We shall not be moved. Play-off away to Barnsley,Fri, 19th May, 20-00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: We shall not be moved. Play-off away to Barnsley,Fri, 19th May, 20-00

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 19, 2023 11:06 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:54 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:46 pm
I can't comment on what they've done before, didn't watch them much. As I've said elsewhere, Vic isn't going anywhere soon, so we just need to hope the coaching team work the fairy dust. I'm only using what we've seen since they've been here. They have both been awful generally so far. Maybe for Dan his injury has removed his inner League 1 Messi, but when I have seen him dribble past players, it's usually to run into a dead end.
They've not exactly set the world alight since they arrived, I agree.

I've no real issue with people saying they personally don't rate a player, that's just how the game goes and opinions change over time.

I'm still where I was previous regarding the strikers - we've not brought in that rapid striker we need and I'm hoping we'll find that in the summer. I think Evatt said today that he was hope Nlundulu's pace in behind would be a threat, but when he made those runes the ball ended up 30 yards from him (not hyperbole, it was that bad).

If we want any realistic target to stand a chance we have got to get them the ball with a degree of quality, inside the box or in behind.

If we fix the squad issues AND sign some amazing new striker, cool.
Dan looks like he should be a right handful. I'm not criticising him when there's poor service and balls 30 yards in front of him. I haven't mentioned either of those things nor even goals - they're things you've put in the mix, I agree it's not fair to judge him on that when none of those happen and the service has been missing, so I haven't and I'm not. He's 24. If he was 19, I'd be yeah ok that's probably what I'd expect very rough around the edges. He had his best game for us (for me) against Brizzle R last match of the season, and one decent cameo where he put himself about.

IE will make the call as he sees fit - and he sees a lot more in training than me, but for me I wouldn't be on the phone to Southampton on Monday.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 19, 2023 11:07 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:01 pm
Big test next season for Evatt. Can he adjust the style to turn us into proper contenders or is he a pound shop Pep, whose sides will roll over at the merest press and aggression?
That's the only positive, for me. Barnsley are probably the best "aggression" side in the division and we didn't roll over. We lost, but in previous seasons they'd have taken us to the cleaners.

We lacked the quality we needed to win, but we kept going and they didn't look good. The spoiled the game and more power to them for that, but they didn't at any stage look like battering us by a few.

We're not miles off where we need to be.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri May 19, 2023 11:09 pm

Nlundulu is shite and I’ll be annoyed if we waste money signing him
Last edited by officer_dibble on Fri May 19, 2023 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri May 19, 2023 11:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:05 pm

We are more like a not as good Torquay United.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 19, 2023 11:10 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:06 pm
Dan looks like he should be a right handful. I'm not criticising him when there's poor service and balls 30 yards in front of him. I haven't mentioned either of those things nor even goals - they're things you've put in the mix, I agree it's not fair to judge him on that when none of those happen and the service has been missing, so I haven't and I'm not. He's 24. If he was 19, I'd be yeah ok that's probably what I'd expect very rough around the edges. He had his best game for us (for me) against Brizzle R last match of the season, and one decent cameo where he put himself about.

IE will make the call as he sees fit - and he sees a lot more in training than me, but for me I wouldn't be on the phone to Southampton on Monday.
All fair. He's one of those who has been stuck in reserve footy far too long and not learnt his trade until recently.

We'll see what call Evatt makes. Iles and others seem fairly convinced he's staying, but that sort of thing can change with a stiff breeze.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 19, 2023 11:11 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:04 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:55 pm
BTW we create absolutely nothing - our midfield is weak as piss & our tactics are, were none existent. Tonight pass sideways & backwards for a minute or so and then just nice person it forwards towards their 3 x 6ft 5 plus CB's.

Can anyone please let me in on Evatt's tactical plan tonight ?
He wanted to drop Nlundulu back and play around him as a pivot, but Barnsley saw it coming and they put two on him. They then forced the ball out to Toal and said "Go on then."

In the second half we had that 15 minute spell where we got going and it was because we shifted the shape in midfield and were able to get the ball away from Toal with Morley as a 6. When Barnsley got a grip on that and started forcing it back to Toal again we couldn't respond.

Morley is a good player, but he can't turn and drive with the ball - so Barnsley kept him on his wrong foot and that was that.

They're not a special side, but they are very organised and their players understand how football works.
Let’s not pretend there is some magical thing. Anyone facing just about any side with a back three and two up front will want to force the ball to the wide centre backs - that’s obvious.

The reason Barnsley could do that was because the midfield three weren’t able to impose themselves on the game and our wing backs aren’t good enough going forwards to really stretch opponents setup like that. You can let Randell have the ball, he won’t hurt you much even in space, same with Bradley though you don’t want him running at the box.

If you can’t play through the midfield you need an outlet. So split the strikers and run in behind. But it relies on someone who can trap a ball and not look like they are about to fall over their own laces.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 19, 2023 11:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:51 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:43 pm
This is my honest opinion on that team tonight - the only BWFC player that I think would hurt us if they left is Santos, the rest are bang average (apart from Trafford & Bradley) mid table league 1 players or league two players.

At this level a lot of the difference is hunger, desire, intensity, bottle - loads of ours don't have any of these qualities - massive rebuild this summer if we are to improve next season, I'm talking 6 or 7 first teamers.

Oh and this tippy tappy boring as feck, slow & predicable football needs to evolve next season, unless there is a possession trophy Evatt is after. Evatt needs to change from being a one trick pony and could we please have a couple of players who can beat a man and run with the ball or is this to much to ask ? whatever happened to the Barrowcelona its more like Boringcelona.
I think part of the problem with the "tippy tappy boring as feck" thing, is if people think City are a boring watch (not all the time, but some of it) - because it's so antiseptic and often even if you up tempo, it doesn't always feel intense - then the chances of us doing much else than looking boring is fairly limited. :-)
I think we need to dispel the myth that we are some crap league one version of Man City. Even if we take the absolute absurdity of the quality gap away - we aren’t playing or trying to play remotely like Guardiola sets city up. This week he has Grealish and Silva as wing backs high up the pitch compresses the play with two 6’s protecting the back three and then two free behind a target. Their patterns of play are nothing like ours - even again ignoring quality.

We are more like a not as good Sheffield United under Wilder.
The point was not about whether we were like City structurally/formation wise, it was that if people see tippy tappy as boring when City play it, then that's going to be 10 fold when we tippy tappy and don't actually then go anywhere with it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 19, 2023 11:14 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:10 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:06 pm

All fair. He's one of those who has been stuck in reserve footy far too long and not learnt his trade until recently.

We'll see what call Evatt makes. Iles and others seem fairly convinced he's staying, but that sort of thing can change with a stiff breeze.
Worry is that Evatt spent half a million on the fridge, and he can’t even get in the side for the big games….

I’d suggest that someone needs to sit Evatt down and just make him watch the game and then hopefully he will come to his senses.

He’s a bit hit and miss with strikers or Markham or whoever is picking. For me we need someone either with real pace and some ability on the ball or Michael Smith type. I feel we are crying out for a target who backs in, holds it up and lets us play from there when things aren’t going our way…like tonight.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri May 19, 2023 11:15 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:09 pm
There's a player there and we've not particularly helped him but I'd be shocked if we signed him this summer. Let someone else take the risk or see if he can develop after another season on loan or in Southamptons reserves.

Tbh I'd not lose sleep if we let all those out of contract go. There are ample Bosmans about just as good or better.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 19, 2023 11:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:13 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:51 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:43 pm
This is my honest opinion on that team tonight - the only BWFC player that I think would hurt us if they left is Santos, the rest are bang average (apart from Trafford & Bradley) mid table league 1 players or league two players.

At this level a lot of the difference is hunger, desire, intensity, bottle - loads of ours don't have any of these qualities - massive rebuild this summer if we are to improve next season, I'm talking 6 or 7 first teamers.

Oh and this tippy tappy boring as feck, slow & predicable football needs to evolve next season, unless there is a possession trophy Evatt is after. Evatt needs to change from being a one trick pony and could we please have a couple of players who can beat a man and run with the ball or is this to much to ask ? whatever happened to the Barrowcelona its more like Boringcelona.
I think part of the problem with the "tippy tappy boring as feck" thing, is if people think City are a boring watch (not all the time, but some of it) - because it's so antiseptic and often even if you up tempo, it doesn't always feel intense - then the chances of us doing much else than looking boring is fairly limited. :-)
I think we need to dispel the myth that we are some crap league one version of Man City. Even if we take the absolute absurdity of the quality gap away - we aren’t playing or trying to play remotely like Guardiola sets city up. This week he has Grealish and Silva as wing backs high up the pitch compresses the play with two 6’s protecting the back three and then two free behind a target. Their patterns of play are nothing like ours - even again ignoring quality.

We are more like a not as good Sheffield United under Wilder.
The point was not about whether we were like City structurally/formation wise, it was that if people see tippy tappy as boring when City play it, then that's going to be 10 fold when we tippy tappy and don't actually then go anywhere with it.
I mean I’m not aware of people finding city boring to watch tbh. For me the reason they aren’t is that they commit players out wide really high up the pitch regardless of system and stretch the play to exploit gaps down the channels. And they can shift gears, but that means they always create moments in and around the box.

For me we often look a bit dull cos we have our wider outlets deep and if we can’t play through midfield it’s sideways and backwards cos we have no outlet.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 19, 2023 11:17 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:15 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
There's a player there and we've not particularly helped him but I'd be shocked if we signed him this summer. Let someone else take the risk or see if he can develop after another season on loan or in Southamptons reserves.

Tbh I'd not lose sleep if we let all those out of contract go. There are ample Bosmans about just as good or better.
On the evidence I’ve seen thus far we aren’t signing better than Dad Bod…

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Fri May 19, 2023 11:18 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

We are more like a not as good Torquay United.
We did finish fifth this season. You might have missed it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 19, 2023 11:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:11 pm
Let’s not pretend there is some magical thing. Anyone facing just about any side with a back three and two up front will want to force the ball to the wide centre backs - that’s obvious.
But they didn't force the ball "to the wide centre backs", they forced it to Toal. Not Toal and Johnston...just Toal. That was the goal of their press, because it was the most reliable way to get transitions.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri May 19, 2023 11:19 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:07 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:01 pm
Big test next season for Evatt. Can he adjust the style to turn us into proper contenders or is he a pound shop Pep, whose sides will roll over at the merest press and aggression?
That's the only positive, for me. Barnsley are probably the best "aggression" side in the division and we didn't roll over. We lost, but in previous seasons they'd have taken us to the cleaners.

We lacked the quality we needed to win, but we kept going and they didn't look good. The spoiled the game and more power to them for that, but they didn't at any stage look like battering us by a few.

We're not miles off where we need to be.
I think that we are some distance off - apart from quality, we lack nous & aggression throughout the side, we are to nice we are like a team of schoolboys or choir boys compared to most teams - we need 2 or 3 generals, some steel in the side, some naughty feck* who know the dark arts.

Big summer for Evatt IMO we can't keep playing in the same tippy tappy manor unless we spend serious money on players who can play that way & if we don't have the funds Evatt needs to think about a plan B or C. Trying to play like a poundshop Pep with players who can't play that way is utter madness (IMO)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 19, 2023 11:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:17 pm
I mean I’m not aware of people finding city boring to watch tbh. For me the reason they aren’t is that they commit players out wide really high up the pitch regardless of system and stretch the play to exploit gaps down the channels. And they can shift gears, but that means they always create moments in and around the box.

For me we often look a bit dull cos we have our wider outlets deep and if we can’t play through midfield it’s sideways and backwards cos we have no outlet.
There's plenty that think watching City isn't half as entertaining as a good old huff and bluster, kick them in the stands affair. Again not formation wise, we used to laugh at Italian football on C4 in the 80's, because they did pretty much the same thing (well maybe not Ghosty and DSB :-) )...at times it can be like watching a chess game - which is for some, but not all.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 19, 2023 11:28 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:18 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:11 pm
But they didn't force the ball "to the wide centre backs", they forced it to Toal. Not Toal and Johnston...just Toal. That was the goal of their press, because it was the most reliable way to get transitions.
Tonight maybe but they targeted Johnston on Saturday, as Dearden says Johnston good defender…not great on the ball…

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 19, 2023 11:28 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:19 pm
I think that we are some distance off - apart from quality, we lack nous & aggression throughout the side, we are to nice we are like a team of schoolboys or choir boys compared to most teams - we need 2 or 3 generals, some steel in the side, some naughty feck* who know the dark arts.

Big summer for Evatt IMO we can't keep playing in the same tippy tappy manor unless we spend serious money on players who can play that way & if we don't have the funds Evatt needs to think about a plan B or C. Trying to play like a poundshop Pep with players who can't play that way is utter madness (IMO)
And yet we get better every season playing this "utter madness."

We're absolutely fine.

Evatt has had multiple plans on display this season. We've played different teams in different ways and more often than not we've won. Including battering some very good sides.

We came up short against a side that has benefitted from Championship money. That doesn't mean you rip up the script that has been working for years now.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 19, 2023 11:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:17 pm

There's plenty that think watching City isn't half as entertaining as a good old huff and bluster, kick them in the stands affair. Again not formation wise, we used to laugh at Italian football on C4 in the 80's, because they did pretty much the same thing (well maybe not Ghosty and DSB :-) )...at times it can be like watching a chess game - which is for some, but not all.
Ah ok. But I’d say City are the antithesis of 80’s and 90’s 1-0 Italian football as they commit so much forwards and expand the pitch rather than narrow it. They score so many goals for that reason unlike your AC Milan’s etc of that vintage where it was a 1-0 often. I get the temp thing at times. They are happy to slow it down and speed it up and aren’t just lumping it into the box.

The thing for me with us is we are boring in the main cos we lack outlets. People who can get us up the pitch reliably. Fossey made us so much more dynamic and direct for a period, Bradley whilst all round a super talent didn’t have the same effect….

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri May 19, 2023 11:39 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:19 pm
I think that we are some distance off

We finished 5th.

I agree improvement is needed if we want to go up. For me, that's about consistency: we need to be beating mid to lower table sides regularly and taking more points off promotion rivals. But, I don't think we're far off that. Two or three signings maybe?
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri May 19, 2023 11:41 pm

I think we can get promoted next season, but I’m not confident.

We need perhaps seven new players, and probably need the majority of them to be of Championship level ability. That’s a tall order.