Are Gills half full pints, or half empty? Away to Gillingham Sat 5th March. 3-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Are Gills half full pints, or half empty? Away to Gillingham Sat 5th March. 3-0'clock.

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:47 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:26 am
I'm more worried about the lack of a fecking roof!

I'll be there. Hobbling along. A good group of us going.
Ya can't miss 'im. His leg's bound in pollafine :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Are Gills half full pints, or half empty? Away to Gillingham Sat 5th March. 3-0'clock.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:49 pm

You know what sort of side bolton are…Graeme Souness, Wenger, Benitez et al circa 2005.

We really need to stop this. It only aids teams desire to give us a shellacking.

The mentality is obviously seeped into the club and it’s a bad one. We know what Gillingham are. They are another football team who will try and beat us. As will we them. No more needs saying.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:54 pm

Don't disagree with that Bruce.

When we've played Gills previously it looked like our heading caused us a few problems leading to Dempsey's goal. We probably should've done better with the match given MJ missed from a yard out (hopefully sorts that out tomorrow :)).

I suspect there will be considerations around the pitch quality and the upcoming games at home as to whether or not we go with the big lads or go with Dapo / Dempsey.

I'd like to see where Isgrove is up to in terms of fitness. Given Senior has been recalled I suspect he may be a little while away. Similarly giving Amaechi a run out would be nice.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:13 pm

Mar wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:54 pm
I'd like to see where Isgrove is up to in terms of fitness. Given Senior has been recalled I suspect he may be a little while away. Similarly giving Amaechi a run out would be nice.
They won't rush Izzy - no point really, unless we're tantalisingly near the play-offs and he might get us over the line.

Xavier wasn't even on the bench at MK.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:03 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:27 am
TonyDomingos wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:25 pm
Got my ticket. After a woeful season of non-attendance (apart from Charlton away), I'm very much looking forward to spending an afternoon in the company of c.1k fellow supporters. I'd love a win, but can see this being one of those frustrating games where we end up with a draw or one goal defeat. Nevertheless, I fully expect to leave with a hoarse voice.

If anyone is going and planning a wee pre-match snifter, let me know (also available for post-match beer!).
Haven't planned anything, but I'll be there with a few others. Give me a shout if you're at a loose end!
Cheers. I'm travelling solo, so I'll drop you a line when I hit Gillingham.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:16 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:13 pm
Mar wrote:
They won't rush Izzy - no point really, unless we're tantalisingly near the play-offs and he might get us over the line.

Agreed, and I suspect Xavs lack of inclusion is more a result of wanting Dixon on the bench. As for Isgrove I don't disagree with this approach, we've been told he's back training so doesn't seem a million miles away and given Geths lack of involvement this weekend Isgrove would be an ideal candidate, just a shame he's been injured.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:26 pm

Mar wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:16 pm
Mar wrote:

Agreed, and I suspect Xavs lack of inclusion is more a result of wanting Dixon on the bench. As for Isgrove I don't disagree with this approach, we've been told he's back training so doesn't seem a million miles away and given Geths lack of involvement this weekend Isgrove would be an ideal candidate, just a shame he's been injured.
At centre-back?!?!?! :shock: I mean he's fairly versatile....but if he struggled at LWB/LB, he's probably looking more out of place as a CD in a 3....

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:36 pm

This is exactly the kind of game we tend to get turned over in. Hope to see us dealing with a direct team better and shake off the soft touch label we've got. Not sure were there yet, especially without Jones. To challenge next season we need to sort out this weakness. Can't get up just by flat track bullying the weaker teams at home, lovely as it is to watch!
I think the Gills will fancy their chances, let's prove them wrong.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:48 pm

No pay on the day for away supporters. Around 800 tickets sold.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:10 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:26 pm
Mar wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:16 pm
Mar wrote:

At centre-back?!?!?! :shock: I mean he's fairly versatile....but if he struggled at LWB/LB, he's probably looking more out of place as a CD in a 3....
No difference than having Senior back for that role. Isgrove does what Geth does but with less quality defensively. When Geth got injured prior to Isgrove's injury he covered adequately and was able to bomb up and down the line akin to what Gethin and Johnston does.

Don't get me wrong the drop in quality is noticeable as Isgrove isn't a defender but in terms of cover he's well positioned.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:24 am

Other than the difference that one is a defender and the other is a winger (broadly). Izzy did an OK job filling in at RB. When tested he wasn't great. He got brownie points, because folks knew he was covering. Like Gethin's defensive frailty is apparent as a defensive CD (and Johnston's), Izzy's for me would be a much larger gap. This is all fine when we're defending well from front to back, but is glaring when we're not or come up v someone like Burton. Whilst I like Fossey in the three, the little I saw of him in a four didn't fill me with confidence. We need to stop thinking wingers might make good defenders. We might be able to cover some things by dint of them not having to defend but a bit like Liverpool last year who demonstrated really well you can't just dump anyone in the back three....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:29 am

Can't get it out of my head what Aaron Morley said about Gillingham. On a pitch that's hardly Wembley against a side of aggressive spoilers we're really going to need to defend well and not give the first goal away. At the risk of negativity ( me?) I can't help remembering the soft goals we've given away even if we recovered and went on to win. Today is surely going to be hostile to say the least and I hope we don't get a homer ref. I've even entertained thoughts of a back three of Santos, MJ and Baptiste ( screams of no.no.no.)to take the edge off the opposition and save our firepower for later. Nothing really matters except the result, and how we get it, who cares. COME ON YOU WHITES.. .. :oyea: :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:43 am

Aimson has been fine when he’s come in. He’s a good pro. I don’t think it’s a day for Baptiste personally. Hopefully the week break has given Fossey a bit of time to recharge as he’s important today without Jones. We’ve got enough about us to win here so let’s get the job done.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:59 am

Oh aye. It's the back 5 with Aimson for Jones. All day. Aimson is a decent player, and his main weaknesses are on the ball, and mobility wise down the sides. Neither likely to be a huge issue today I wouldn't have thought.

I think we need to stop faffing about with Dapo on the bench. Your best players have to play and he is one. I'd also play Dempsey and Morley. So for me it's a three way fight for one spot between MJ, Sadlier and Bod. I'd pick Sadlier, think he'll pick MJ and will understand why.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:25 am

I’d pick the same team as you, Pru. Don’t expect Evatt to agree with us, and would be surprised if we don’t see MJ and one of Dad Bod or Baka starting.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:46 am

Aye Dad/Baka for Dapo wouldn't shock me either, though I think it would be wrong.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:55 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:59 am
Oh aye. It's the back 5 with Aimson for Jones. All day. Aimson is a decent player, and his main weaknesses are on the ball, and mobility wise down the sides. Neither likely to be a huge issue today I wouldn't have thought.

I think we need to stop faffing about with Dapo on the bench. Your best players have to play and he is one. I'd also play Dempsey and Morley. So for me it's a three way fight for one spot between MJ, Sadlier and Bod. I'd pick Sadlier, think he'll pick MJ and will understand why.
Yup. Defence wise. I suspect some of the rotation might have been down to "schedule" but guess we'll have a better idea this month. Dapo looked a little out of sorts for me, but I'd still start him. I'd also go Dempsey and Morley.

I struggle a bit with that "last spot" selection. MJ for me struggles a bit to keep up with D&M, Bod has been OK, but hasn't really taken a game by the scruff yet. Sads, I think is good, but we're not quite sure where to start him. Like you, I think for this game he'll go MJ, because he'll be worried about us getting bullied in mf.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:05 pm

Kyle Dempsey misses out through illness!!!! Really ?
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:08 pm

Clearly a premeditated agreement for him not to play. Annoying. Bench looks a bit weak all of a sudden…

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:09 pm

Trafford, Fossey, Aimson, Santos, Johnston, John, Williams, Morley, Dapo, Dad Bod, Charles

Dixon, Baka, Ameachi, Sadlier, Gordon, Senior