Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:16 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:57 pm
As Insane says, a loan makes sense for both us and the player. The issue was always whether it meant sense for Swansea. Apparently so...
They save wages. They send him to a good club that plays similarish football. And they get to decide whether to extend or cut him loose.

Yes, there’s a chance any loanee falls in love with his temporary home - and in this case, with lapsing contract, could therefore choose to stay there, assuming he’s still wanted.

But Swansea can be confident they can offer second-tier football next season. We can’t, Posh can’t. So I can see why they’d take the risk - rather than the risk of extending a contract for a player signed two managers ago (although TBF Williams was then Russell Martin’s assistant).

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:20 pm

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 15.19.11.jpeg.png
Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 15.19.11.jpeg.png (380.17 KiB) Viewed 607 times

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:20 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:04 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:01 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:30 pm
Williams can play RWB as well can’t he? I certainly read Evatts comments as we aren’t signing another wingback. I wonder if we’ll see a midfielder as well next week.
I've been in the lakes all day with patchy internet. Which comments?
Official site.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/wanderers-c ... gbeta-loan
Last season he had a really impressive spell at Peterborough,” said Evatt. “His performances were excellent. He's very much the type of player we want and need for that position. He comes in to add competition for places and to make us better and I think he does that.

“We've probably needed to make this move more urgently because of the Randell scenario but that happens in football and that's not to say they can't play together at some point as I think either could play either side.

“It's an exciting one for us. Nathanael is a player we’ve looked at for the past couple of windows who wasn't available then. He’s available to us now and we've been lucky enough to make it happen.”
Cheers.

If Evatt is saying that Ogbeta coming in negates the need for a right wing back then I disagree with him. Regardless, I'm delighted to see the new lad in the shirt.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:24 pm

Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:16 pm
They save wages. They send him to a good club that plays similarish football. And they get to decide whether to extend or cut him loose.

Yes, there’s a chance any loanee falls in love with his temporary home - and in this case, with lapsing contract, could therefore choose to stay there, assuming he’s still wanted.

But Swansea can be confident they can offer second-tier football next season. We can’t, Posh can’t. So I can see why they’d take the risk - rather than the risk of extending a contract for a player signed two managers ago (although TBF Williams was then Russell Martin’s assistant).
Unless they have a clause absolutely nobody knows about then they have to have written him off.

You can't plan your transfer policy around a lad who has been sent to a club obviously on the up whilst on an expiring contract.

It may be that they have a really good rationale for the write-off, but if they're doing it on the off chance they can get him to sign on again it's mental from a technical standpoint.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:46 pm

On Swansea, I hope you’re right.

On Evatt’s quote… I don’t think he’s ruling out another RWB, he just sort of painted himself into a corner by saying Ogbeta can replace Williams, then backtracking by saying they could both play together because RW can play either side, then thinking he didn’t want to say Ogbeta couldn’t.

I am intrigued as to what positions we (try to) strengthen next week. And whether perm or loan. How many loanees can be in the matchday squad? We now have three on the books (Ogbeta, Maghoma, Ashworth) and have been chasing at least one more (Ennis) - but on the other hand if we make loads of perm signings it lessens our wiggle room in summer….

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:53 pm

Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:46 pm

On Evatt’s quote… I don’t think he’s ruling out another RWB, he just sort of painted himself into a corner by saying Ogbeta can replace Williams, then backtracking by saying they could both play together because RW can play either side, then thinking he didn’t want to say Ogbeta couldn’t.

I am intrigued as to what positions we (try to) strengthen next week. And whether perm or loan. How many loanees can be in the matchday squad? We now have three on the books (Ogbeta, Maghoma, Ashworth) and have been chasing at least one more (Ennis) - but on the other hand if we make loads of perm signings it lessens our wiggle room in summer….
Max of 5 loanees in a matchday selection.

So long as we improve the manager's options and the signings have an impact I don't mind what we do.

They keep bringing in (or at least targeting) players I'd pick, so I'm happy. Hard for me to bang on about Ogbeta and complain now on any level.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:57 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:20 pm
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:04 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:01 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:30 pm
Williams can play RWB as well can’t he? I certainly read Evatts comments as we aren’t signing another wingback. I wonder if we’ll see a midfielder as well next week.
I've been in the lakes all day with patchy internet. Which comments?
Official site.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/wanderers-c ... gbeta-loan
Last season he had a really impressive spell at Peterborough,” said Evatt. “His performances were excellent. He's very much the type of player we want and need for that position. He comes in to add competition for places and to make us better and I think he does that.

“We've probably needed to make this move more urgently because of the Randell scenario but that happens in football and that's not to say they can't play together at some point as I think either could play either side.

“It's an exciting one for us. Nathanael is a player we’ve looked at for the past couple of windows who wasn't available then. He’s available to us now and we've been lucky enough to make it happen.”
Cheers.

If Evatt is saying that Ogbeta coming in negates the need for a right wing back then I disagree with him. Regardless, I'm delighted to see the new lad in the shirt.
I'd rather him play as an emergency right wing-back than centre-back!

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:59 pm

Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:46 pm

Striker, midfielder and centre-back I would have thought. Maybe someone who can play both the latter two, although if it's Moxon then not.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:44 pm

Yeah the MJ Williams type might be one. Plus a striker.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:58 pm

Maybe Evatt thinks he can muddle through with JDC at RWB as he's got Matheson if needed and Gethin to return next month. Also CMG at a stretch could potentially fill that role as well but it's one that I wouldn't be keen to see happen too often. But then what do I know? :lol:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:05 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:44 pm
Maybe if the Moxon rumour is true that's where Evatt sees him? Has Moxon ever played CB before?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:09 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:05 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:44 pm
Maybe if the Moxon rumour is true that's where Evatt sees him? Has Moxon ever played CB before?
I think we’d be wise to steer well clear of Moxon. Heard a fair few bad things. Not sure he’s what we want or need.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:50 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:09 pm
I think we’d be wise to steer well clear of Moxon. Heard a fair few bad things. Not sure he’s what we want or need.
Possibly not now, no.

We've altered how we play somewhat and it requires a degree more mobility than previously. That's Moxon's main issue.

He can play at a higher level with the right attitude and coaching, but I imagine the profile we'd look at in the summer would be rather different.

Focus on pitch coverage and transition resistance seems likely, to go with the possession stuff. Quite a narrow profile at this level, but if we go up and with the additional data work from Ludo it might get interesting.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:04 pm

https://twitter.com/DanJHargraves/statu ... UQXyg&s=19

Aaron Collins linked with us (and Wrexham)

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:11 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:50 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Possibly not now, no.

We've altered how we play somewhat and it requires a degree more mobility than previously. That's Moxon's main issue.

He can play at a higher level with the right attitude and coaching, but I imagine the profile we'd look at in the summer would be rather different.

Focus on pitch coverage and transition resistance seems likely, to go with the possession stuff. Quite a narrow profile at this level, but if we go up and with the additional data work from Ludo it might get interesting.
I think his attitude may be under question due to him not wanting to sign on again with Carlisle. That's understandable given he's mid twenties and got two decent transfers left in his career (presumably). He's right to try and cash in on his skills rather than toughing it out in league two next season. His attitude can't be that bad given he won player of the season previously.

As for how well he'd work in our system. I think there's an element of MJ Williams in there. If he can come in and cover midfield and defence, then that'd free up any concerns we may have when injuries start to bite.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:12 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:11 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:50 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Possibly not now, no.

I think his attitude may be under question due to him not wanting to sign on again with Carlisle. That's understandable given he's mid twenties and got two decent transfers left in his career (presumably). He's right to try and cash in on his skills rather than toughing it out in league two next season. His attitude can't be that bad given he won player of the season previously.

As for how well he'd work in our system. I think there's an element of MJ Williams in there. If he can come in and cover midfield and defence, then that'd free up any concerns we may have when injuries start to bite.
From what I know of Moxon he’s nowt like MJ. More like Morley. A relatively static playmaker. Lovely pass on him. Not that much workrate or off the ball stuff.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:12 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:04 pm

Interesting - Ghost has eyed him up before. One respondent says he (Collins not Ghost) doesn’t track or work in a WB system…. I’ll assume we know what we are doing.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:16 pm

Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:12 pm
jmjhb wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:04 pm

Interesting - Ghost has eyed him up before. One respondent says he (Collins not Ghost) doesn’t track or work in a WB system…. I’ll assume we know what we are doing.
Given the potential fee involved I would only expect this if the rumoured interest in Vic materialises.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:32 pm

Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:12 pm
Would be a striker for us and a very good one. Does his pressing work just fine, as he showed against us at the Toughsheetbokronbol where it led to a goal for them.

We're going up if we get him.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:36 pm

Pray tell, who is this Aaron Collins thou dost speak of?