Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:53 pm
Agreed. He’s the perfect example of higher level experience and quality. Perhaps out of range but you just never know. Exact type we need too if we want to be better than we are in midfield.
Yeah, difficult stuff to call from the outside, though.

We've invested in Dempsey and he's not been able to get on the pitch much. We've invested in Sheehan and he's due back. Does Evatt think getting those two back provides sufficient improvement on its own to drive us on?

We've certainly not seen the best of our midfield yet. Personally I'd like to add a line-breaking ball winner to the mix, but it may no be a priority for Evatt.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:16 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:38 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:53 pm
Agreed. He’s the perfect example of higher level experience and quality. Perhaps out of range but you just never know. Exact type we need too if we want to be better than we are in midfield.
Yeah, difficult stuff to call from the outside, though.

We've invested in Dempsey and he's not been able to get on the pitch much. We've invested in Sheehan and he's due back. Does Evatt think getting those two back provides sufficient improvement on its own to drive us on?

We've certainly not seen the best of our midfield yet. Personally I'd like to add a line-breaking ball winner to the mix, but it may no be a priority for Evatt.
I don’t think we will go up unless we add to that area. We know Dempsey is injury prone. Sheehan is an unknown as to how he will come back. Plus neither will add the qualities we need to add into the side.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:16 pm
I don’t think we will go up unless we add to that area. We know Dempsey is injury prone. Sheehan is an unknown as to how he will come back. Plus neither will add the qualities we need to add into the side.
Well, Dominic Ball is on my list for a reason.

Iredale would be good.

I'd like us to look at Harry McKirdy too, who was at Carlisle with Iredale and Geth and is now ripping it up for Swindon.

We'll see what we end up doing. Markham knows his job.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:43 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:36 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:16 pm
Well, Dominic Ball is on my list for a reason.

Iredale would be good.

I'd like us to look at Harry McKirdy too, who was at Carlisle with Iredale and Geth and is now ripping it up for Swindon.

We'll see what we end up doing. Markham knows his job.
:shock: A good footballer but surely we’d not sign him given all the rhetoric about getting the ‘right’ characters in.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:47 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:43 pm
:shock: A good footballer but surely we’d not sign him given all the rhetoric about getting the ‘right’ characters in.
I'm not sure he's the wrong sort for Evatt, to be honest. Good mates with Geth, knows Evatt well from the Cumbrian scene, etc.

He's gobby and a bit of a WUM, but he also has a rep of being good in the dressing room and a born winner.

Is it the stuff about quiet fans etc that would bother you, or have I missed something worse recently?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:00 pm

Dommy Ball was available to a good home in a January, but nothing came of it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/footballle ... dline/amp/

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:24 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:00 pm
Dommy Ball was available to a good home in a January, but nothing came of it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/footballle ... dline/amp/
He was on good money at QPR and they didn't want to subsidise a move. He won't get anywhere near that for his next move, so it needs to be about football. Unfortunately for my ambitions, I think he'll have plenty of Championship offers - probably including Wigan.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:14 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:47 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:43 pm
I'm not sure he's the wrong sort for Evatt, to be honest. Good mates with Geth, knows Evatt well from the Cumbrian scene, etc.

He's gobby and a bit of a WUM, but he also has a rep of being good in the dressing room and a born winner.

Is it the stuff about quiet fans etc that would bother you, or have I missed something worse recently?
Just a gobby t**t isn’t he. I’m sure that must grate on some of his teammates but who knows 🤷🏼‍♂️

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:37 am

brommers95 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:14 am
Just a gobby t**t isn’t he.
I think that's a fair assessment.

He's absolutely the sort to be detested by opposition fans. Mouthy, petulant, etc....not averse to a dive and other gamesmanship.

I can fully understand why people wouldn't want him here.

For me, he's entertaining and I want more individual brilliance in the squad next season. Our team game is right up there now. I think we could use a maverick who still offers the work rate Evatt demands.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:24 am

I’m sure there’s plenty oppo fans who hate Dapo, but he seems fine off-field.

But that doesn’t apply to everyone.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:28 pm

Revisiting the Dapo asking price debate. Anything over £2m would be very good business in my opinion.

Picked out some recent examples of wingers/attackers who went from L1* to the Championship.

*Ward had just been relegated from the Championship with Rotherham before joining Cardiff and Jackson had just been promoted from L2 with Accrington.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:28 pm

The question then becomes whether the club feel they can reliably replace his contribution and improve the squad for the money on offer.

£2m is a lot of money, but it's not revolutionary for a club of our size. I think we'd probably take it and definitely take closer to £3m, but we'd need to be very confident we could instantly replace what he offers the team.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:00 pm

Previous deals aren't necessarily that instructive beyond a v rough guide. He's still got two years on his contract so we don't need to sell.

Absolutely we'll be looking to sell players at their peak, but you have to balance that against what he's worth to us next year.

If someone offered 4, 5 mill, sure he'll go. Anything less and I'd lean towards him staying. Though don't know if we've made him any promises behind the scenes

Santos I think will go if he doesn't sign a new contract pretty soon.

My mate is a Cardiff fan and reckons they have no money, for what that's worth.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:12 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:28 pm
The question then becomes whether the club feel they can reliably replace his contribution and improve the squad for the money on offer.

£2m is a lot of money, but it's not revolutionary for a club of our size. I think we'd probably take it and definitely take closer to £3m, but we'd need to be very confident we could instantly replace what he offers the team.
You can’t for £2M. It’s more a question of the business. How much does Sharon and the board need the money and what’s the risk of not selling.

But I don’t think £2M would be a good valuation for Dapo. I think £3M in the current market. And that would leave some room for the club to absorb some into the business which I suspect is the aim. You can’t expect the model is to keep running at a loss.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:55 pm

Some of those deals we're 5/6 years ago as well, so not sure how instructive they are. It will come down to how much a club wants him. I mean, we got 6m for Machine...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:12 pm
You can’t for £2M. It’s more a question of the business. How much does Sharon and the board need the money and what’s the risk of not selling.

But I don’t think £2M would be a good valuation for Dapo. I think £3M in the current market. And that would leave some room for the club to absorb some into the business which I suspect is the aim. You can’t expect the model is to keep running at a loss.
The money we get for him has to be enough to allow Evatt to replace him, improve the squad a bit and also reinvest in the business. Any less than that and we might as well sell him next summer, or hope he signs on in the Championship.

How much that is is up to the club.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:51 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:38 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:12 pm

The money we get for him has to be enough to allow Evatt to replace him, improve the squad a bit and also reinvest in the business. Any less than that and we might as well sell him next summer, or hope he signs on in the Championship.

How much that is is up to the club.
Well yes. But I don’t think you can necessarily run a successful business on a gamble of deferring your income and the gamble being contingent on sporting success. I mean sure you can and it can work out. But what if we didn’t go up and Dapo is then worth a lot less?

It’s a huge call this summer. But from a football point of view we keep him or only sell for very silly money. From a business point of view though the club is running at a loss and the only way to really run us down here is to make profit on transfers pretty much every season.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:59 pm

£6.1m at least.

I can't live in a world where Dapo goes for less money than Madine.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:51 pm
Well yes. But I don’t think you can necessarily run a successful business on a gamble of deferring your income and the gamble being contingent on sporting success. I mean sure you can and it can work out. But what if we didn’t go up and Dapo is then worth a lot less?

It’s a huge call this summer. But from a football point of view we keep him or only sell for very silly money. From a business point of view though the club is running at a loss and the only way to really run us down here is to make profit on transfers pretty much every season.
Depends whether you think Evatt is talking to try and push the price up or being honest.

He's said we are financially stable without selling players yet, so it may be that it's a genuine football call on this sale.

They don't seem to need to bring money in to cover losses at the minute, so in that sense there's no rush.

I agree with selling any player at the top of their value, but I don't think it's a case of selling to whoever bids the most - the position Posh have been in fairly regularly. We can turn down bids that don't meet our valuation and not sell if it comes to that.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:51 pm

Aye we're not spending over a million in Jan if we desperately need to sell in summer. Will be because we want to for the value.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.