Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 25, 2022 5:24 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 4:51 pm
Not sure whether this increases or decreases our chances of getting Trafford back on loan…

I could certainly see a situation where Nick Pope is sold this summer, Burnley look for a new no.1 in the Championship and just maybe they’d look in Trafford’s direction with the obvious City link.

I wouldn’t have thought Burnley would see him as a starting Championship keeper just yet, especially for a team who’d expect to be in the upper echelons, but you can never rule anything out in football.
It will be interesting to see how much they get offered for Nick Pope, and whether they bite. Early word is they want £30m, and I'm not seeing that. So we may come down to how much they *need* to sell him, what with their loan repayments and all...

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed May 25, 2022 6:44 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 5:24 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Not sure whether this increases or decreases our chances of getting Trafford back on loan…

I could certainly see a situation where Nick Pope is sold this summer, Burnley look for a new no.1 in the Championship and just maybe they’d look in Trafford’s direction with the obvious City link.

I wouldn’t have thought Burnley would see him as a starting Championship keeper just yet, especially for a team who’d expect to be in the upper echelons, but you can never rule anything out in football.
It will be interesting to see how much they get offered for Nick Pope, and whether they bite. Early word is they want £30m, and I'm not seeing that. So we may come down to how much they *need* to sell him, what with their loan repayments and all...
£30m?! Hadn't seen that figure mentioned, good luck to em :mrgreen:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 25, 2022 6:51 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:00 pm
Wed May 25, 2022 10:40 am
This got me thinking this morning - a thoroughly theoretical question to while away a moment:

If you could have any of our former players back, at his Wanderers peak (ie you can't have a world-class Shilton etc), who would it be?

I think in terms of where we need to improve, peak Cahill might be just about perfect for this team – strong in both boxes, confident on the ball.

I guess we might get more of an uptick from someone like Anelka ripping this division apart, but it feels like a new Gaz would strengthen us where we need it most (assuming Traf and Foz return).
Okocha by a mile for me.

We need a player like him and football is about entertainment. Peak Okocha in League One would be about the best thing I've ever seen.
See if I’d not counted Speed this would be my answer. Because at his peak for us he was not just one of the best midfield players in the world he was also incredibly exciting.

He’d absolutely be amazing in an Evatt side and would guarantee this coming season would be worth watching.

At his peak for us he’s probably the best we’ve ever had. And his peak was only about 4 months. But still that over a season would be immense.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 26, 2022 4:36 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:44 pm
brommers95 wrote:

I've just read that Burnley's valuation is £40m. Course, he's only worth whatever they can get for him.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 26, 2022 4:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 4:36 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:44 pm
I've just read that Burnley's valuation is £40m. Course, he's only worth whatever they can get for him.
Plenty daft money about in the Prem, and the lad's an England international, but I think even £30m is asking a lot. I guess they're thinking Pickford went for £25m (possibly rising to £30m) five years ago and Ramsdale for a possible £30m last summer – but Pickford and Ramsdale were 23 with their lives ahead of them. Pope's 30, and while it's a truism that keepers play on longer, it's equally provable that they're comparatively undervalued in the market.

Put another way - which club outside the top four/six is going to spend that much on a goalkeeper?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 26, 2022 5:45 pm

None of the bigger boys will go anywhere near him because he's got toblerone boots. English Mignolet. About as good a keeper as you could get if you're not going to try to play through him. West Ham maybe? No-one else is going to pay £30m for a 30 year old keeper.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 26, 2022 6:41 pm

Pity we couldn't get another Eddie. We had one of the best (and shortest( keepers ever in Eddie Hopkinson, now sadly long deceased. .He still holds the club record for appearances (578 matches). He earned 14 caps for the England national football team from 1957 to 1959, and was England's reserve goalkeeper at the 1958 FIFA World Cup. He also won 6 Under-23 caps for England. Great keeper and a top bloke
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Fri May 27, 2022 1:12 pm

Santos signs a new 3yr deal! Result :pissed:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 29, 2022 5:35 pm

Twitter is ablaze with talk of Fossey going to Wigan, which seems to boil down to a kid saying his cousin saw Fossey doing a tour of the DW and someone else noticing that a Wigan player follows Fossey on social media (they were youth team players together).

All the fun of the fair.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 29, 2022 5:57 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 5:35 pm
Twitter is ablaze with talk of Fossey going to Wigan, which seems to boil down to a kid saying his cousin saw Fossey doing a tour of the DW and someone else noticing that a Wigan player follows Fossey on social media (they were youth team players together).

All the fun of the fair.
If he did go there it would be a massive kick in the nuts. Probably the biggest one we’d have had in a fair while.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun May 29, 2022 6:03 pm

If he went to a championship club over us? Narr would be one of them things. Could understand why. We’ll have a plan B!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 29, 2022 6:42 pm

I'm well behind on any Fossey stuff, but I'd be very surprised if he wasn't already sorted out for his move to us. So I imagine it'll shock Evatt as much as the fans if he turns up somewhere else. Wigan would be extra annoying, but that's the game sometimes.

I still fully expect him to be a Bolton player officially pretty soon.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 29, 2022 6:46 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:42 pm
I'm well behind on any Fossey stuff, but I'd be very surprised if he wasn't already sorted out for his move to us. So I imagine it'll shock Evatt as much as the fans if he turns up somewhere else. Wigan would be extra annoying, but that's the game sometimes.

I still fully expect him to be a Bolton player officially pretty soon.
That’s what I meant by kick in the nuts. I very much had him down as done and one of those Evatt referred to as being announced soon. But you never know in football. Seems to be a load of Twitter nonsense though more than anything meaningful.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon May 30, 2022 9:26 am

Fossey going to Wigan would be a right shitter. He’d become public enemy number one with our fans if that happened.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 30, 2022 10:06 am

The_Gun wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:26 am
Fossey going to Wigan would be a right shitter. He’d become public enemy number one with our fans if that happened.
There would also be a lot of hurried explaining to wives.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 30, 2022 11:14 am

Haven't seen it reported, I don't think, but Luton took up the year's extension option in Kioso's contract.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 30, 2022 11:19 am

Mon May 30, 2022 10:06 am
The_Gun wrote:
There would also be a lot of hurried explaining to wives.
Yeah, but the second line would have to change to

"Oh Marlon Fossey, I'd let you s*** my relative"...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 30, 2022 12:12 pm

The_Gun wrote:
He wouldn't look right with a Peaky Blinders haircut anyway.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 30, 2022 12:42 pm

Yay, Brommers has done a piece on (defensive) midfielders

https://bwfcanalysis.wordpress.com/2022 ... rgets-cms/

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon May 30, 2022 12:44 pm

I highlighted some potential CDM names we may be interested in. Almost included Jacob Davenport as well, recently released by Blackburn. Is still only 23, has quality on the ball and played a holding role for Rovers, but has been plagued by injuries over the past few seasons so though better of it.