Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 16, 2022 11:16 pm

Fossey due to sign permanently next week, apparently.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue May 17, 2022 9:07 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 11:16 pm

You are Sharon Brittan and I claim my £5. :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue May 17, 2022 9:24 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 11:16 pm
If the club are convinced on the injury front then I’ve decided that’s good enough for me. Hopefully we’ve managed to negotiate the fee down as well, and Marlon will end up being a tremendous bargain.

The Dapo speculation got me thinking about who else in our current squad might command a transfer fee. I settled on the below:

Santos
Williams
Dad Bod (minimal)
Jones
John
Dempsey
Sadlier
Iredale
Morley
Charles

Maybe I’ve been a little ambitious with some of those selections, but still, a much improved situation compared to recent seasons.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 17, 2022 11:40 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 9:24 am
If the club are convinced on the injury front then I’ve decided that’s good enough for me.
Methink's it'll probably have to be! :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 17, 2022 11:49 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 9:07 am
You are Sharon Brittan and I claim my £5. :D
Lobby Ludd references. I am very much here for this.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 17, 2022 10:26 pm

Latest lad to be looking for a contract, Freddie Ladapo.

Completely ill-suited to Rotherham's style, but enough ability to adapt and do the job.

Championship ability and non-league attitude.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 18, 2022 12:36 am

Other stuff - Bolton have been keeping tabs on three Wimbledon players over the past 18 months. Ayoub Assal, Athony Hartigan and Jack Rudoni.

Now that Wimbledon have a new manager things are starting to move there. That "EFL Hub" account has just linked us and Coventry with Assal. The account itself is bunk, but it reflects actual mutterings around the place.

Rudoni may be destined for higher up the pyramid, but it'll be worth keeping an eye on those three in case we've settled on them as targets.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed May 18, 2022 10:30 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 12:36 am
Other stuff - Bolton have been keeping tabs on three Wimbledon players over the past 18 months. Ayoub Assal, Athony Hartigan and Jack Rudoni.

Now that Wimbledon have a new manager things are starting to move there. That "EFL Hub" account has just linked us and Coventry with Assal. The account itself is bunk, but it reflects actual mutterings around the place.

Rudoni may be destined for higher up the pyramid, but it'll be worth keeping an eye on those three in case we've settled on them as targets.
All three of those players seem to have been linked with Championship clubs in recent weeks. I don't know much about the merits of any of them, but they all appear to be highly rated and fall within an age range that we need to recruit in. Whether we actually have space for more first team midfielders, I don't know.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 18, 2022 11:45 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 6:06 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 4:34 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 12:34 pm
Hiram Boateng leaves MK Dons. He'd do.
As he's a midfielder, which is not a position we're short in, I assume you think he's a gamechanger?
Tactically, yes. He's a player who offers a physicality and athleticism we lack, can break lines and pick a pass.

He'd not cost the earth, had a superb football education at Palace, etc. The issue, as with so many players, is injuries.

I think there are better options on the market, but in terms of bang for your buck he's up there.
Also leaving MK: Aden Baldwin, Jay Bird, John Freeman, Brandon Mason, Connor Wickham. They've offered contract extensions to David Kasumu and Josh McEachran.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 18, 2022 12:07 pm

We're all just guessing in terms of understanding precisely what Evatt wants for his squad.

Beyond Traf and Fossey back it's all supposition.

Iles is adamant we want another striker. It seems like common sense that we need another centre half. Aside from that it's an individual thing of looking at what the team struggles to do and trying to figure out how badly Evatt wants/needs it to do those things.

Certainly better than needing everything because you can do nothing, as with previous years.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed May 18, 2022 1:03 pm

I'm not sure if he's been mentioned on this thread before, but would League Two's top scorer, Dom Telford be an option for us?

25 year old Burnley lad who's banged in 25 goals in the league this season for Newport and is out of contract this summer. Looks a bit on the small side, but we've already got a couple of big chaps up top, so might he be a nice fit?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 18, 2022 1:32 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:03 pm
I'm not sure if he's been mentioned on this thread before, but would League Two's top scorer, Dom Telford be an option for us?

25 year old Burnley lad who's banged in 25 goals in the league this season for Newport and is out of contract this summer. Looks a bit on the small side, but we've already got a couple of big chaps up top, so might he be a nice fit?
He hasn't been mentioned, no. So it's nice to hear a new idea...

Interesting story. Not taken by the major academies, joined Blackpool in 2013 (just as Evatt left). Hit the first team for 2014/15 – an awful season in which the SeaSeaSeasiders won just four league games, were relegated from the second tier with six games to go and eventually got 26 points, 13 behind second-bottom.

Despite only scoring once in 14 appearances, Telford showed enough to be signed by top-flight Stoke (god it's good that that phrase seems a historical relic), but he never played a game for them in three seasons. Ryan Lowe took him to fourth-tier Bury for 2018/19, usually bringing him off the bench, and then took him to Plymouth too. He scored twice in 19 games as they were promoted from the bottom tier, then one in 16 before dropping back down to Newport with an 18-month contract signed in January 2021.

His first season at Newport followed most of the other ones - mostly sub, mostly barren (one goal in 15 league games). But this season has been a different story. Before, he'd only scored 14 goals in 121 league appearances – but only 45 were starts. This season, he's played 37, starting 35, and scored 25.

So has he benefited from regular starts? Clearly. Has he found his level? Possibly. Could he move up a division? I have no idea. Could he move up two? You have to say it's a long shot. But weirder things have happened.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 18, 2022 1:53 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:03 pm

Lovely goal scorer this season. Off both feet, all different kinds of finishes. Like you say, he's a midget - but given that we have big lads up front that might not be an issue. Also a big plus that he's local.

Markham runs the recruitment stuff, but Evatt has his say and we know he likes to get in previous season's big hitters. Doyle was that and so was Charles.

Telford has come up in conversations, but your guess is as good as anyone's as to whether he's one we're actively interested in rather than just that everyone keeps tabs on a striker banging in goals.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 18, 2022 2:26 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:53 pm
Markham runs the recruitment stuff, but Evatt has his say and we know he likes to get in previous season's big hitters. Doyle was that and so was Charles.
Closer to Telford's current home, you might also add Sheehan to that. Not *the* biggest name in the division, but a very Evatt player having the season of his career (thus far, hopefully) and available fer nowt.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 18, 2022 2:36 pm

Wed May 18, 2022 2:26 pm
Closer to Telford's current home, you might also add Sheehan to that. Not *the* biggest name in the division, but a very Evatt player having the season of his career (thus far, hopefully) and available fer nowt.
He goes in the "he'd do" basket along with a few others, for me. If the idea is that we need another out-and-out striker (I think that's the case), but we don't necessarily need someone walking in and expecting to start every week (also plausible) then Telford's face might fit.

I don't necessarily think he's a lad who'd take the Championship by storm if we were to go up (which is what I'd like to see from an incoming forward, even if next season would be about their development), but I'd not moan about the signing and it has a very sensible, "bit of a jigsaw" element to it.

I think there are a couple of young lads about with worse records and lower profiles I'd rather see in the building. That doesn't mean he'd not be a good addition, though.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 18, 2022 2:40 pm

Some background on Telford (Athletic, thus £)
https://theathletic.com/3205200/2022/03 ... ng-charts/

"I enjoy working with young managers. They’re similar in the sense that they are hungry, ambitious, they want to succeed and while they are learning you can learn from them. They have fresh ideas on the game and the way they see certain situations or scenarios. I’ve always backed my ability and the way that I play but it was just getting the chance to prove it on the big stage, having someone trust you. I enjoy the pressure of it.”

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 18, 2022 2:50 pm

The other good side of a Telford deal would be that he has people he knows at the club already. Not just on the playing side, but also around the place.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 18, 2022 3:12 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 2:50 pm
The other good side of a Telford deal would be that he has people he knows at the club already. Not just on the playing side, but also around the place.
Yeah - in that Athletic piece he does seem amusingly close to Kevin Ellison, another exiled north-westerner with whom he's bunked up Bert & Ernie style. So clearly connections are important.

He was in the matchday squad 79 times with Will Aimson - he's only shared pegs more often with two players. Sheehan 19 times.

(He's also shared 35 squads with Bruce Rioja's boi Eoghan O'Connell, FWIW. And 14 with Anthony Hartigan, 9 with Tom Barkhuizen, and 7 with Ghost's fancy Tyreeq Bakinson.)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 18, 2022 3:15 pm

Wed May 18, 2022 3:12 pm
Ghost's fancy Tyreeq Bakinson.
I think we can do better now and he looks to be set-up elsewhere. Still a talent, though and hopefully our interest shows we want the type.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 19, 2022 11:42 am

Things hopefully progressing well on the Trafford front?

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... 6koP5iCnIE
May the bridges I burn light your way