Champions League shake up for next year

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Champions League shake up for next year

Post by Verbal » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:39 am

a couple of days old, but I've only just found it. There's a new qualifying system in effect from next year for the Champions League.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 737736.stm

Thoughts? Could make qualification for the 4th placed english team very tough...

Blurred? :wink:
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

blurred
Icon
Icon

Re: Champions League shake up for next year

Post by blurred » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:16 am

Verbal wrote:a couple of days old, but I've only just found it. There's a new qualifying system in effect from next year for the Champions League.

Thoughts? Could make qualification for the 4th placed english team very tough...

A couple of days? This was announced yonks ago, well before the start of the season.

And why would I be concerned with 4th place when we're top? Arsenal are the ones that should really worry, because they're going to be finishing there.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:18 am

blurred wrote:
Verbal wrote:a couple of days old, but I've only just found it. There's a new qualifying system in effect from next year for the Champions League.

A couple of days? This was announced yonks ago, well before the start of the season.

And why would I be concerned with 4th place when we're top? Arsenal are the ones that should really worry, because they're going to be finishing there.
I was joking...still, long way to go.

And I didn't know that it was announced a while back, it was updated on Monday and I'd only just seen it today. Hey ho.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:43 pm

Verbal wrote:I was joking...still, long way to go.

And I didn't know that it was announced a while back, it was updated on Monday and I'd only just seen it today. Hey ho.
Well they tend not to announce changes to competition rules halfway through a season, y'know :D

It doesn't overly bother me either way - it's still only one game for the side that finishes 4th in the Prem, and while it is against 'better' opposition, if you can't win the qualifier you don't deserve to be in the competition. I'd still imagine the teams qualifying through the new process to be largely the same as through the old one, and that the Spanish, Italian and English 4th placed sides will still get through to the group stages just about all the time.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:30 pm

blurred wrote:

Well they tend not to announce changes to competition rules halfway through a season, y'know :D

It doesn't overly bother me either way - it's still only one game for the side that finishes 4th in the Prem, and while it is against 'better' opposition, if you can't win the qualifier you don't deserve to be in the competition. I'd still imagine the teams qualifying through the new process to be largely the same as through the old one, and that the Spanish, Italian and English 4th placed sides will still get through to the group stages just about all the time.
Haha, I guess I should've figured, must have passed me by. Having said that, I guess european club football hasn't been such a hot topic on TW as much as last season :)

Be interesting if two of the spanish, italian and english 4th placers faced each other though...or is a seeding system still in place?

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:33 pm

blurred wrote:

if you can't win the qualifier you don't deserve to be in the competition

In my opinion if you don't win your domestic championship you don't deserve to be in the competition.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

enfieldwhite wrote: In my opinion if you don't win your domestic championship you don't deserve to be in the competition.
Egsackerlee!
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:40 pm

corrupt nonsense designed to fill the coffers of the G14 or whatever the cartel call themselves these days
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house