Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:35 pm

Cole Stockton leaves the cup game with an injury.

If he could be out until September that'd be lovely.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:08 pm

That didn't take very long....Haaland 1 Burnley 0 lol 4 mins

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:52 pm

VAR farce, shocker.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:35 pm

Not a huge VAR fan. But sometimes it delivers the goods. Today is one of those days. Utd think they’ve won it. Celebrate as though they’ve won the World Cup. ‘Onside’ calls Gary Neville. Denied by the a fingernail by VAR. Then Arsenal win it deep into stoppage time.

Couldn’t write a better script.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:22 am

Dion Charles started for Northern Ireland last night in a 4-2 defeat. He was replaced by Josh Magennis at H.T at 3-1 down. They are all but out of the qualification picture now and some disillusionment amongst their supporters about their lack of quality and depth.

Eoin Toal didn't make it onto the pitch

Josh Sheehan was a second half substitute in their 0-0 draw with South Korea
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:02 pm

1-1 draw with Ukraine. Tough game against a good, side. I wouldn't givr Rahford house room after that disinterested display. Kane great' Kyle Walker MOTM/
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:22 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:02 pm
1-1 draw with Ukraine. Tough game against a good, side. I wouldn't givr Rahford house room after that disinterested display. Kane great' Kyle Walker MOTM/
I mean Rashford came on. He didn’t start.

If we are being honest then playing donkeys like Henderson and Maguire is exactly why England aren’t progressing. Neither should be anywhere near an international squad.

Neither should chilwell for me. Flatters to deceive.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:19 am

Meh. It wasn't good, but it was a truly awful pitch, they're not a bad side (and obviously were mega pumped). Already basically qualified, it's a perfectly fine point.

Agree that it's tough to see how Henderson and Maguire are still in there. Chilwell is an excellent player.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:32 pm

Not an Henderson lover, but McGuire is okay for me. The Ukraine style is the criteria for today's football, yet we still seem to believe pointless possession matters when it's more a stat than a reality. Everybody has us sussed and we still think man marking, retreating and shepherding players is the way forth when the rest bully us and wolf-pack defend against us. Bolton wanderers are coming up against the same thing if they did but see it. Football has changed and we need to change with it. One reason is poor refereeing standards a la caveman style assault. Galagher can be an asset, but Rashford made no attempt at all to attack. Send him home.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:33 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:32 pm
Not an Henderson lover, but McGuire is okay for me. The Ukraine style is the criteria for today's football, yet we still seem to believe pointless possession matters when it's more a stat than a reality. Everybody has us sussed and we still think man marking, retreating and shepherding players is the way forth when the rest bully us and wolf-pack defend against us. Bolton wanderers are coming up against the same thing if they did but see it. Football has changed and we need to change with it. One reason is poor refereeing standards a la caveman style assault. Galagher can be an asset, but Rashford made no attempt at all to attack. Send him home.
Teams surrender possession against Bolton and England and sit deep. In many cases. The fact is that when a team does that they aren’t a wolf pack but just denying space and waiting for a turnover.

Englands problem was an inability to break them down and create chances.

But simply put it’s Englands midfield isn’t good enough to break teams down. It’s that simple.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:33 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:32 pm
Everybody has us sussed and we still think man marking, retreating and shepherding players is the way forth when the rest bully us and wolf-pack defend against us.
Teams surrender possession against Bolton and England and sit deep. In many cases. The fact is that when a team does that they aren’t a wolf pack but just denying space and waiting for a turnover.

Really? I didn't see much surrendering in some of the tackles.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:38 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:19 am
Meh. It wasn't good, but it was a truly awful pitch, they're not a bad side (and obviously were mega pumped). Already basically qualified, it's a perfectly fine point.

Agree that it's tough to see how Henderson and Maguire are still in there. Chilwell is an excellent player.
The Saudi Government will be paying the FA to play Henderson. I have absolutely no doubt about it
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:01 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:38 am
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:19 am

The Saudi Government will be paying the FA to play Henderson. I have absolutely no doubt about it
:lol: give over Boris!!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:41 pm

Very funny evening of football. 9 man Scouse lose to a 97th minute own goal then PGMOL come out and admit they ballsed up disallowing a Liverpool goal in the first half.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:46 pm

Good win for England. Bellingham is the sort of player we'd like Evatt to get on loan...

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:53 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:46 pm
Good win for England. Bellingham is the sort of player we'd like Evatt to get on loan...
Bellingham reminds me of Zidane

There can be no higher praise
What goes around may still come around

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:59 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Aye, and a few Jack Grealishes. Didn't figure much tonight but he's a main man for us. Harry Kane was immense at the sharp end and Bellingham and Rashford did really well as did Foden. Harry Mac and Stones still worry me when they play one touch stuff in our half. The Italians more or less invented the stuff along with fouling and playacting. Beating them always has a certain satisfying feeling, so nuff said. :oyea:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:03 pm

bw@bw wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:53 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Bellingham reminds me of Zidane

There can be no higher praise
Pfft we need him to learn to milk a foul like Campo!

He is very, very good and 20. A bit special.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:17 pm

I think you'd be happy enough with Foden as "this lad is the best thing for the next ten years". Bellingham is ridiculous.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:23 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:17 pm
I think you'd be happy enough with Foden as "this lad is the best thing for the next ten years". Bellingham is ridiculous.
Bellingham is something special. I don't think i've seen a game where he hasn't stood out over the majority of players on the pitch.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see him winning the Ballon D'or. To go to Real Madrid and score a goal a game is impressive (10 appearances, 10 goals, 3 assists), but to do it as a midfielder is even more so, and at the age of twenty, ridiculous.

Anyway, happy camper that we qualified for the Euros, but it wasn't in any doubt given the quality of talent we have and requiring three points from remaining games vs North Macedonia and Malta. Still to qualify by doing the double over the holders is always nice, even if they did get the last laugh in that penalty shootout.