Who say's football is for the fans?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Who say's football is for the fans?

Post by Verbal » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:05 pm

"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:26 pm

...they don’t get a vote because they don’t get a vote when they go to Tesco’s on how the store is run. Why should it be any different with football?
Because the money spent at the gates goes back into the club? Do Tesco magic their profits out of thin air? No-one spends, the business doesn't develop.

By all accounts this cretin near-on wrecked York City and was eventually ousted by, oddly enough, the fans, who bought out the club from him in 2003. So no bitterness then!

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:29 pm

Silly bastard. John Batchelor I mean, not Ratbert.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:35 pm

I sincerely hope this venture utterly ruins him, then ala Woolworths he has to sell the club back to the fans for a quid. The word cretinous doesn't even begin to do the man justice.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:23 pm

Fcuk me! I thought that was a joke at first... and a very witty one at that... then it hit me that it was a real interview with a cnut!
I write words for a living. I play records for a living. Both of these thing should tell you that I'm a failed musician.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:31 pm

penis
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:53 pm

ratbert wrote:
...they don’t get a vote because they don’t get a vote when they go to Tesco’s on how the store is run. Why should it be any different with football?
Because the money spent at the gates goes back into the club? Do Tesco magic their profits out of thin air? No-one spends, the business doesn't develop.
But that's his point - Tesco takes money off people, but doesn't give them a say in planning the business. Why should football be any different?

I've seen lots of abuse of him on this thread, but nothing saying why he's wrong. Surely, he can just do what he wants (should he buy the club), and people will come anyway. Or not - but, apparently, he doesn't need fans, anyway.

Personally, I think he's right. Who cares what the fans think - they're just sheep, who'll turn up whatever. The real money's elsewhere.

I'm particularly enamoured with his idea to change the club's name to Fulchester Rovers, and sign a half-man, half fish goalkeeper. Or something like that. Why doesn't Gartside think up these things? Although his two-tier, no relegation premier league wasn't a bad attempt.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:01 am

Gerald Ratner.

Moral of the tale; If you're an arrogant sh*tbag, be careful how many people you tell.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:01 am

The word "cockend" springs to mind when reading that.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:29 am

Puskas wrote:
ratbert wrote:
But that's his point - Tesco takes money off people, but doesn't give them a say in planning the business. Why should football be any different?

I've seen lots of abuse of him on this thread, but nothing saying why he's wrong. Surely, he can just do what he wants (should he buy the club), and people will come anyway. Or not - but, apparently, he doesn't need fans, anyway.

Personally, I think he's right. Who cares what the fans think - they're just sheep, who'll turn up whatever. The real money's elsewhere.
I concur. I'm not saying it wouldn't piss me off if I were a Chester fan, but if football is a business (which it is) then rules of business must apply to it, and that includes rebranding, and maximising revenue streams. He's being honest, at least, with what he's doing.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:36 am

blurred wrote:
Puskas wrote:
ratbert wrote:

I concur. I'm not saying it wouldn't piss me off if I were a Chester fan, but if football is a business (which it is) then rules of business must apply to it, and that includes rebranding, and maximising revenue streams. He's being honest, at least, with what he's doing.
For Liverpool fans it's a shame Liverpool are so useless at it, considering they have been one of the most supported clubs in the world for the past 30 yrs or so. They should be generating a lot more revenue than they actually do.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:44 am

seanworth wrote:
blurred wrote:
Puskas wrote:
ratbert wrote:

For Liverpool fans it's a shame Liverpool are so useless at it, considering they have been one of the most supported clubs in the world for the past 30 yrs or so. They should be generating a lot more revenue than they actually do.
Seems to me like they do milk quite a lot of money off the Liverpool fans. Pretty much everyone here walks round in replica clothing - be it coats, hats, shirts, trackies, shorts or whatever. Plus tickets at Anfield are expensive and they sell out most of the time.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:27 am

jimbo wrote:
seanworth wrote:
blurred wrote:
Puskas wrote:
ratbert wrote: Because the money spent at the gates goes back into the club? Do Tesco magic their profits out of thin air? No-one spends, the business doesn't develop.

Seems to me like they do milk quite a lot of money off the Liverpool fans. Pretty much everyone here walks round in replica clothing - be it coats, hats, shirts, trackies, shorts or whatever. Plus tickets at Anfield are expensive and they sell out most of the time.
Talking more about overseas, which brings in huge revenue. Man U's overseas marketing is vastly better than Liverpools. Even Liverpool fans here are disgusted at the wasted opportunities. When I first came here (Thailand) in the 80's Liverpool was by far the most supported team, followed by Juventus and Real Madrid distant second and third. Certainly Liverpool's lack of success has contributed to this, but they should actually be performing (marketing wise) much better than they are. I believe Hick's even addressed this a few months ago. I don't think can all be blamed on Rafa being a prick.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:38 am

But the bottom line is, the fans pay their money, and expect value for money or a statement of intent from those that run the club to that end.

Not to be told they're scum, which is what Batchelor is basically saying.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:19 pm

ratbert wrote:But the bottom line is, the fans pay their money, and expect value for money or a statement of intent from those that run the club to that end.

Not to be told they're scum, which is what Batchelor is basically saying.
They may well expect that. But what are they going to do about it?

Nothing, I suspect.

And he gets away with it, and makes his money.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:31 pm

He may be a cockend but he may just've hit upon a fantastic marketing idea that makes him millions. And if he does you can bet your life that other clubs will copy his formula. Who knows?
Businesswoman of the year.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:46 pm

Yeah - lets move to the American Football model - where a team that was once called Chester, the next season is called "Penzance Raiders", because this year's franchise owner lives at Land's End...

If the model makes him millions in the manner that he's proposing, then it's ceased to be anything to do with football in my opinion. What happens when he wants to extend half time by 30 mins so his "in stadium" sales reps can try flogging the latest Amway products to the non-football supporting people that may have turned up to watch?

Thin End - Thick Wedge - Big Knob. Shouldn't be allowed to own a football club IMHO.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:49 pm

I'd be really interested to know where these income streams are going to come from. Has anyone seen other owners of other League 2 clubs coining it in?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:12 pm

What an incredibly dull world we live in that the only value something has is its ability to make money.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Yeah - lets move to the American Football model - where a team that was once called Chester, the next season is called "Penzance Raiders", because this year's franchise owner lives at Land's End...
:conf: What are you referring to, Worthy?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.