Amnesty?

Tell us how to make the site a better place, and we'll pretend the idea was ours all along.....

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:54 pm

jaffka wrote:If life does mean life on here, then I wish that the mods could become judges :wink:
(Thinking of Soldier) The military in charge of the judiciary? Doesn't usually work out brilliantly... :mrgreen:

I'd hate to be a mod. Tidying up other people's cack for no wage, no thanks and only abuse. I'm trying to hire some for me at work, for FourFourTwo.com, and it's a bloody difficult thing to get right. It strikes me that none of the mods on this site are trigger-happy ego-boosters, and none of them want to make the site a silent library. They want lively debate but seem to balance the needs of the many against the peccadilloes of the few, and there seems to be a robust warning structure in place - to get censured, you have to be as determined and blinkered as Eboue yesterday. Yes, sometimes I miss some of the posters who have gone, but on the whole I'm not sure it wasn't the wrong decision and I wouldn't have the temerity to question the decisions which are reached with far more consideration than many seem to think.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
jaffka wrote:If life does mean life on here, then I wish that the mods could become judges :wink:
(Thinking of Soldier) The military in charge of the judiciary? Doesn't usually work out brilliantly... :mrgreen:

I'd hate to be a mod. Tidying up other people's cack for no wage, no thanks and only abuse. I'm trying to hire some for me at work, for FourFourTwo.com, and it's a bloody difficult thing to get right. It strikes me that none of the mods on this site are trigger-happy ego-boosters, and none of them want to make the site a silent library. They want lively debate but seem to balance the needs of the many against the peccadilloes of the few, and there seems to be a robust warning structure in place - to get censured, you have to be as determined and blinkered as Eboue yesterday. Yes, sometimes I miss some of the posters who have gone, but on the whole I'm not sure it wasn't the wrong decision and I wouldn't have the temerity to question the decisions which are reached with far more consideration than many seem to think.
Do you get paid?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:33 pm

jaffka wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:

Do you get paid?
Mods? Nah. Bloggers? Nah. So, same as here, then...

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:41 am

I don't care about whether some of those banned are part of the 'community' or not. They put a lot of good posters off the site and the nastiness that came from their trolling made TW on occasion a very uncomfortable place to be.

Those banned were banned for good reasons. Let's keep things as they are.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:45 am

Indeed. I was one of 'em.

I may have said this earlier (sorry for repeating myself if so), but I know how sh!tty the mod job is, so I'm not trying to create more work for anyone... and nor do I want this to turn into some argument. Merely, I was just testing the water to see what everyone's thoughts were.
I write words for a living. I play records for a living. Both of these thing should tell you that I'm a failed musician.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:04 am

The "Mod-job" (take it from one who knows) is currently a much easier one than it has been for some time in the past. The Wigan thing was a one off and we only rarely get errant WUMS from other sites who are swiftly shown the door. Constructive argument is good and this isn't an infant school. We expect quite vociferous disagreement at time, even take part in it. Without opposing views there would be no need for these sites. What the mods and admin aimed to do ( and still do) was make the site a place that no one would avoid because of personal abuse and keyboard-warrior bullying. We have done that. The rest isn't something any one of us can decide alone, it isn't even just mods but includes admin and site owner on all major decisions.

As has been discussed it's a total team thing and whatever is decided, the site always comes first.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:04 pm

mofgimmers wrote:Indeed. I was one of 'em.

I may have said this earlier (sorry for repeating myself if so), but I know how sh!tty the mod job is, so I'm not trying to create more work for anyone... and nor do I want this to turn into some argument. Merely, I was just testing the water to see what everyone's thoughts were.
I don't get it, mof. You left the site for some months because certain people made the site less pleasant. You came back after they were banned because the site is more enjoyable. Now you float a trial balloon to see if people want to recreate the conditions that caused you to leave. I'm confused. :conf:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:05 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

I don't get it, mof. You left the site for some months because certain people made the site less pleasant. You came back after they were banned because the site is more enjoyable. Now you float a trial balloon to see if people want to recreate the conditions that caused you to leave. I'm confused. :conf:
don't be confused, we're Bolton fans, making us sadists surely!

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:45 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Pretty simple really Monty. I 'left' for a bit because I couldn't be arsed with Batty's two/three word posts, dismissing everything said by anyone not him (that's how it looked to me at the time). The site ended up looking farcical and became irritating when trying to kickstart some decent debate or whatever. That said, there's a chance that Batty (I'm only using him as an example because I'm talking about my own person experience) may not be the same person (or at least, online entity) that he was at the time of banning.

I know that, once upon a time, Batman was a good and funny bloke to have on the site and somewhere along the line, it went wrong. Maybe he wouldn't be such a wind-up if given the chance to come back? As for other banned members... that's for you to debate.
I write words for a living. I play records for a living. Both of these thing should tell you that I'm a failed musician.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:00 pm

mofgimmers wrote:[As for other banned members... that's for you to debate.
No, it isn't.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:00 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
No, it isn't.
Is it not? Surely it is for folk to debate whether or not it would be good to have certain folk back. Doesnt mean that debate should or would have any affect on any actual decisions?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:48 am

Prufrock wrote:
No, it isn't.
Is it not? Surely it is for folk to debate whether or not it would be good to have certain folk back. Doesnt mean that debate should or would have any affect on any actual decisions?
That's probably what I should have said. I just wanted to make mofgimmers all nostalgic with a three word answer!

My point is that we have an agreed modding and disciplinary policy now, which is up in the forum for all to see. We do not debate individual cases in open forums prior to taking any (rare!) disciplinary action. We have never done so. The day that modding or disciplinary actions are decided by an "all-member" debate will be the day that effective modding disappears from this site. I don't think any of the members would enjoy the atmosphere subsequently.

So, the best that this thread can offer is a barometer of members feelings. Reading it only confirms my view that you will not please everybody all the time. Opinions differ widely here. Disciplinary decisions will still be made by mods and administrators. Some will be happy with the decisions, others won't.

I couldn't condense that into three words, which is a pity. :)
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:29 am

Prufrock wrote:
No, it isn't.
That's probably what I should have said. I just wanted to make mofgimmers all nostalgic with a three word answer!

My point is that we have an agreed modding and disciplinary policy now, which is up in the forum for all to see. We do not debate individual cases in open forums prior to taking any (rare!) disciplinary action. We have never done so. The day that modding or disciplinary actions are decided by an "all-member" debate will be the day that effective modding disappears from this site. I don't think any of the members would enjoy the atmosphere subsequently.

So, the best that this thread can offer is a barometer of members feelings. Reading it only confirms my view that you will not please everybody all the time. Opinions differ widely here. Disciplinary decisions will still be made by mods and administrators. Some will be happy with the decisions, others won't.

I couldn't condense that into three words, which is a pity. :)
"As you were" :wink:

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:56 pm

oh yeah, commie - what happened to him?

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:10 pm

TW's Berlin Wall came down and took him with it

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:21 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:oh yeah, commie - what happened to him?
http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/vi ... 630#426630
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:23 pm

Is this the amnesty or amnesia thread? I'm getting confused...
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:31 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Is this the amnesty or amnesia thread? I'm getting confused...
Yes, let's start a hum-dinger of a Megson thread. :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:34 pm

Megson is my favourite ever Wanderers manager.....

Remind me, who am I again?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:52 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Megson is my favourite ever Wanderers manager.....

Remind me, who am I again?
Tango?? :mrgreen: