Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:31 pm

A wing-back pairing of Ramsay and Ogbeta sounds quite tantalising.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:37 pm

I'm excited, but we should probably put our sensible hats on and remember these lads are largely here due to injuries.

If we can't keep them fit they'll be of no use to anyone.

Ramsay has a recurring knee injury. Ogbeta has had quad issues, leading to hamstring problems.

We have got to manage them better than we have in the past.

These are really serious talents at League One level, but they can't play on one leg.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:38 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:31 pm
More interesting is that Evatt has said that Matheson can leave on loan. I understand the reasoning i.e. him getting regular mens footy, but maybe IE doesn't see him as an actual back-up to JDC?
Maybe wants that little bit of quality we missed at the end of last season?

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:43 pm

Two excellent signings, let's keep them fit. Striker and centre back now please 🙏.

We get players in those two positions in and I'll be absolutely the opposite to the summer in which I was somewhat pessimistic of our chances.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:50 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:43 pm
Two excellent signings, let's keep them fit. Striker and centre back now please 🙏.

We get players in those two positions in and I'll be absolutely the opposite to the summer in which I was somewhat pessimistic of our chances.
I feel that everyone's expectations are changing, except one or two, however it's a nice feeling to have. To be where we are at the minute was something we all dreamed about in the dark days.

COYWM!!!!

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:07 pm

Interesting that the quotes on Matheson indicated his potential loan as being "with a view to come back as 1st choice next season" or words to that effect. Clearly not writing him off.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:08 pm

Iles in the BN, quoting Evatt: Evatt also maintains an interest in Blackburn Rovers front man Niall Ennis but hinted yesterday that he would make another bid for the £1m rated Collins after having an offer of around £600,000 turned down.

“I don’t really like to speak about other people’s players and at the moment Aaron is still a Bristol Rovers player,” he said.

“We made an offer last week that was rejected and we will now review our options. That is where it is at, and where it will stay.

“We want to bring one more in and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to guess which position group they are in. But after that we are more than comfortable with what we have got.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No centre half then, if I'm reading that correctly. We'll count on versatility from Ashworth and Cogley until players come back.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm

Ogbeta and Ramsay are unexpectedly good signings. Very glad that we’ve leveraged the excellent work we did with Bradley last season, and let’s hope Calvin can have even a fraction of the impact.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:28 pm

Superb signing. Caught us all out! Gethin not being injured as well…get that striker on board and be happy with that!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:48 pm

Calvin says he's trained this morning and is ready to go tomorrow!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:57 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:48 pm
Also told us why it's taken us by surprise. Whole deal happened in the last 48 hours and took him by surprise too. "Got told this morning at half seven to report to Bolton" :D

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:59 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:57 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Also told us why it's taken us by surprise. Whole deal happened in the last 48 hours and took him by surprise too. "Got told this morning at half seven to report to Bolton" :D
Almost as if Connor Bradley's MOTM for Liverpool accelerated things a little. That and perhaps Gethin's phantom injury.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:37 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:59 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
Almost as if Connor Bradley's MOTM for Liverpool accelerated things a little. That and perhaps Gethin's phantom injury.
I suspect that this may be the case. If Liverpool were on the fence about whether Bradley could do the job, then his MOTM certainly turned their heads and probably meant that Ramsay was further back in the pecking order.

Not sure whether this signing is of Bolton's doing or Liverpool's doing. Either way I think it's probably beneficial to have an extra body in defence to pick from. Thought Matheson had looked the part, if a little lightweight, so it'll be interesting to see whether that's impacted his long term prospects at the club. It'll possibly mean he'll feature a lot more for the B-team rather than being in the awkward limbo position of not selected for either due to being available for the first team.

I'm hoping Ramsay is decent at scoring. Would hate to lose that everyones scored record we've got going.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:40 pm

Mar wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:37 pm
DJBlu wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
I suspect that this may be the case. If Liverpool were on the fence about whether Bradley could do the job, then his MOTM certainly turned their heads and probably meant that Ramsay was further back in the pecking order.

Not sure whether this signing is of Bolton's doing or Liverpool's doing. Either way I think it's probably beneficial to have an extra body in defence to pick from. Thought Matheson had looked the part, if a little lightweight, so it'll be interesting to see whether that's impacted his long term prospects at the club. It'll possibly mean he'll feature a lot more for the B-team rather than being in the awkward limbo position of not selected for either due to being available for the first team.

I'm hoping Ramsay is decent at scoring. Would hate to lose that everyones scored record we've got going.
Think Iles has said Matheson probably heading for a loan somewhere.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:40 pm
Mar wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:37 pm
DJBlu wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
DJBlu wrote:

Insano is correct. Evatt has said he wants Matheson playing week in, week out which he can't do in the B's.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:53 pm

Ennis is on the bench for Blackburn’s grownups tonight. They’re at home to Wrexham in the FA Cup… and losing already.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:58 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:06 pm
Ramsey is a strange one to me, because what do you say to JDC, you've been great so far, really better than we could have hoped for but there's this Liverpool kid who's pretty good too so do you mind sitting on the bench for six months? I suppose there's lots of games for them to share but seems a bit harsh on JDC. Similar with Ogbeta too, Ashworth was excellent at Carlisle but now where does he fit in? I'm not complaining, competition for places is good for the club, I'm just not so keen on loan players replacing some of our top performers. And I feel like ST and CB are more of a priority. But here's to the new lad.
I wouldn’t worry too much mate.

If Ashworth’s Carlisle game was indicative of his improvement then we have two good wing-backs for each side. It’s a demanding position but if they’re not playing 3x90 minutes per week they can really go for it and we can sub them in the second half.

Ogbeta I reckon wants to stay here, especially iv we go up. And as Ghost notes, Ramsay could also stay here next term if we go up.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:40 pm
Evatt:

“There may be one or two loans – not from the first team core group but with Calvin coming in we may allow Luke Matheson to leave on loan to get some experience.
“We are looking to the future with Luke, we have been really impressed with him. He has exceeded our expectations. Rather than him just play in the B Team for the remainder of the season and be limited minutes in the first team, we felt if we could get him to the right club and get him some back-to-back games, it will serve him really well to push for a starting position with us next season.”

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:10 pm

Here's to hoping that Wrexham do the business tonight because if the Dingles are knocked out then Ennis MAY just push harder to get away to us on loan.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:13 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:10 pm
Here's to hoping that Wrexham do the business tonight because if the Dingles are knocked out then Ennis MAY just push harder to get away to us on loan.
….although it may give Wrexham more money and reinvigorate their interest in Collins?