The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:24 pm

Saw on Twitter (and assume it’s real and not made up but haven’t checked so apologies if it’s an urban myth) someone find the case of a female pensioner who went to deliver a birthday card to someone’s house and inadvertently ended up in a street party or some such going on near said address and ended up with a £250 fine. Think she was just trying to walk through the street when the police turned up.

Now - when you consider that was going on and then think what was going on in number 10…it’s crazy.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:42 pm

Seems Nelson saw more than Boris appears to.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:09 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:42 pm
Why would we expect that a bloke who can't see a party, in the open, in his own fcuking garden when he was in attendance, be able to see something covert like "blackmail" between two parties when he wasn't present?

I mean on a separate note, why would anyone think that Whips job was anything other than using any means at their disposal to try and get someone to change their mind? It's why House of Cards (UK version) was so funny....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:43 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:09 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:42 pm
Why would we expect that a bloke who can't see a party, in the open, in his own fcuking garden when he was in attendance, be able to see something covert like "blackmail" between two parties when he wasn't present?

I mean on a separate note, why would anyone think that Whips job was anything other than using any means at their disposal to try and get someone to change their mind? It's why House of Cards (UK version) was so funny....
I think the specific issue here is not the bullying. It’s the allegation that a threat to stop a school being built in their constituency goes way beyond historical precedent.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:43 pm
It’s the allegation that a threat to stop a school being built in their constituency goes way beyond historical precedent.
Mindful of the fact you've used "allegedly", but I'm not sure anyone keeps any sort of records of what whips get up to "off the record"...

I would be very surprised if this went "way beyond historical precedent"....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:57 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:43 pm
It’s the allegation that a threat to stop a school being built in their constituency goes way beyond historical precedent.
Mindful of the fact you've used "allegedly", but I'm not sure anyone keeps any sort of records of what whips get up to "off the record"...

I would be very surprised if this went "way beyond historical precedent"....
People seem to be suggesting it has gone above and beyond normality. Which is not unexpected with this government and their general behaviour.

And I suppose the broader thing is the allegations if true would be unlawful.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:00 pm

I have to admit I thought this kind of thing was part and parcel of whipping rather than representative of a line being crossed.

I don't like it at all, and the pressure currently being placed on "rebel" MPs seems particularly aggressive, but I'm not sure it's anything new.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:36 pm

I'd be interested to get my friend Hoboh's view on our arms shipments to Ukraine...I'm fairly sure one of his objections to the EU was they were "poking Russia"....Ukrainians apparently playing God save the Queen because we've flogged em 2,000 anti-tank arms. And dispatched 30 troops (who I assume will man the border with "Stop in the name of the Queen" signs...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:31 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:36 pm
I'd be interested to get my friend Hoboh's view on our arms shipments to Ukraine...I'm fairly sure one of his objections to the EU was they were "poking Russia"....Ukrainians apparently playing God save the Queen because we've flogged em 2,000 anti-tank arms. And dispatched 30 troops (who I assume will man the border with "Stop in the name of the Queen" signs...
Fuming mate, fuming.

This is not our problem in reality and is the result of the EU, mainly Germany alongside that bloody American woman stirring things up which prompted the Crimea invasion. Some are at it again, this time not the Germans Nato's weakest link but daft arsed expansionists who see the Ukraine as an opportunity.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:33 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:31 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:36 pm
Fuming mate, fuming.

This is not our problem in reality and is the result of the EU, mainly Germany alongside that bloody American woman stirring things up which prompted the Crimea invasion. Some are at it again, this time not the Germans Nato's weakest link but daft arsed expansionists who see the Ukraine as an opportunity.

I assume you're referring to Putin's Russia?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:34 pm

Well I'd say it was part if our problem now. No point blaming this move on EU mate....maybe we'll ship some to Hong Kong next.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:38 am

At last. Something believable from a Governement minister. Liz Truss "I wasn't invited to any parties"...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:12 am

He can't have long left now, can he? Dick's said that there's enough evidence of No.10 shenanigans for The Met to launch an inquiry. When's Gray's report due out?
Starmer wasted all six of his questions at last week's PMQs - and him a lawyer.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:25 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:38 am
At last. Something believable from a Governement minister. Liz Truss "I wasn't invited to any parties"...
Of course she wasn't invited. Can you imagine all the awkward questions about where the cheese and sausage rolls came from?!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:32 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:12 am
He can't have long left now, can he? Dick's said that there's enough evidence of No.10 shenanigans for The Met to launch an inquiry. When's Gray's report due out?
Starmer wasted all six of his questions at last week's PMQs - and him a lawyer.
This worries me. The police investigation will be an absolute sham and when the lying, crooked Met inevitably say "nothing to see here, the honourable man did nothing wrong" that will be the end of it and it can't be spoken of again

We'll see how much he's gotten his own way, by how much a smarmy cvnt he's being at PMQ's in about 87 minutes time
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:47 am

I don't know. The Met's usual instinct when it f*cks up (HA! maybe Johnson and Dick can swap notes on brass-neckery in the face of constant overwhelming incompetence) is to circle the wagons. Self preservation.

Ask Andrew Mitchell whether the instinct of police is to defer to their masters when things go south.

I think he's f*cked, personally. It's a question of when and how bad.
Last edited by Prufrock on Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:04 am

I'm just waiting for a few people unknown outside of number 10 to get a £200 ticket and a disciplinary...Under the bus they go!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:04 pm

There realistically only three mechanisms to remove Johnson.

1) He resigns. Seems unlikely. He’s already gone past the resigning point multiple times and seems to be full blown Trump now. The two are interchangeable.
2) The spineless and self interested Tory party removes him. As has been said elsewhere for all the talk if they had 54MPs with any integrity or decency about them this would have happened weeks ago. It is a party comprising the worst people in existence. And of course their members like Trump republicans are fully signed up supporters of Boris in many cases so there is fear of breaking ranks.
3) Somehow a general election is forced. Which seems highly improbable.

So I think we are at an impasse. Like with Trump we simply don’t have the controls in place for a government willing to break the law, lie and deceive and effectively manipulate a set of checks and balances based on acting in good faith. It wasn’t built to deal with criminals and sociopaths.

And that is where we sit. If this teaches us anything we need to make governments more accountable and certainly not less. And we also need to change the electoral system as first as the current one contributes so heavily to this situation.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:16 pm

There are plenty Tories waiting for the outcome of the report. And more waiting until after they get massacred at the locals. It will be the Tory party who get rid of him, and he'll be gone before the end of the summer I reckon.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:42 pm

They way I see it, is there's new ammunition coming every day. Today we find out there's an e-mail confirming that Johnson personally authorized the evacuation of Pen Farthing and his menagerie - which he's previously denied. Doesn't appear this is all going away very quickly...