What are you eating and drinking tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

What are you eating and drinking tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:53 pm

With credits to LK, this is now the official thread to discuss the gastronomic delights, fine tipple and venues to partakeof both.
Or maybe you're just staying homeand sticking the frying pan on while you chug a beer. Let's hear about it. Go...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:56 pm

OK, to celebrate the arrival of this new sticky, I'm going to open my bottle of Linkwood single malt. I may regret it later.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:12 pm

Little Green Man wrote:OK, to celebrate the arrival of this new sticky, I'm going to open my bottle of Linkwood single malt. I may regret it later.
I've got an Aberlour that's still unopened since Christmas. What do you think? :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Little Green Man wrote:OK, to celebrate the arrival of this new sticky, I'm going to open my bottle of Linkwood single malt. I may regret it later.
I've got an Aberlour that's still unopened since Christmas. What do you think? :?
I reckon you should open it. It's March on Sunday for gawd's sake.

The Linkwood is very good - definitely one for Doublewood/Bunnahabhain fans.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:24 pm

Oh it's perfect. Absolutely perfect. Chin-chin.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:24 pm

Feckin good start... two malts I've never tried, and one - linkwood - i've never heard of... Hey, going on the birthday list...

OK - to throw out a challenge - you have a fine steak (or deeply tomato dish if veggie) - for me, medium rare, hint of garlic - patina of fried onions, two or three well crisped potatoes, mangetouts, and, for surprise, brussels sprouts...

What's the perfect red wine?

For me - Hermitage...

Go! :D

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:27 pm

William the White wrote:Feckin good start... two malts I've never tried, and one - linkwood - i've never heard of... Hey, going on the birthday list...

OK - to throw out a challenge - you have a fine steak (or deeply tomato dish if veggie) - for me, medium rare, hint of garlic - patina of fried onions, two or three well crisped potatoes, mangetouts, and, for surprise, brussels sprouts...

For me - Hermitage...

Steak cooked medium rare, drizzled with olive oil and rosemary, with a nice salad. Heaven.

My favourite dish though is lobbing in some prawns, garlic, olive oil, basil, onion and cherry tomatoes into a pan and tossing it with some spaghetti! Perfect and cheap!

As for wine? How about Lambrini?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:32 pm

Supermarket ready meal curry

Bear with me

Bradfords finest curry house, Mumtaz, have started supplying reasonably priced curries to the co-op. Gave them a whirl tonight, impressed.

Anyone seen them on the right side of the peninnes?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:41 pm

William the White wrote:Feckin good start... two malts I've never tried, and one - linkwood - i've never heard of... Hey, going on the birthday list...

For me - Hermitage...

For me, and this goes back to my 'unto each, their own' post from earlier: I'd say something with great flavour but that doesn't overpower anything on the plate (which sounds absolutely perfect and completely delicious) I'd suggest our Chilean friend from earlier, I really would!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:46 pm

Got a feeling a few will be coming back here shortly talking about summer diets and all that. :mrgreen:

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:48 pm

William the White wrote: OK - to throw out a challenge - you have a fine steak (or deeply tomato dish if veggie) - for me, medium rare, hint of garlic - patina of fried onions, two or three well crisped potatoes, mangetouts, and, for surprise, brussels sprouts...
If someone else was buying and I was cooking, a Rosso di Montalcino - and I'd bin the sprouts. Failing that I'd nip to Majestic and bag a couple of Gestos Malbec at £5.49 each (even though they seem to be dragging their heels opening the Leith branch).

http://www.majestic.co.uk/find/Grape+Va ... t-is-40060

And I'd keep the Hermitage for a minted lamb casserole.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:49 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

For me - Hermitage...

For me, and this goes back to my 'unto each, their own' post from earlier: I'd say something with great flavour but that doesn't overpower anything on the plate (which sounds absolutely perfect and completely delicious) I'd suggest our Chilean friend from earlier, I really would!
Yep :D

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:12 am

I've tried so hard but I can't eat and drink at the same time.

Tonight I am imbibing a Canti Pinot Grigio. Fruity, dry and easy.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:24 am

For me - Hermitage...

Steak to be done medium rare, with garlic and parsley, accompanied by asparagus that have been fried in butter for two minutes after having been steamed, some chunky chips and a drizzle of peppercorn sauce.

Wine must be McClaren Vale Maglieri Shiraz.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:04 am

Given that we're now on a Saturday morning - could I put forwards for you gastanomic delectation.

The "Full English Breakfast" - a selection from:

Bacon - out of preference smoked for me, could be gammon on a road trip
Sausages - in descending order, beef and tomato if possible, beef if not pork as back up. Cumberland and Lincolnshire are dinner tackle for me.
Eggs - Fried at you discretion (not for me, I have some bizarre allergy)
Mushrooms - and not just "one large one"
Beans - maybe with little pork sausages in 'em
Black Pudding - a couple of small slices of the butchers finest
White Pudding - when available - Irish stock only
Potato Cake - as a maybe, if it's got to last you all day
Fried Bread - under current health guidelines, probably once a lifetime, if it's your last meal before facing the Electric Chair

HP Sauce.

And from the bar - Guinness on yer cornflakes or bucks fizz if in race-trip mode, but more generally English Breakfast tea in a very large mug.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:51 pm

A slightly more refined Full English than yours Worthy:

Fried bacon (smoked difinitely), two fried eggs sunny-side-up, a couple of pork and beef sausages, fried mushrooms, a nice bit of liver and a large slice of egg-bread. Bit of toast and marmalade to finish and a large mug of tea. Lovely. :D

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:30 pm

i have just had some microchips

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:30 pm

Hmmm never contemplated liver as a breakfast food :-) But hell, why not?

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Hmmm never contemplated liver as a breakfast food :-) But hell, why not?
never contemplated liver as food! eeew.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:11 pm

good hearty sausage casserole for me tonight, and a big dollop of fluffy mash!

bread, butter & pint of icy orange cordial.