Stuart Holden - The new Paul Scholes and better!!!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Barr Hill
Hopeful
Hopeful

Stuart Holden - The new Paul Scholes and better!!!

Post by Barr Hill » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:45 pm

The displays Stuart Holden has put in this season have been immense.
I have to compare him to Paul Scholes - tough tackling,fantastic engine,capacity to read the game so well, simple football etc etc.

I can see the Reds persuing him in the close season as a replacement for Scholes.

There is no way Holden will not want to go there. At least we will receive a good price for someone we got for zilch.

Do you agree?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Holden can tackle.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Re: Stuart Holden - The new Paul Scholes and better!!!

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:50 pm

Barr Hill wrote:The displays Stuart Holden has put in this season have been immense.
I have to compare him to Paul Scholes - tough tackling,fantastic engine,capacity to read the game so well, simple football etc etc.

I can see the Reds persuing him in the close season as a replacement for Scholes.

There is no way Holden will not want to go there. At least we will receive a good price for someone we got for zilch.

Do you agree?
You couldn't have picked two more different players.

Barr Hill
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Barr Hill » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:56 pm

Explain?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Stuart Holden - The new Paul Scholes and better!!!

Post by thebish » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:01 pm

Barr Hill wrote:The displays Stuart Holden has put in this season have been immense.
I have to compare him to Paul Scholes - tough tackling

Do you agree?
no. Scholes - tough tackling???

maybe if you replaced "tough tackling" with "cynical, dirty, late and knowingly mis-timed tackling that he somehow gets away with because commentators smile and say - ah well - poor old paul never could tackle - whereas if it were Kevin Davies - they'd accuse him of being the mad axe-murderer of belgravia"....

SonsOfThunder
Promising
Promising

Post by SonsOfThunder » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:36 pm

They seem more like polar opposites? Holden is immense in the tackle but could improve his ball-playing abilities. Scholes can't tackle to save his mother's life but can produce some spectacular balls.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:43 am

SonsOfThunder wrote:They seem more like polar opposites? Holden is immense in the tackle but could improve his ball-playing abilities. Scholes can't tackle to save his mother's life but can produce some spectacular balls.
What??!?! He's the best passer of the ball in our side :lol:

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:17 am

East Lower wrote:
SonsOfThunder wrote:They seem more like polar opposites? Holden is immense in the tackle but could improve his ball-playing abilities. Scholes can't tackle to save his mother's life but can produce some spectacular balls.
I thinks SOT means improving them to Scholes' level. The two cannot be compared. As much as I love Holden, Scholes is WORLD CLASS and always has been. The guy's passing accuracy must surely be above 90% in every game he plays!
"Anything else you'd like? How about real lead in the radiation shields? Urinal cakes, maybe?"

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:28 am

Jumping ahead of ourselves again I see. Funny thing with Scholes is that he has been a great player for them over the years yet everytime I think of his name I have these images of his horrendous tackles over the years.

Barr Hill
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Barr Hill » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:50 am

Reading the papers - more and more talk about Holden's performances,how well he is playing. I guarantee he won't be with us start of next season. Tenner says Old Trafford

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:58 am

Barr Hill wrote:Reading the papers - more and more talk about Holden's performances,how well he is playing. I guarantee he won't be with us start of next season. Tenner says Old Trafford
Doubtful, they have Carrick and Hargreaves lined up as the next Paul Scholes. :mrgreen:

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:06 am

The notion that Paul Scholes can't tackle is as obvious and misinformed as the one of us being "big bruisers from whom you'll know what you'll get" which irks us so.

If he couldn't tackle he'd have had no career in professional football.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:12 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:The notion that Paul Scholes can't tackle is as obvious and misinformed as the one of us being "big bruisers from whom you'll know what you'll get" which irks us so.

If he couldn't tackle he'd have had no career in professional football.
Whilst being in some agreement with the point - he can obvously tackle sometimes - the "he can't tackle" notion seemed to become more prevalent when Roy Keane retired, so perhaps it wasn't so much of a focus before then and he had to do less of it, as Keane did a lot of the rough stuff.

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:19 am

Barr Hill wrote:Reading the papers - more and more talk about Holden's performances,how well he is playing. I guarantee he won't be with us start of next season. Tenner says Old Trafford
No chance! While I'm really impressed with Stu, he is not good enough for Champions League football at the moment and 1 good season in the Premier League won't mean he is tracked by Ferguson
"Anything else you'd like? How about real lead in the radiation shields? Urinal cakes, maybe?"

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:24 pm

I think you're on drugs mate. Best we can hope for is Holden being 10% of the player Scholes has been.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:26 pm

The comparison in style is fairly similar, the comparison in ability is way off the mark. for a decade or more, Scholes was considered one the worlds best midfielders, one of the best of a generation.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:42 pm

Playing well at present, tackles better than Scholes BUT can't be positively compared until he has scored a significant number of screamers from outside the penalty area, over 10 seasons or so!
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:43 pm

FaninOz wrote:Playing well at present, tackles better than Scholes BUT can't be positively compared until he has scored a significant number of screamers from outside the penalty area, over 10 seasons or so!
Bit of an exageration but I get your point.

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:34 pm

I like Holden but he's nowhere near the quality of Scholes :shock:

SonsOfThunder
Promising
Promising

Post by SonsOfThunder » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:16 pm

MJH-12 wrote:
East Lower wrote:
I thinks SOT means improving them to Scholes' level. The two cannot be compared. As much as I love Holden, Scholes is WORLD CLASS and always has been. The guy's passing accuracy must surely be above 90% in every game he plays!
Yep. Holden may be the best passer in the team (not sure I agree) but to compare him to Scholes at this point seems OTT.