Enter the Piedome. Two men enter, one man leaves.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:56 pm

Few comments albeit a little tardy.

During the first 25 minutes or so I thought we were going to hammer them but we appeared to suffer a bout of Arsenalitis and pass well around the box without anyone remembering to actually shoot. The game plan of pressing hard up front and getting back to cover then seemed to go out of the window, at least, the getting back to cover bit - leaving us wide open in midfield and vunerable to the counter.

Fortunately, Jussi and some shite finishing left us in the game until a double offside goal. Elmo, the away goal maestro came to the good, but for me, did little else. I suspect he may have recently bought Nobby's old house and found the secret pie stash. Hopefully he finished them off and will back in good form on Sunday.

Not our greatest performance but I'll take a point when playing badly. So different to recent seasons.

We are probably where we should be in the table and with 12 points from 9 games, a simple playground mathematical extrapolation suggests 50+ points. I'll take that.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:05 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:Few comments albeit a little tardy.

During the first 25 minutes or so I thought we were going to hammer them but we appeared to suffer a bout of Arsenalitis and pass well around the box without anyone remembering to actually shoot. The game plan of pressing hard up front and getting back to cover then seemed to go out of the window, at least, the getting back to cover bit - leaving us wide open in midfield and vunerable to the counter.

Fortunately, Jussi and some shite finishing left us in the game until a double offside goal. Elmo, the away goal maestro came to the good, but for me, did little else. I suspect he may have recently bought Nobby's old house and found the secret pie stash. Hopefully he finished them off and will back in good form on Sunday.

Not our greatest performance but I'll take a point when playing badly. So different to recent seasons.

We are probably where we should be in the table and with 12 points from 9 games, a simple playground mathematical extrapolation suggests 50+ points. I'll take that.
Despite all the hard won points- we are still only 3 points above the relegation places.

An extrapolation based on the teams we have played would suggest nearer 44 points.

But I would still happily take that.
What goes around may still come around

CarlosHernandez
Promising
Promising

Post by CarlosHernandez » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:18 pm

We've had a bit of luck go our way so far this season, that surely won't continue and we may have a run of a few where we don't collect any points. My thinking is we'll balance that up by having a couple of good runs where we put some wins together on the trot, and should finish the season safely. :)

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:20 pm

bw@bw wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:We are probably where we should be in the table and with 12 points from 9 games, a simple playground mathematical extrapolation suggests 50+ points. I'll take that.
Despite all the hard won points- we are still only 3 points above the relegation places.

An extrapolation based on the teams we have played would suggest nearer 44 points.

Point taken, though I still fancy the run in to the new year to yield quite a few points.

Anyway, having recently purchased a brand new set of rose tinters from Tangosoptimisticopticalsupplies.com I am allowing myself the luxury of looking up, not down, for the time being at least :D

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:25 am

bw@bw wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:We are probably where we should be in the table and with 12 points from 9 games, a simple playground mathematical extrapolation suggests 50+ points. I'll take that.

My pre-season prediction after 9 games was 11pts so we are 1 pt up at present. My full season prediction was 42 points and I have seen nothing yet to change that. Only two wins is my main concern and when the luck does change all those drawing performances will soon become losing ones.

Pre season I predicted for the next four games Liverpool (H) L, Spurs (H) D, Everton (A) L, Wolves (A) D, and based on what I have seen in recent games those are still very realistic predictions and likely results. If we can get more than 2 points from those four games I will then feel a lot more confident that we can stay out of the relegation fight.

No Tangorosetinters for me yet I'm afraid, but then what did you expect from me. :shock:
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:16 am

The luck might change and they become victories. Not a single one of our draws has been lucky yet.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:46 am

Lord Kangana wrote:The luck might change and they become victories. Not a single one of our draws has been lucky yet.
I thought we were lucky to get a draw on Sunday. 2 shots on target, and under the cosh for much of the game.

Still - we scored a legitimate goal, and theirs was offside, so I can see why you might disagree.
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:22 am

On the flip side we were the better team at Villa Park, and on a different day we would have won against West Brom. The 2-2 with Birmingham was all about grit and determination, and a bit of magic from Robbie Blake. Saturday was a balanced game, some periods in the ascendancy for them, some for us.

In short, if the luck had really been with us yet, we'd be about 4 points better off.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:47 am

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:29 pm

Good read that POS.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:30 pm

Our drop in intensity following our equaliser was disappointing. Atmosphere was pretty dire too. It really isn't a football stadium, that. Shithole.

Word is as well that Alcaraz and Caldwell carried the fisticuffs into the dressing room afterwards.....nawty.

Oh and Steinsson.....dear God, he's such a liability. I was hoping that when he chucked his shirt into the crowd at the end that someone would throw it back at him. He's one of the poorest right-backs we've had in ten years. Time for Ricketts methinks. Holden however, I am extremely impressed with. Good lad. Fabrice's worst game for us in a year, too.

Randy Watson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Randy Watson » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:57 pm

I like Steino, he puts in 100% and is passionate about winning but he lets us down at times. Too often the winger gets in behind him and he has no clue he's there. I wouldn't mind seeing Ricketts get a chance although i prefer him at centre half.

Holden is class! I don’t think Fabrice deserves all the flack he is getting, he’s still young and has improvements to make but all in all i think he is decent, defo needs to have some shooting practice.

Never really saw what all the fuss was about with CYL, he's alright but not all that. To me he seems shit scared to take on the man and ducks out of 50-50's. If he take a bit of a knock that’s him for the game IMO.

As for Petrov, Coyle said at the fans forum he believes he is the best bosman signing in the window yet he has not shown us that with performances. He hasn't finished a full 90 mins yet either. There’s no doubt he showed great class at city and i suppose if we are patient he will pull it out of his locker. IMO he runs and runs and runs and doesn't get any ware, maybe if he took his time a little more and picked the correct way forward without just sticking his head down and legging it he might crack on and set up some more or even bang in a few himself. Must be frustrating knackering himself out, doing nowt and being subbed off every game.
Give a hand to my band… Sexual Chocolate

They play so fine don't you agree!

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:12 pm

ratbert wrote:http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/A_ ... _Curse-926

POS posts on the performance.
A very good report, different but interesting none the less, well done but please stay away fom anymore away games. :wink:
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:24 pm

FaninOz wrote:
ratbert wrote:http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/A_ ... _Curse-926

POS posts on the performance.
A very good report, different but interesting none the less, well done but please stay away fom anymore away games. :wink:
I'm the same. Gonna try and get to a game next month, hopefully we have some more points in the bag by then incase it goes wrong. :twisted:

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:34 pm

bw@bw wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:Few comments albeit a little tardy.

Always makes me laugh that. Man Utd are only five points off! Unless everyone below us plays everyone above us and wins (which can't happen anyway) I wouldn't worry about it. Even if we didn't play for three weeks we'd still most probably be above the bottom three.

We are nearer Europe then we are the Championship.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:16 pm

Ricketts has been shite at RB the last few times he has played there, and never looked better than Steinsson there. Centre half is a different question, and I'd still like to see Ricketts-Cahill at some point. That said, Steinsson, whilst not being anywhere near as shit as some make out has had a bad couple, so maybe Ricketts in. Use the squad. Equally Taylor has a very good case for starting ahead of Petrov. Unless we are deciding one volley makes Rodrigo better than him, which wouldn't actually surprise me.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:06 pm

Been away all weekend and only seen the goals but Steiner hasn't been playing well this season, and went through something similar last season. We have a squad for a reason and its time Owen used it, and dropped a couple of under performers. Taylor is due a run out instead of Petrov as well - its crap being a bench player with no hope of making a starting XI. Also sounds like there will be a clamour for Rodrigo sooner rather than later...not sure where that leaves the Klas?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:36 am

Prufrock wrote:Ricketts has been shite at RB the last few times he has played there, and never looked better than Steinsson there. Centre half is a different question, and I'd still like to see Ricketts-Cahill at some point. That said, Steinsson, whilst not being anywhere near as shit as some make out has had a bad couple, so maybe Ricketts in. Use the squad. Equally Taylor has a very good case for starting ahead of Petrov. Unless we are deciding one volley makes Rodrigo better than him, which wouldn't actually surprise me.
Bad couple? That's very generous. I'd argue that he hasn't had a particularly good game in over a year

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:36 am

officer_dibble wrote:Been away all weekend and only seen the goals but Steiner hasn't been playing well this season, and went through something similar last season. We have a squad for a reason and its time Owen used it, and dropped a couple of under performers. Taylor is due a run out instead of Petrov as well - its crap being a bench player with no hope of making a starting XI. Also sounds like there will be a clamour for Rodrigo sooner rather than later...not sure where that leaves the Klas?
No.

Just no.

Owen_Coyle
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Owen_Coyle » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:23 am

Wandering Willy wrote: During the first 25 minutes or so I thought we were going to hammer them but we appeared to suffer a bout of Arsenalitis and pass well around the box without anyone remembering to actually shoot. The game plan of pressing hard up front and getting back to cover then seemed to go out of the window, at least, the getting back to cover bit - leaving us wide open in midfield and vunerable to the counter.

Just about how I saw it Willy; we promised quite a bit with our good possession, esp early on as you say, but didn't really carve too much out, and we were fortunate to get a point in the end.

Just a personal view of CYL. I thought on Saturday he did what he has done throughout the whole time he has been with us, ie. he played well in the first half (very quick thinking, very good work rate and helping Steinsson out, and good at getting in your face and nicking the ball off the opposition) but then disappears and is largely ineffective for the 2nd half and late into the game. I'm sure thats not lost on OC as he rarely finishes a game without being subbed.

I agree with most that he hasnt started off this season as good as he did last, and he just doesn't have the extra speed to beat defenders with any regularity, but I still think he's a good lad and worth his place (most of the time, and Rodrigo's "useful" appearance on Saturday may give OC food for thought on that), albeit Ive rarely seen it over the full 90.