Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:18 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:13 pm
What about this Max Dean lad at MK Dons? Since coming into their team he's been banging goals in and apparently is now attracting interest from Toulouse. Rumours of a £1m fee, but given he's only 19 that might be a better deal than paying similar for Aaron Collins.

No indication whatsoever that we're interested, and MK I'm sure would rather keep him for their promotion push, but maybe we could turn the kid's head.
Different profile of player, though.

Collins is someone who has won promotions and then been PotY in this division.

I mean I'm completely lost on where we are at the minute, but in the case of both Ennis and Collins we appear to be targeting known quantities in this division who have a promotion under their belt.

"The right level, experience and character" as Gilks said at one of the preseason games.

We could do something out of left field, but that seems to be where we are right now :conf:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:26 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:13 pm
What about this Max Dean lad at MK Dons? Since coming into their team he's been banging goals in and apparently is now attracting interest from Toulouse. Rumours of a £1m fee, but given he's only 19 that might be a better deal than paying similar for Aaron Collins.

No indication whatsoever that we're interested, and MK I'm sure would rather keep him for their promotion push, but maybe we could turn the kid's head.
A million quid for a lad who has ten league goals in his entire career 9 of which came in league two?

I mean way I see it is IF he’s that good on that record and we were going to pay that for him many others would be in to blow us out the water.

If he’s still not at the level where there would be a clamour to sign him then £1M quid for someone who basically has done nowt yet feels very very risky. Yes good age profile and sell on and that. But still. I don’t think we are in that place to do such deals and take that risk.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:26 pm

Liverpool have apparently decided to send Calvin Ramsay here until the end of the season.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:26 pm
A million quid for a lad who has ten league goals in his entire career 9 of which came in league two?

I mean way I see it is IF he’s that good on that record and we were going to pay that for him many others would be in to blow us out the water.

If he’s still not at the level where there would be a clamour to sign him then £1M quid for someone who basically has done nowt yet feels very very risky. Yes good age profile and sell on and that. But still. I don’t think we are in that place to do such deals and take that risk.
Equally you're looking at competing with bigger fish when they're that age and profile.

Look at the fact Al-Hamadi has just gone to Ipswich, who are definitely a bigger fish than us right now.

A fee believed to reach £1.5m plus a big sell-on wedge for a player with 23 League Two goals.

Now, he's brilliant; but we can't afford to get a deal like that wrong, whereas Ipswich can take that risk.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:32 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Liverpool have apparently decided to send Calvin Ramsay here until the end of the season.
This time last year he was ahead of Conor Bradley in the Anfield pecking order

Now we are the finishing school for wingbacks
What goes around may still come around

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:35 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
What's the source on that one?

He's the right type, certainly. Last set of stories I saw on him all concerned Leeds, though.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:36 pm

bw@bw wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:32 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
This time last year he was ahead of Conor Bradley in the Anfield pecking order

Now we are the finishing school for wingbacks
Presumably they'd be looking at us thinking more of the same please given Conor Bradley's got 3 assists in 487 mins (8 appearances), all coming in the last 10 days. Not sure how Ramsay would fit in here, but it'd definitely be extra cover if we're short on numbers at the back. I guess it'd certainly stop CMG from having to cover the RB slot on occasion.

I suspect there's possibly an element of Bradley talking positive about his time here and the rest of the youth at Liverpool taking notice and wanting to replicate it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:39 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Equally you're looking at competing with bigger fish when they're that age and profile.

Look at the fact Al-Hamadi has just gone to Ipswich, who are definitely a bigger fish than us right now.

A fee believed to reach £1.5m plus a big sell-on wedge for a player with 23 League Two goals.

Now, he's brilliant; but we can't afford to get a deal like that wrong, whereas Ipswich can take that risk.
Yeah that's my point. If our judgement on a 1M 19 year old was sound then I can imagine a LOT of bigger boys being in. You can see with Collins maybe why they aren't so much (touch wood).

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:39 pm
You can see with Collins maybe why they aren't so much (touch wood).
The concern will Collins type deals is always that you do the legwork sorting out the finances and then other clubs say "And a penny."

Hopefully the player himself wants to come here above other options. Presumably we've had encouragement in that regard or we'd not be offering so much in the first place, given how we seem to operate.

I don't always hope Pete O is right, but I am hoping so this time.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:56 pm

Well done to everyone involved at the club if this is correct. Shows how right they've been to cultivate these relationships.
Screenshot 2024-01-29 145539.png
Screenshot 2024-01-29 145539.png (1.06 MiB) Viewed 478 times

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:21 pm

Gethin isn't injured either. Could be a decent signing in a couple of weeks.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:23 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:21 pm
Gethin isn't injured either. Could be a decent signing in a couple of weeks.
Screenshot 2024-01-29 152305.png
Screenshot 2024-01-29 152305.png (883.75 KiB) Viewed 442 times

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:43 pm

Bearing in mind on Nov all the noises were we're not looking to do much, if we come out of Jan with Ogbeta, Ramsey and Collins that's some excellent work. I'd like a centre half too (especially given the uncertainty on Geth), but we might be thinking JDC can do that at a push if Geth is fine.

Some quality added if we can get those two done.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:56 pm

Looks like Ramsay is done.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:56 pm
Looks like Ramsay is done.
Yup.

Evatt took pains to note Cogley can play centre half in the announcement quotes. Not sure how much to read into that, but hopefully we're still in the market there.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:06 pm

Ramsey is a strange one to me, because what do you say to JDC, you've been great so far, really better than we could have hoped for but there's this Liverpool kid who's pretty good too so do you mind sitting on the bench for six months? I suppose there's lots of games for them to share but seems a bit harsh on JDC. Similar with Ogbeta too, Ashworth was excellent at Carlisle but now where does he fit in? I'm not complaining, competition for places is good for the club, I'm just not so keen on loan players replacing some of our top performers. And I feel like ST and CB are more of a priority. But here's to the new lad.
Last edited by Spartan2 on Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:08 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:06 pm
Ramsey is a strange one to me, because what do you say to JDC, you've been great so far, really better than we could have hoped for but there's this Liverpool kid who's pretty good too so do you mind sitting on the bench for six months? I suppose there's lots of games for them to share but seems a bit harsh on JDC. Similar with Ogbeta too, Ashworth was excellent at Carlisle but now where does he fit in? I'm not complaining, competition for places is good for the club, I'm just not so keen on loan players replacing some of our top performers. And I feel like ST and CB are more of a priority.
I think the phrase is, fancy a rest lad?

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:10 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:08 pm
Spartan2 wrote:
Ramsey is a strange one to me, because what do you say to JDC, you've been great so far, really better than we could have hoped for but there's this Liverpool kid who's pretty good too so do you mind sitting on the bench for six months? I suppose there's lots of games for them to share but seems a bit harsh on JDC. Similar with Ogbeta too, Ashworth was excellent at Carlisle but now where does he fit in? I'm not complaining, competition for places is good for the club, I'm just not so keen on loan players replacing some of our top performers. And I feel like ST and CB are more of a priority.
I think the phrase is, fancy a rest lad?
Yeah sure but how long does a player actually need to rest for? I can't imagine needing longer than two weeks then what?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:12 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Ramsey is a strange one to me, because what do you say to JDC, you've been great so far, really better than we could have hoped for but there's this Liverpool kid who's pretty good too so do you mind sitting on the bench for six months? I suppose there's lots of games for them to share but seems a bit harsh on JDC. Similar with Ogbeta too, Ashworth was excellent at Carlisle but now where does he fit in? I'm not complaining, competition for places is good for the club, I'm just not so keen on loan players replacing some of our top performers. And I feel like ST and CB are more of a priority. But here's to the new lad.
That's footy. Every new lad is trying to take your shirt. Step up or lose it.

Cogley should have a good while as first choice yet, as we need to test Ramsay's fitness and not break him down. Then it's best man wins and genuine competition for places.

I do wonder if the Ramsay loan isn't with one eye on rolling it over into the Championship, but that's by the by.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:31 pm

More interesting is that Evatt has said that Matheson can leave on loan. I understand the reasoning i.e. him getting regular mens footy, but maybe IE doesn't see him as an actual back-up to JDC?
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle: