Contract expiry

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:21 am

IDK, Insano. I’d like him to score goals and challenge for a position. Would be nice if we could have four rotating goalscorers like last spring.

To put it another way, I don’t want his loan to fail.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:21 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:12 am
It might be hard for him to get enough game time to make an impact to push towards a permanent deal. In fact I hope he doesn’t as I suspect that would mean we have issues.
He'll play. Not sure why you'd hope he won't. He's a talented player.

Regardless, the current intention is he stays. Marc says that's what both Nlundulu and the club want. If he doesn't play at all you'd imagine that would change, but so long as he's seeing enough grass to keep him happy and fee is reasonable it sounds like that's a planned investment for the summer.

Evatt will likely go more off training than anything. Dapo had some pretty dire games for us during his loan period and we made sure to snap him up, because he had clear potential.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:27 am

He loves to rotate the forwards and keep them on their toes doesn't he? Plus as DSB looked at, he always changes them. Plus that mad April. He'll get plenty opportunities. Hopefully he takes them and we look pretty set for next year in the most important area on the pitch. If he doesn't we have a chance for one of Ghost 's small refreshes. Up top is fine!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:46 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:21 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:12 am
It might be hard for him to get enough game time to make an impact to push towards a permanent deal. In fact I hope he doesn’t as I suspect that would mean we have issues.
He'll play. Not sure why you'd hope he won't. He's a talented player.

Regardless, the current intention is he stays. Marc says that's what both Nlundulu and the club want. If he doesn't play at all you'd imagine that would change, but so long as he's seeing enough grass to keep him happy and fee is reasonable it sounds like that's a planned investment for the summer.

Evatt will likely go more off training than anything. Dapo had some pretty dire games for us during his loan period and we made sure to snap him up, because he had clear potential.
I think he's behind the others in the pecking order. But maybe I'm wrong. I don't care who does the business but we need to pick the right teams. I'd argue that given we've got Jerome and Ade on for next season already there is also a question as to whether Big Dan cuts through given he's a similar sort.

I don't want him to fail at all. If he bangs the goals in then great. I just suspect he's gone behind Ade and CJ in the pecking order and might struggle for time. And IF that happens it means we're going well.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:49 am

The other way to look at it is that Dan doesn't have the added pressure on him now to be banging goals in and leading the line. Evatt and his coaches can now be mor epatient with him and work on him in more detail to actually mould him to be the striker that we want.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:24 am

I think the fact we've made a big deal of Jerome "helping our young strikers develop" probably means we mean business with Nlundulu, who is the youngest and least experienced of that group. Even if he's behind the other three, I'm not sure that prevents him staying. He's talked about his long term progression and that this is the place to be to develop, so we'll see what we see there.

Talent only matters if you can put it on the pitch, after all. I'll be giving him plenty of time to impress, though.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:24 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:24 am
Talent only matters if you can put it on the pitch, after all.
I put all my LB talent onto the pitch..it didn't seem to make a whole lotta difference! :D

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:29 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:24 pm
I put all my LB talent onto the pitch..it didn't seem to make a whole lotta difference! :D
We can't all be Dean Moxey.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:36 am

Having had a look at the market a bit, the squad and how easy each department is to deal with in the summer, I've changed my mind slightly. I'd probably offer Lee a one year extension, if the assessment is he can maintain his level. Partly for the Cameron Jerome style "we need some experience" aspect, but also because if he doesn't renew I think we need to get up to 4 in in midfield (including 10) and even getting 2 good ones would be tricky in a very competitive market for midfielders in the summer.

We did well in January, but unless the majority of the loans stay we've left ourselves too much to do to let Lee go and, whilst I personally don't, Evatt may feel that also applies to Dixon.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:50 am

Were I personally picking a loan keeper, by the way, I would wonder whether we could get Onkonkwo from Arsenal if we went up. He was on loan at Crewe where he was exceptional in a shocking side, so they recalled him and sent him to fight for the title in Austria with Strum Graz. He has been Arsenal's third choice keeper for a bit, but if he's to move past that a full season of Championship football may be just the ticket.

Who knows. Maybe training up CL teams' No.2 keepers could be our niche in the game.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:06 am

As good as Trafford has been I’d really like us to invest in our own keeper. It’s too risky to be hoping for a good loan each season and the risk of them being pulled in January if they are doing well always exists too.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:15 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:06 am
As good as Trafford has been I’d really like us to invest in our own keeper. It’s too risky to be hoping for a good loan each season and the risk of them being pulled in January if they are doing well always exists too.
Would be good. I'm guessing none of our B team / Rezzies are anywhere near?

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:51 pm

I would definatly offer Lee a new contract. He has been has played really well this season and is quality.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 25, 2023 2:46 pm

End-of-season contract decisions:
Released: Dixon, Lee, Isgrove, Kachunga; Mackenzie Chapman, Matty Grivosti, Lynford Sackey, Adam Senior, Connor Stanley
Loan ended: Trafford, Mbete, Bradley, Shoretire, Nlundulu

Offered new contracts: Sheehan, Bodvarsson
Signed new contracts: Max Conway, Fin Lockett, Nelson Khumbeni, Ellis Litherland, Arran Pettifer, Lamine Toure, Matt Tweedley
Contract extension triggered: MJ Williams

OFFERED NEW CONTRACT, LENGTH UNKNOWN
Josh Sheehan (30/3/95)
Jon Dadi Bodvarsson (25/5/92)

JUNE 2024
Gethin Jones (13/10/95)
George Johnston (1/9/98)
MJ Williams (6/11/95)
Declan John (30/6/95)
Kyle Dempsey (17/9/95)
Kieran Sadlier (14/9/94)
Cameron Jerome (14/8/86)

JUNE 2025
Ricardo Santos (18/6/95)
Eoin Toal (15/2/99)
Jack Iredale (2/5/96)
Randell Williams (30/12/96)
George Thomason (12/1/01) "with the option for a further year"
Aaron Morley (27/2/00)
Dion Charles (7/10/95)

JUNE 2026
Victor Adeboyejo (12/1/98)

---------------------------------
B-team & young pros:
*Conor Carty (25/5/02)
*Luke Hutchinson (1/9/02)
*Nelson Khumbeni (14/10/02) contracted to 2025 +1
*Gez Sithole (28/12/02)
**Fin Lockett (20/4/03) contracted to 2024 +1
**Max Conway (5/9/03) contracted to 2025 +1
**Arran Pettifer (1/10/03) contracted to 2024 +1
**Lamine Toure (24/12/03) contracted to 2024 +1
***Eric Yoro (19/2/04)
***Matty Tweedley (16/4/04) contracted to 2024 +1
***Elis Litherland (5/5/04) contracted to 2025 +1
***Wes Frimpong (13/12/04)
****Noah Halford (1/1/05, allegedly) contracted to 2024 +1
****Sonny Sharples (23/03/05) contracted to 2024 +1
****Sam Inwood (17/09/05) contracted to 2026

*Stars indicate underage players; number of stars indicates number of seasons they will remain underage, assuming EFL age rules don't change. So Conor Carty is in his last underage season, but Sam Inwood has three more after the 2023/24 season.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri May 26, 2023 8:59 am

I think the released list is fair enough. There was an argument to keep Lee for his experience and undoubted quality, but he's been suffering with his old injury problems in the second half of the season and they've plagued him for years

It's testament to the club just how much we actually got out of him really. Farewell and thanks for a quality shift

Isgrove seemed popular and whilst verstaile and willing, I think it's fair to say he;s not quite at the level we are, or certainly want to be at

Kacha, thanks for the 2 goals this season. Both big ones, but we can certainly improve on him. Personally thought he was very disappointing.

Senior and Dixon were certs to be released. Both had some opportunities and neither took them
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 26, 2023 10:34 am

Hadn't spotted Senior had gone too...

I reckon we've had plenty of seasons where we've been in a situation, where the majority view has been "can get rid of all of them," and "not trying/playing for the shirt." "Overpaid sack of shite" etc...But for me all the names we've released, whether they're good enough or not, have given us 100% of what they had...So yeah, good luck to them.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:57 am

2 more years for Josh Sheehan.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:31 pm

Happy enough with Sheehan coming back. He put in some good displays towards the end of the season and hopefully should be primed to deliver more consistently now he's put the injury behind him.

I also think continuity in the playing squad is important, and Josh coming back means there's one less new body needed through the door, so the recruitment team can focus on other positions.

One slight concern that I, and I know others on here, harbour is the lack of physicality we have in midfield. A rotation of Morley, Dempsey, Sheehan and Thomason lacks size and athleticism, and I worry we will suffer for it if it's not addressed in this window.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:34 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:31 pm
Happy enough with Sheehan coming back. He put in some good displays towards the end of the season and hopefully should be primed to deliver more consistently now he's put the injury behind him.

I also think continuity in the playing squad is important, and Josh coming back means there's one less new body needed through the door, so the recruitment team can focus on other positions.

One slight concern that I, and I know others on here, harbour is the lack of physicality we have in midfield. A rotation of Morley, Dempsey, Sheehan and Thomason lacks size and athleticism, and I worry we will suffer for it if it's not addressed in this window.
I think never better emphasised than the Barnsley game. Whatever midfield three you permed weren't going to physically match Barnsley nor were they 'that good' that they didn't have to.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:52 pm

Not unhappy particularly, other than others have said, "If you do what you did, you'll get what you got" type of thing. Our MF whilst not unhappy with it feels much of a muchness.