F.A.Cup...Re-play V Luton at Home. Tues 16th Jan 19-45

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: F.A.Cup...V Luton away Sun, 7th Jan 2-0'clock.

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:39 pm

I think for 20,000 on a midweek evening, it'd have to be a tenner a ticket and even then I'd be pleasantly surprised.

Anyway, dependent on sensible pricing, I reckon I'll be there with two others so that's three on the gate at least.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:43 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:30 pm
20k would require £10 tickets all round, no?
Sincerely hope so. No more than £15 adults and £5 concessions, but very much hoping for £10.

Not made the 3rd round since 18/19. Hopefully a load get off their arses and go. Cup games under the lights have been special nights in our history.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:45 pm

This may be Lutons chance for a big payday given that there may be a bigger attendance at our place and possibility of a TV fixture. Usually it would be the other way round given the league positions.

Hopefully the draw favours us somewhat. Big tie or easy run through to the next round. We're not going to win it but a cup run would certainly be intriguing.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:58 pm

Mar wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:45 pm
This may be Lutons chance for a big payday given that there may be a bigger attendance at our place and possibility of a TV fixture. Usually it would be the other way round given the league positions.

Hopefully the draw favours us somewhat. Big tie or easy run through to the next round. We're not going to win it but a cup run would certainly be intriguing.
I'm sure the prem windfall cushions that somewhat!

Should be a good'un. We'll shit 'em.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:23 pm

https://www.thefa.com/competitions/thefacup/prize-fund
This year, each club winning a Third Round game gets £105,000. We're already due £108,000 in total for winning the two previous rounds. These aren't buttons we're talking.

https://www.thefa.com/news/2023/dec/07/ ... s-20231207
Most teams broadcast live in the Third Round non-replays were given £85,000 each. (I say "most" because it can vary by platform: the two on S4C got £48,000 each, and the four on BBC Red Button got £40,000 each).

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:18 pm

Can’t imagine that was a great game to watch as a neutral but I thoroughly enjoyed seeing us go toe to toe with Premier League opposition. The lads more than held their own and should be incredibly proud of their efforts - we were only a bit more quality in the final third away from winning it.

Thank you DJB for the couch - you’re doing God’s work.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:15 am

brommers95 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:18 pm
Can’t imagine that was a great game to watch as a neutral but I thoroughly enjoyed seeing us go toe to toe with Premier League opposition. The lads more than held their own and should be incredibly proud of their efforts - we were only a bit more quality in the final third away from winning it.

Thank you DJB for the couch - you’re doing God’s work.
Had 12 on there today. The springs were tested.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:31 pm

Some lovely postmatch quotes from Nathan Baxter. Is it dusty in here? Or am I just a silly old fool?

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... -decision/

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:36 pm

The fact that we haven't missed a £17m Premier League player is testament to Baxter. A superb addition
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:47 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:36 pm
The fact that we haven't missed a £17m Premier League player is testament to Baxter. A superb addition
He's been quietly outstanding. Which is superb. I miss Trafford mainly because I think he was a leader, for such a young man, and a character. But in goalkeeping terms Baxter has been superb. When you rarely notice a keeper its a good sign.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:01 pm

Completely agree on Baxter - he's been excellent. I actually think we'd struggle to keep hold of him if we failed to go up, and he must be vying with Thomason as our most valuable asset currently.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:47 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:36 pm
He's been quietly outstanding. Which is superb. I miss Trafford mainly because I think he was a leader, for such a young man, and a character. But in goalkeeping terms Baxter has been superb. When you rarely notice a keeper its a good sign.
Indeed. But kudos to all the team, as Baxter has said. We defend from the front and we allow very few shots on goal. In the last 16 games we've kept 12 clean sheets and in those games the number of unblocked efforts on goal has been 1, 3, 2, 0, 1, 0, 5, 2, 1, 1, 1 and 6. That's a team effort.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:11 pm

I note that Baxter is currently only contracted until 2025. I should imagine we'll be looking to extend that asap.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:14 pm

The only minor quibble I have with Baxter is coming to claim corners, crosses etc....command of area could be better. Everything else I think is there. Distribution is good - better than Trafford's for me generally - shot stopping is outstanding. Doesn't make errors. Its only command of his area where I feel - if he nailed that - he'd be in the top flight!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:19 pm

Luton had a few large units attacking our box. I was really pleased a the way Ricardo and co coped in dealing with them. I don't quite get heart attacks these days every time they come over halfway. Quite a few of our opponents seem to rely on the wings as principal attackers and I also like the two man defending tactic we didn't always have. All in all, good stuff. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:14 pm
The only minor quibble I have with Baxter is coming to claim corners, crosses etc....command of area could be better. Everything else I think is there. Distribution is good - better than Trafford's for me generally - shot stopping is outstanding. Doesn't make errors. Its only command of his area where I feel - if he nailed that - he'd be in the top flight!
The issue with Baxter coming to claim may be injury related. He's not a massive keeper, so claiming in a ruck means significant physical impact. It's entirely possible we're coaching defending the box to avoid that. Two shoulder surgeries (and an ankle) can make coaching teams conservative.

He does come out when there's a clear lane. It's when there's traffic that he stays at home. Would be very interesting to talk to Gilks about it, I'd imagine. If he's being told to come for it and instead staying on his line then there's work to do there, I agree.

All in all, though, he's as expected. Far too good for this level and if we don't go up I'd imagine he will be looking to without us.

If we can get him to sign a new deal before the end of the season I'll be thrilled.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:09 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:55 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:14 pm
The issue with Baxter coming to claim may be injury related. He's not a massive keeper, so claiming in a ruck means significant physical impact. It's entirely possible we're coaching defending the box to avoid that. Two shoulder surgeries (and an ankle) can make coaching teams conservative.

He does come out when there's a clear lane. It's when there's traffic that he stays at home. Would be very interesting to talk to Gilks about it, I'd imagine. If he's being told to come for it and instead staying on his line then there's work to do there, I agree.

All in all, though, he's as expected. Far too good for this level and if we don't go up I'd imagine he will be looking to without us.

If we can get him to sign a new deal before the end of the season I'll be thrilled.
Yeah I mean height obviously plays a role there. And could well be that injury history is changing how we use him in that regard.

But I think IF he could command his area better he'd be top flight quality - that's the area holding him back a bit. If any.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:09 pm
Yeah I mean height obviously plays a role there. And could well be that injury history is changing how we use him in that regard.

But I think IF he could command his area better he'd be top flight quality - that's the area holding him back a bit. If any.
No disagreement from me.

I spoke to a 'keeper who used to work with him, over Christmas, and he was full of praise.

He said if it wasn't for injuries he'd have expected Baxter to be in the Premier League as a first choice goalkeeper. He started the conversation, rather than me, which I suppose shows the impact a young Baxter's ability had on a senior pro.

Judging goalkeepers isn't really my wheelhouse, but I've always rated him.

I do like our goalkeeping department now - for the first time under Evatt. A class act as first choice. A solid, dependable, experienced, local lad backing him up. Young talent behind that.

If you could build an ideal unit it'd be that.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:00 pm

Palace or Everton away should we manage to win the replay.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:03 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:00 pm
Palace or Everton away should we manage to win the replay.
Cripes. Well, Everton might be a decent payday, and Dyche might be in concentrate-on-the-league mode. And it's not unwinnable... but we have another job on first.