The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Hoboh » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:06 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:27 am
Hoboh wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:09 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:14 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:24 pm
Ahh I see there will be no power cuts might mean there possibly will be power cuts.
Thankfully I have two generators bought a good while ago for a project that never took off and an open plan kitchen diner so the gas hob can provide the heating if needed.
Politicians don't lie, that's a joke.
Was this for the Hobes nuclear bunker? :-)

I hope they're carbon neutral and I'm looking forwards to your new electric motorcycle. :-)
You will be old and grey first :D
Good news, Hobes, I'm already both. I have designed a windmill powered Ducati though, so I hope you enjoy it mate.
So it looks good, overpriced and high maintenance then?
Oh and it has a few reverse gears :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:37 am

Our internal Parliamentary squabbles might disappear in light of the "Big Picture" if the president of the greatest arse-covering nation in the world is to be believed. He's already shaken the dust off the "Gossips of mass misdirection" files and is being typically American in his sabre-rattling "get the first blow in" by making "What if" speeches. At least with Tony Blair there was a hint of sense and hesitation in the last button pushing episode, with this lot we have now, One has to dread to think what may transpire.

Careful how you reply, people are listening.... :hang:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:23 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:37 am
Our internal Parliamentary squabbles might disappear in light of the "Big Picture" if the president of the greatest arse-covering nation in the world is to be believed. He's already shaken the dust off the "Gossips of mass misdirection" files and is being typically American in his sabre-rattling "get the first blow in" by making "What if" speeches. At least with Tony Blair there was a hint of sense and hesitation in the last button pushing episode, with this lot we have now, One has to dread to think what may transpire.

Careful how you reply, people are listening.... :hang:
I have to say it’s crossed my mind that Truss is so utterly incompetent that she could quite easily trigger a nuclear war by complete accident. In the same way she tanks the markets every time she speaks.

Perhaps someone sensible might suggest to her that she just doesn’t say anything in public again and then we can all breathe a sigh of relief.

Then it’s simply down to Biden knowing which day of the week it is…oh god…

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:36 am

Folks are missing all the upsides. At least COVID and rising inflation and the energy cap would be off the front pages.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:12 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:36 am
Folks are missing all the upsides. At least COVID and rising inflation and the energy cap would be off the front pages.
I’m a bit worried that given the state they are in the Tory party might seriously consider this option as a ‘way out’…….

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:12 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:36 am
I’m a bit worried that given the state they are in the Tory party might seriously consider this option as a ‘way out’…….
I don't see this happening (other than if we needed to respond)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:59 pm

Never really entered my head that anyone would be insane enough to push the buttons. It just couldn't happen to any rational thinking person/nation.....surely? Biden had better make some friends in America's Bible belt. One good thing for certain is that it will never be us that instigated anything major. I wouldn't trust any of our lot to switch Blackpool illuminations on. (Id like to think they'll be cancelled in this energy crisis.) I hope there are some religious politicians about, because God help us with what we have. :pray:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:11 pm

Morag's now away for a week. We're all doomed anyway. I can feel a very expensive bottle of single malt coming on. Chin-chin :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:06 pm

Genuinely confused by something. You’ve spent millions of pounds on a public information campaign to advise and help people to use less energy.

Yet you then decide to can it and not use it and waste the money.

Even if you conclude that blackouts are unlikely what is the harm in the messaging?

If it had health risks then why have we spent so much money developing a PR campaign with such an obvious flaw?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:16 am

There's something a bit "Wagatha" about the non-communication between Sturgeon and Truss, although parallels like "Silence is Golden" and "If you have nothing sensible to say, keep quiet! "seem quite apt since both seem to talk utter rubbish. We wait with bated breath. :wink:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:28 pm

If Putin decides to go tactically nuclear I think he'll target the UK. We're an island nation, physically removed from Europe. Nuclear weapons trained on London/ Liverpool/ Manchester/ Leeds/ Glasgow/ Edinburgh and Belfast would decimate the population and industry.

This 'warning shot' would either serve to galvanise or subdue the rest of the world. Personally, I think the Russians would get away with it. Either way we'd be gone.

Happy Thursday everyone.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:32 pm

How long do we have to respond to this?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:37 pm

If he does it he's doing it in Ukraine. But he won't. I don't think the Yanks are fecking around when they say they wouldn't be having it (you can't let that go even once).

There have been lots of thinly veiled speeches recently saying that they would strike back on any nuclear attack/ indicating that if they wanted to assassinate someone they would be gone. The point quite clearly being so Putin/any military asked to carry this out are... dissuaded.

The advantage to my position is that if I'm wrong, no-one is going to able to say "I told you so".
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:50 pm

If it is the UK then I reckon it'll be up here. Less direct damage to population etc and then wait for the fallout to feck you lot down there.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:25 am

If he did it would be Ukraine and the real worry is the Dr Strangelove types in the US administration, Victoria Nuland and her backers, the real neocons.
To be honest the rhetoric coming out of Washington and Biden really makes me think they are after a war on a huge scale.
Perhaps a good civil war over there is overdue.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:39 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:32 pm
How long do we have to respond to this?
About 7 mins.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:42 am

I see that the markets have responded cautiously favourably to the Chancellor cutting short his US trip.

Can we expect a major U-Turn before they close today?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:26 pm

Kwarteng sacked!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:10 pm

We are the laughing stock of the world. How on earth has it come to this mess?

And having made such a mess and completely lost control there is now no absolutely no justification to not call an immediate general election.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:00 pm

I’m not sure how much more of this parody can continue before Putin decides to end it all and do the Tories a favour.

But hilariously Truss has responded to Kwarteng’s letter where he states he was asked to go so has gone by saying ‘I deeply respect the decision you have taken today. You have put the country first’.

Yet he’s just written to tell us you sacked him.

But above and beyond that Truss’ letter to Kwarteng is signed and addressed as ‘from Kwasi Kwarteng’.

I’m not being funny but these are the people running the country (I mean they aren’t but they are meant to be).

A laughable level of incompetence even Diane Abbott couldn’t stoop to.

https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status ... G4zYnYJ7zg