foreign affair

Tell us how to make the site a better place, and we'll pretend the idea was ours all along.....

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

foreign affair

Post by General Mannerheim » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:14 pm

so have them two been banned? & has tango really f ucked off?

because as far as i can tell, none of em have posted since?

really is a load of petty pc bollocks.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:16 pm

I think, General, there is a lot of history behind this one incident. Hopefully Tango will come back and the matter forgotten. As members we are not informed of permanent or temporary bans - perhaps that is best.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:02 pm

All I'll say is that the matter has not gone unnoticed, and has not gone without repercussions.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:45 pm

Ahhh, i getcha :wink:

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:26 pm

why the secrecy

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:07 pm

Batman wrote:why the secrecy
That is how TW has always been run and I presume it is a matter decided upon by the Brains Trust who run the site. I personally would like to know if a poster is banned or suspended so I don't waste time sending PMs, etc. but I think we have to bow to the decisions of those in charge.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:54 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
That is how TW has always been run and I presume it is a matter decided upon by the Brains Trust who run the site. I personally would like to know if a poster is banned or suspended so I don't waste time sending PMs, etc. but I think we have to bow to the decisions of those in charge.
Why? Would you like everyone on here to know if you had recieved a temporay ban Monty?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:45 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Why? Would you like everyone on here to know if you had recieved a temporay ban Monty?
To be honest, SOTWA, I wouldn't mind especially if the reason was given and I had a chance to present my side of the story. However, I suspect my posts are generally too bland and boring to warrant banning so the issue doesn't really arise.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:48 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
To be honest, SOTWA, I wouldn't mind especially if the reason was given and I had a chance to present my side of the story. However, I suspect my posts are generally too bland and boring to warrant banning so the issue doesn't really arise.
I share the same views as you Monty - but we do seem to be in a very small minority on this matter.

Over the years I have been entertained / informed / amused, etc by a whole number of contributors to various forums and occasionally one or other of them - for no apparent reason - simply 'disappears'!

I know that people do not have to give any reason for stopping posting, but I sometimes wonder if they have left over issues such as - personal matters such as ill health or over something they do not like about the forum, or something they have done wrong that results in a ban.

In every case, I would like to think, that the general membership of the forum could do something positive to help them or learn from them.

For instance if someone is suffering from ill health (either personally, or a member of their family) then I would like to think that some of us who have had similar experiences in our past, could offer them support and / or advice.

Or if they do not like some issue with the board - then maybe stating their views could lead to a debate on how to amend things - if there is general agreement from other members.

In regards to a ban - then maybe notification from the mods would show others what is acceptable on the boards and what is not - and thereby show that no one is above the law.

However the truth is that very few other people actually seem to care about other posters - even those posters whose post count is well into the thousands - who simply stop posting.

On the basis of there being virtually no member interest in to the matter of the 'disappeared' - then I think we should just leave things as they are.

Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:30 pm

Fine.

Lennon

Natasha

Fanz

dan_tbm

Epitaph

trotter58

thefuturepele_rickyvazte

giannichedda

little_sammy_lee

dazbwfc

Nozza

Henrik's fan club

The Knowledge

The Bullet

bolton06

whufc

Aaron

FiNers

mgib

perbeskyk

laydeeAmz

SEXMANSS

pinismanow

stottishlad

SHY TALL KNIGHT

SAy fxxx.Com

Geordie_lad

red-army

Ratko

There you go!

Monty/Sluffy, do NOT PM any of the above.

Discuss at your bleedin pleasure!!!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:04 pm

Blimey! :shock: I didn't realize it was so large, but thank you. I will assume others we have not heard from are simply temporarily unavailable.

Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:13 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Blimey! :shock: I didn't realize it was so large, but thank you. I will assume others we have not heard from are simply temporarily unavailable.
Nope.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:36 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:Fine.

Lennon

Natasha

etc, etc,

Monty/Sluffy........

I assumed you did not bother to read all of my post before you replied???
sluffy wrote:On the basis of there being virtually no member interest in to the matter of the 'disappeared' - then I think we should just leave things as they are.
:roll:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:25 pm

sluffy wrote:

Lennon

Natasha

etc, etc,

Monty/Sluffy........

sluffy wrote:On the basis of there being virtually no member interest in to the matter of the 'disappeared' - then I think we should just leave things as they are.
Yeah, but you'd started your post by saying you were interested. Surely Sotwa's just saying that those who are, can now discuss it...?

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:11 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
sluffy wrote:

Lennon

Natasha

etc, etc,

Monty/Sluffy........

Yeah, but you'd started your post by saying you were interested. Surely Sotwa's just saying that those who are, can now discuss it...?
I may have commenced my post by stating my interest in the 'disappeared' but as you are fully aware, I went on to say that apart from maybe one or two others that no one else seemed to share this interest and that I concluded my post by supporting the way that Soldier and the other mods deal with these matters.

Imagine my surprise therefore when Soldier posted the very details that I had just stated my support to the mods for - for not posting!!!

:shock:

Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:02 am

I posted it so the matter can finally be put to rest. Personally I don't really mind to much about informing people of permanent bans, as I know members have forum relationships (no gay pun!) and should be informed if that member has been perminantly banned.

One thing we won't do though is make temporary bans public. The reasons for this are surely obvious.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:20 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:I posted it so the matter can finally be put to rest. Personally I don't really mind to much about informing people of permanent bans, as I know members have forum relationships (no gay pun!) and should be informed if that member has been perminantly banned.

One thing we won't do though is make temporary bans public. The reasons for this are surely obvious.
Obvious or not, that is your policy and I certainly accept it. In my experience the TW mods make every effort to get posters to stop whatever behaviour is upsetting them and I'm sure PMs are exchanged before even a temporary ban is instituted. It is probable the in-group clique - sorry - the members of site admin discuss these matters at length. Permanent bans on TW are therefore most likely to be quite justified. Some on the list I was sorry to see there and have no idea why they were banned. Nozza was a long time member from a foreign team and kept me uptodate on the North-East. Trotter58 led the hilarious invasion of the Marseilles fan site. I assume that at some point they were asked to modify their behaviour and either carried right on or got into a slanging match with site admin over the matter. My own theory is that no permanent ban should take place until all parties have had a chance to sober up and reflect on matters - i.e. the process should take at least 24 hours and be ratified. Perhaps this is what happens. :conf: Anyway I'm sorry for having created a fuss and hope there are no hard feelings over this matter. Pace.

Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:06 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:I posted it so the matter can finally be put to rest. Personally I don't really mind to much about informing people of permanent bans, as I know members have forum relationships (no gay pun!) and should be informed if that member has been perminantly banned.

Obvious or not, that is your policy and I certainly accept it. In my experience the TW mods make every effort to get posters to stop whatever behaviour is upsetting them and I'm sure PMs are exchanged before even a temporary ban is instituted. It is probable the in-group clique - sorry - the members of site admin discuss these matters at length. Permanent bans on TW are therefore most likely to be quite justified. Some on the list I was sorry to see there and have no idea why they were banned. Nozza was a long time member from a foreign team and kept me uptodate on the North-East. Trotter58 led the hilarious invasion of the Marseilles fan site. I assume that at some point they were asked to modify their behaviour and either carried right on or got into a slanging match with site admin over the matter. My own theory is that no permanent ban should take place until all parties have had a chance to sober up and reflect on matters - i.e. the process should take at least 24 hours and be ratified. Perhaps this is what happens. :conf: Anyway I'm sorry for having created a fuss and hope there are no hard feelings over this matter. Pace.
Pace? Is that your surname Monty? :D

No problems with anything you have said Monty. :wink:

No-one is ever permanently banned from T-W until all other efforts to get those members to adhere to the site rules have been exhausted. We also try in most cases to moderate threads and posts as quickly as possible, so other members aren't offended by the post/thread in question. Nozza for example, who seamed a nice enough fella was guilty of one of the worse possible offences, on four separate and purposeful occasions. The lad had serious issues!

You are right in thinking that members are almost always PMed about their conduct and asked to cease or rectify their actions before any action is taken, and even then a ban, be it temporary or permanent is always put to discussion before a final decision in made.

There is absolutely no glory in the position of MOD or Admin. You are hated by most and respected by few. Not to mention the fact that it's a full time job ensuring the site is kept up to date and well presented, before we even get on the boards. Some of the Admin, Mod and editors can't even find the time to enjoy the site and read the threads and post their thoughts and opinions, because there is always something to do first. The front page, end of season awards, T-W T-Shirts, fanzines, match reports, previews, set pieces, columnists, the list goes on. We have dedicated members who go out of their way and work their nads off for no praise or reward, other then to see the site running smoothly for the enjoyment of others.

Sorry, went a little of track there :oops:

Anywooo, you will have to take our word for it, that we never ban anyone without just cause.

Right, that said, I've got to put my Larrel and Hardy tash back on and grease my hair down to the side before getting back to the boards.

:D

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:41 pm

Two things, SOTWA.
1. Pace is Latin for peace - I guess Latin has fallen into disuse in the UK since the fifth century but Catholic provinces like mine still use it. When I was a schoolboy in England we used to call "Pax" (the same root) which was a verbal white flag. Pace is pronounced like Paki so is probably no longer used around your place to avoid giving offence.
2. Very few people would hate mods and most would respect the job they do. We may not always agree with the decisions and interpretations, we may argue vociferously about this, but disagreement should not be confused with dislike.

Once more, Pace.

WhiteArmy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by WhiteArmy » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:17 pm

So how about some nice juicy titbits, like what were they finally banned for and stuff.....

................................am joking!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)