42 Million

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Sir Nut
Hopeful
Hopeful

42 Million

Post by Sir Nut » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:56 am

There was an article in the sun last week stating how much has been spent on each squad and if i can remember rightly we are 17th with the only teams that have spent less being Blackburn, Blackpool and West Brom (the entire squad). So everyone moaning about how much money we have spent should take a look at the facts. Also having players like Muamba, Cahill and Lee means we wont have to spend anything on these positions for a good 10 years. 42 million is cheap as hell and the squad we have now just after 2 seasons is worth way more than that and it will only increase!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:00 pm

Hmm, that is obviously a brilliant sum, made even more so by the fact we've spent the square root of f*ck all of that in the last 9 months. Perhaps if we'd carried on at the previous rate, it wouldn't look quite so good now,would it, Gary?

Hows the job hunting going,by the way?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: 42 Million

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:40 pm

Sir Nut wrote:There was an article in the sun last week stating how much has been spent on each squad and if i can remember rightly we are 17th with the only teams that have spent less being Blackburn, Blackpool and West Brom (the entire squad). So everyone moaning about how much money we have spent should take a look at the facts. Also having players like Muamba, Cahill and Lee means we wont have to spend anything on these positions for a good 10 years. 42 million is cheap as hell and the squad we have now just after 2 seasons is worth way more than that and it will only increase!
Right, fine, great, he spent money on Cahill, Lee and Muamba that (if we choose to sell) we'll be making a huge profit on. Brilliant. But then he spent £2M on Shittu, and pissed astronomical wages up the wall for a back up who never played. And he pissed wages for Riga up the wall. And spent £2M on a backup defender in Sam Ricketts. And blasted £8.2M away on Elmander, a player who despite this season's improved performances, still isnt worth that. It's all well and good that he signed Cahill and his ilk, but when you throw money at as many players as you can, you're bound to get a couple right on the simple law of averages.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:53 pm

There was an article in The Times last week which showed that we are currently top of the league in terms of value for money. I would link to it, but you know, Murdoch etc.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:29 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sir Nut wrote:There was an article in the sun last week stating how much has been spent on each squad and if i can remember rightly we are 17th with the only teams that have spent less being Blackburn, Blackpool and West Brom (the entire squad). So everyone moaning about how much money we have spent should take a look at the facts. Also having players like Muamba, Cahill and Lee means we wont have to spend anything on these positions for a good 10 years. 42 million is cheap as hell and the squad we have now just after 2 seasons is worth way more than that and it will only increase!
Right, fine, great, he spent money on Cahill, Lee and Muamba that (if we choose to sell) we'll be making a huge profit on. Brilliant. But then he spent £2M on Shittu, and pissed astronomical wages up the wall for a back up who never played. And he pissed wages for Riga up the wall. And spent £2M on a backup defender in Sam Ricketts. And blasted £8.2M away on Elmander, a player who despite this season's improved performances, still isnt worth that. It's all well and good that he signed Cahill and his ilk, but when you throw money at as many players as you can, you're bound to get a couple right on the simple law of averages.
So Allardyce was shit too then? Okocha and Djorkaeff being luck based on the law of averages to cancel out Ibrahim Ba, Oscar Perez, Djibril Diawara, Ndiwa Lord Kangana, Chris Armstrong, David Holdsworth and Mario Jardel?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:42 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:
So Allardyce was shit too then? Okocha and Djorkaeff being luck based on the law of averages to cancel out Ibrahim Ba, Oscar Perez, Djibril Diawara, Ndiwa Lord Kangana, Chris Armstrong, David Holdsworth and Mario Jardel?
That's not what I said. Allardyce was a brilliant man manager and tactician, as shown by the league finishes we achieved. The players you mention cost us nothing in terms of transfer fees, and of the ones that failed, very little in terms of wages (individually, of course). Therein lies the difference. Allardyce can be forgiven the numerous misses in his transfers because they cost the best part of feck all and because of his managerial success rate. Megson cannot claim the same.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gaz Tomorrow
Promising
Promising

Post by Gaz Tomorrow » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:01 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:
Who is a good player and worth much more than Shittu who cost the same. Imho he does a pretty good job and was good when Cahill was injured last season.

pete101
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by pete101 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:38 pm

Bit harsh mentioning Ricketts in the same category as Riga and Shittu. A backup defender he may be, but he can play any position across the back 4 and on recent showings I'd have him in for Steinsson.

Gaz Tomorrow
Promising
Promising

Post by Gaz Tomorrow » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:00 pm

pete101 wrote:Bit harsh mentioning Ricketts in the same category as Riga and Shittu. A backup defender he may be, but he can play any position across the back 4 and on recent showings I'd have him in for Steinsson.
Definitely agree that he is a valuable asset as he is very versatile but i don't think i'd have him over Steinsson

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:10 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:
That's not what I said. Allardyce was a brilliant man manager and tactician, as shown by the league finishes we achieved. The players you mention cost us nothing in terms of transfer fees, and of the ones that failed, very little in terms of wages (individually, of course). Therein lies the difference. Allardyce can be forgiven the numerous misses in his transfers because they cost the best part of feck all and because of his managerial success rate. Megson cannot claim the same.
No, that's pretty much exactly what you said. If you spend enough money on enough players, some will come good due to the law of averages. Also known as simple dumb luck.

That may be the case, but it's the same for every manager in the history of the game.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:35 pm

It's not just a case of signing good players and hoping they will play well for you. Mr Megson managed to make Knight, Muamba and Elmander look like Sunday League footballers.

I takes some doing to break the confidence of good footballers but Megson managed it.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:58 pm

Gaz Tomorrow wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:
Who is a good player and worth much more than Shittu who cost the same. Imho he does a pretty good job and was good when Cahill was injured last season.
Who's this guy Who?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:05 pm

fatshaft wrote:
Gaz Tomorrow wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:
Who's this guy Who?
must be Jardel as he was the last one mentioned... :wink:

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:11 pm

I thought the bold text was a giveaway

re Muamba - he was very good under Megson...he's improved under Coyle, but I'd expect that of a young kid

Conversely, it could be argued Cahill has gone backwards

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:41 pm

Who exactly is moaning about the money we have spent? Meggo bought ok. He managed his squad poorly. Has this not been said before?

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:54 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:I thought the bold text was a giveaway

re Muamba - he was very good under Megson...he's improved under Coyle, but I'd expect that of a young kid

Really? I think his life threatening injury had a little bit to play in him seemingly going backwards. I would say this season though two out three girls conceded have been from Steiner going missing or Knight rather than directly down to Chaill. Just my opinion like, not meaning to pick a fight or owt Caps. :D
Pfffft.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:02 pm

TKIZ! wrote:

Really? I think his life threatening injury had a little bit to play in him seemingly going backwards. I would say this season though two out three girls conceded have been from Steiner going missing or Knight rather than directly down to Chaill. Just my opinion like, not meaning to pick a fight or owt Caps. :D
girls???? :shock:

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:11 pm

TKIZ! wrote:Really? I think his life threatening injury had a little bit to play in him seemingly going backwards. I would say this season though two out three girls conceded have been from Steiner going missing or Knight rather than directly down to Chaill. Just my opinion like, not meaning to pick a fight or owt Caps. :D
But consensus is that Coyle gets more out of his players than Megson did

I read all the time how Knight has improved

Yet plenty reckon Cahills not playing so well, and he really should be over his illness

Can't have it all ways...though some will want to try

Gaz Tomorrow
Promising
Promising

Post by Gaz Tomorrow » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:14 pm

Thank you Caps! Bold was a giveaway