L1 appearances whilst a teenager at Barnsley the highest up the pyramid he’s been.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:31 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:22 pm
Tom Lowery - CreweDiminutive central midfielder
Great stuff Brommers, have you got any, where the lead in is something like "Armoured Personnel Carrier, lightning fast across the battlefield and can resist 10 mega tonnes."

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:43 pm

Cheers, Brommers. Plus yer Cov boi Shipley?

Also - got any 6/8s rather than 8/10s?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:50 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Jack Payne - Swindon
One of the few bright sparks in a season that culminated in relegation for Town last year with the 27 year old bagging 4 goals and 6 assists. Has 4 non-penalty goals and 1 assist so far this season. Reportedly has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave on a free in this window (https://the72.co.uk/257421/swindon-town ... d-mk-dons/) Predominantly plays as a no.10 but sometimes played as an 8 I think last season. Has 183 L1 appearances under his belt.
Jack is the pick of the bunch, I think.

I'd bring up Oli Cooper, who is on loan at Newport from Swansea. Swans have a recall option on him and have discussed sending him into League One, but obviously haven't moved on it. Would be hard on Newport, but he'd be my pick. Would mean we could loan him in and still get Dempsey in the summer.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:00 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:50 pm
Oli Cooper, who is on loan at Newport from Swansea. Swans have a recall option on him and have discussed sending him into League One, but obviously haven't moved on it. Would be hard on Newport, but he'd be my pick. Would mean we could loan him in and still get Dempsey in the summer.
Yes - I noticed this lad while trawling around in my usual style. Seemed to be topping plenty D4 stat lists.

Nov 22nd, I wrote:
Oli Cooper - Newport's Swansea loanee is averaging 3.9 tackles per 90 as well as 5 assists from 12 games (perhaps thanks to an impressive 75% passing accuracy). Probably more of an 8 or a 10 than a 6. The 21-year-old is on a season-long loan but Swans have an option to recall in January and we could, as per Kioso, suggest they try him a division higher.
Decent tackling as well as the other way. Interesting to hear Swans might already have considered what I shall call the Kioso Gear Change.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:03 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:00 pm
Decent tackling as well as the other way. Interesting to hear Swans might already have considered what I shall call the Kioso Gear Change.
Same thing Spurs are hoping to do with Jamie Bowden, who would also be a very tidy acquisition.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:27 pm

From his pre-match presser, he says hoping to bring one more in, which I assume is Dempsey....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:29 pm
Bijou Bob wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:56 pm
Sweet Jesus, we’re a League one side who have managed to pull in an international striker under 30 and not some no mark who once played three matches for Burkina Faso under 23’s. This one is a real, live, current international. I’m not really sure what some of you want or expect?! If he’s sh1te, he’s sellable or releasable. Signing any striker is a gamble, but as gambles go, this one seems to be half decent with very little risk.
Got to say I was thinking this. I know nowt about him nor any of our other signings beyond what you can glean online.

But football fans and Bolton fans right now are an odd bunch.

Sign a 26 year old striker who hadn’t played all season from Accrington and has had one good league season in his life for what for us represents a sizeable fee…yay get the bunting out.

Sign a kid from Rochdale a few places off the bottom of the league pyramid again for a fee with pretty mixed reviews from, not far off non league Rochdale fans…yay superb

Sign someone from the championship on a free who has 60 odd international caps and played in a World Cup. Boooo. Boooo.

No idea what’s going on but seems the complete reverse of a decade or two ago when no mark signings were dismissed immediately and a name no matter how ludicrous was lauded. Weird.
Been thinking about this description (which is a bit binary and not very nuanced :D ). Not on a wind-up, I just think there are reasons for each reaction.

Dion Charles - reasons that folk displayed optimism: one, that we've signed a striker at all; two, that we've spent money, which suggests the hardest times are over; three, that his last season at this level was very productive. However, there were more than a few who shifted a little uncomfortably in their chairs when it was revealed we'd paid £300k+. I saw no street parties.

Marlon Fossey - not mentioned above, and a relatively lukewarm response because (1) loan (2) not proven at senior level. Promising show in his first game (when shifted further forward) and his second (as wingback) helped general positivity toward him.

Aaron Morley - a standout D4 midfielder whose numbers were also good in this division, especially for a relegated team. A midfielder, which we desperately needed. A youngster with great promise - which fits the fiscal model. A local lad. I can understand why people cheered the signing.

James Trafford - no-risk loanee in a position where we needed cover/competition (and one that we didn't know whether Evatt was going to strengthen). Wider than that, I think we all know that borrowing youngsters off Man City might be really quite a handy relationship. Still, I didn't see a conga-line down Halliwell Road; some nods and smiles, although many were quick to point out he'd been drummed out of Accy.

Jon Dadi Bodvarsson - I don't want to be the spokesman for negativity, not least as I'm glad we got a player Evatt clearly wanted. I merely think that some people worry about finance, which is entirely understandable, and about signing older players, which is also not to be dismissed out of hand (although as I've said I think he'll be fine - contracted until he turns 31, we'll see then). Some might also point to a poor goalscoring record: anyone dismissing Dion Charles as a one-season wonder might reasonably asked when Bod's wonder season was. (Similarly, any questions raised over Dion's lack of gametime this season can equally be addressed re Dadi.) As a further point, maybe some Wanderers who were glad to see us spend on one striker might now be slightly worried we're apparently stretching ourselves wage-wise to agree terms with another one, when the defence remains unstrengthened (bar, somewhat obliquely, Fossey). But nobody booed.

Not saying I agree with all of those ideas. But I can imagine them as viewpoints that people might hold. Just 'cos I don't agree with them doesn't make them "odd" or "weird". There's times I don't agree with you, but I don't find you weird. Honest. :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:37 pm

Millwall boss Gary Rowett on Bod:
He’s had a few difficult periods where he’s had chances and maybe not taken them. But he’s always worked incredibly hard whenever picked... He’ll do really well somewhere. He’s a really good guy and trained well all the way along. I certainly wish him all the best...
Jon’s not a natural goalscoring striker but he is a striker who can play anywhere across the front three. He’s very flexible and takes on information really well. He’s got a little bit of everything – he can run, he can head a ball, hold it up and be a real handful...
If Jon scores early on at Bolton then I think he’ll go on and score a few.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:30 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:50 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Jack Payne - Swindon
Jack is the pick of the bunch, I think.

I'd bring up Oli Cooper, who is on loan at Newport from Swansea. Swans have a recall option on him and have discussed sending him into League One, but obviously haven't moved on it. Would be hard on Newport, but he'd be my pick. Would mean we could loan him in and still get Dempsey in the summer.
Would love Oli Cooper to come here but I think Russell Martin has said he’s happy with Cooper staying at Newport for the rest of the season. Now, obviously what managers say and what managers do are sometimes completely different things but I can’t see Cooper being recalled as he’s getting regular game time and developing well.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him featuring for Swansea in the Championship next season but if they instead decide to send him on loan to L1 this summer, I hope we’re first in the enquiry line.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:31 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Tom Lowery - CreweDiminutive central midfielder
Great stuff Brommers, have you got any, where the lead in is something like "Armoured Personnel Carrier, lightning fast across the battlefield and can resist 10 mega tonnes."
Ones that can pass as well? Unfortunately I’m struggling there :(

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:08 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:30 pm
Would love Oli Cooper to come here but I think Russell Martin has said he’s happy with Cooper staying at Newport for the rest of the season. Now, obviously what managers say and what managers do are sometimes completely different things but I can’t see Cooper being recalled as he’s getting regular game time and developing well.
https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/ ... rt-county/

11 Jan: “If you are calling players back you have to make sure they are going to be a big part of what you are doing. Midfield is a strong area for us, so for us to call Ollie back, we would have to be sure that he could come in and really impact that position for us. Long-term I think he will do that, he’s a fantastic young player who has really benefitted from his time at Newport.

“We’ve had someone at most of his games and we’ve watched his clips on a Monday. I’ve spoken to him a few times and he is really enjoying himself and learning lots of new skills. It is no surprise he has done so well and he is one of the best midfielders in League Two, no doubt about that.

“For us, he is enjoying it and really benefitting from it and we are more than happy for him to keep developing there and getting another 20-odd games behind him. Then he can come back here in a very strong position because he is someone we definitely see as part of our plans moving forward. He is going to come back a different player from the one we had in pre-season. I’ve seen him grow a lot already. Hopefully, he can continue that and come back to us in a really good place.”

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:14 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:08 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:30 pm
https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/ ... rt-county/

11 Jan: “If you are calling players back you have to make sure they are going to be a big part of what you are doing. Midfield is a strong area for us, so for us to call Ollie back, we would have to be sure that he could come in and really impact that position for us. Long-term I think he will do that, he’s a fantastic young player who has really benefitted from his time at Newport.

“We’ve had someone at most of his games and we’ve watched his clips on a Monday. I’ve spoken to him a few times and he is really enjoying himself and learning lots of new skills. It is no surprise he has done so well and he is one of the best midfielders in League Two, no doubt about that.

“For us, he is enjoying it and really benefitting from it and we are more than happy for him to keep developing there and getting another 20-odd games behind him. Then he can come back here in a very strong position because he is someone we definitely see as part of our plans moving forward. He is going to come back a different player from the one we had in pre-season. I’ve seen him grow a lot already. Hopefully, he can continue that and come back to us in a really good place.”
That’s the one, cheers lad

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:56 am

The dick move here from Gillingham would be to wait until after their last game of the month on the 29th before rejecting the bid we made and giving a possible relegation rival no time to sort a replacement.

Hopefully we get it over the line.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:19 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:56 am
The dick move here from Gillingham would be to wait until after their last game of the month on the 29th before rejecting the bid we made and giving a possible relegation rival no time to sort a replacement.

Hopefully we get it over the line.

If that was to happen I think we'd have to blame ourselves. The onus is on us to have a contingency plan in place.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:21 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:19 am
If that was to happen I think we'd have to blame ourselves. The onus is on us to have a contingency plan in place.
That's always the case, but it's not like you can say to a decent player "Just sit there whilst we try and sign someone better." Lads who are known to be available (and who have quality to them) tend to have more than just you after them.

I'm certain they'll have irons in the fire, but we are clearly focused on one man for now.