Stuart Holden - The new Paul Scholes and better!!!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:24 pm

I like Holden from what I've seen, I think he's a cracking player in fact, but you can tell we've been lumbered with a pedestrian midfield for the last few years.

A midfield with the most attacking player being McCann or Cohen has led to mass hysteria and claims of grandeur in Holden's case.... He's not a patch on the dirty ginger manc, and unfortunately for us, never will be.
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:29 pm

Holden's a long way to go before being compared to Scholes, but he's showing the porential to be. Taking nothing away from Holden at all because he's going to be a top player in the Premiership for us (or other) of that I've no doubt. Yet a great central midfield player of his ilk can only be great if he has a natural working partnership with his midfield partner (Lampard/Gerrard anyone?). Holden has been able to show his talents due to the selfless, unglorifide work Muamba puts in, match after match. Forget for a minute Lee's oncoming potential, Elamander's sudden rebirth and Knight's constant underrated lable under Cahill's shadow. The most obvious reason for our sudden seige of the premier league's top half, after Coyle's confident self belief in his style of management and play, is the central midfield partnership of Muamba and Holden. At the moment, Holden's showing to be the player we are all hoping Mark Davies can become.

Due to today's media arselickers, for every Rooney,Terry, Cole, Drogba etc, there's are players like Holden ready to rub egg on their faces. Being grounded in this day and age is as important as having the skills to be great, and god knows he's at the right club for that!

That's half the reason Scholes has always been as good as he is.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:54 pm

Like he said...
Holden and Muamba get through a hell of a lot of work stopping teams playing.Holden's great strength tho is that as soon as he wins the ball he has his head up and is looking for the quick simple pass.He's not trying to do anything showy but does the basics of tackling passing and moving exceptionally well.He's probably not what people envisaged when they were dreaming about us signing a playmaker(which we'd never have been able to afford) but he knits the team together exceptionally well sets a tempo with his approach and has made an immense difference to the way in which the team can now play.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:55 pm

Holden is more akin to the new Gary Speed, than the new Scholes. And thats nowt to be ashamed of.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:00 pm

From what I've seen, Holden's good at the fundamentals of football without possession - when, where and how to press and tackle. He's proactive at finding these situations as well, which is why he eclipses Muamba in number of tackles made. He's still a little lightweight, as we saw when Fellaini swatted him away a few times at Everton, but he never stopped. As Ianmooreslovechild says, he's unfussy on the ball - it's never long and ranging, it's simple and possessive.

If you need to compare him to a United player, compare him to a fit Owen Hargreaves.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:03 am

I think i agree with the above four consecutive posts from SOTWA to KB...

We have a central midfield partnership that works - cherish. And LK's comparison to Gary Speed makes sense to me - but with a bit more joy to his game and the extra bustle younger legs allow...

bando
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by bando » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:04 am

Holden isn't like Scholes at all. Totally different players.

btw..how poor is Scotland's scouting when they decided not to give Holden a call.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:12 am

Our lad can tackle to start

SonsOfThunder
Promising
Promising

Post by SonsOfThunder » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:32 am

bando wrote:Holden isn't like Scholes at all. Totally different players.

btw..how poor is Scotland's scouting when they decided not to give Holden a call.
He wasn't starting for the USA either, so can you blame them?

I'm sure as hell he's going to be starting now... :mrgreen:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:50 pm

I was in the Happy Shop this afternoon and asked the girl doing the shirt-printing whose name is currently the most popular. She said "Holden, followed by Chung Yong".
May the bridges I burn light your way

SonsOfThunder
Promising
Promising

Post by SonsOfThunder » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I was in the Happy Shop this afternoon and asked the girl doing the shirt-printing whose name is currently the most popular. She said "Holden, followed by Chung Yong".
I have a very strong urge to get a Home and Away shipped to me through the bwfc online store. And those are the two names I want to get. :mrgreen:

There's also a really great football shop in New Jersey (onionbag.com) that does Lextra printing, they have an 06/07 Away (red with the RBK sponsor logo) on sale for $40. I've always wanted to buy it and get Davies printed on it, even though the printing would be anachronistic I still think it would be pretty awesome.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I was in the Happy Shop this afternoon and asked the girl doing the shirt-printing whose name is currently the most popular. She said "Holden, followed by Chung Yong".
Was also int Happy Shop today

That 1877 Vintage range

They've not quite nailed it yet but they're getting there with this badge

Big red rose, Supera Moras and el fell ants
Sto ut Serviam

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:49 am

Love it! Did I ever mention bringing back the elephants? :twisted:
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

midnitefooty
Promising
Promising

Post by midnitefooty » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:36 am

Nope, sorry. Don't agree. I think the OP is making this statement based on theri positions alone. The two have very different playing styles. Holden is not the new Scholes and he certainly is not "better" in any sense except maybe defensively.

CarlosHernandez
Promising
Promising

Post by CarlosHernandez » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:00 am

His USA position is an interesting one. Am I right in saying he only made one sub appearance at the World Cup? I know he didn't feature heavily. Surely he is the best performing American in the Prem at the moment, maybe even the world?

bando
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by bando » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:02 am

CarlosHernandez wrote:His USA position is an interesting one. Am I right in saying he only made one sub appearance at the World Cup? I know he didn't feature heavily. Surely he is the best performing American in the Prem at the moment, maybe even the world?
fractured leg from nigel de jong in a friendly last March. Made the WC squad but wasn't fit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQbTu1wS4Gg

kt22cliffjumper
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re:

Post by kt22cliffjumper » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:15 pm

Clint Dempsey is probably "better' player in the Prem at the moment though Holden and Dempsey are not exactly playing same kind of role even though both are listed as MF's. Dempsey will score more goals than Holden. I think Holden got held back by De Jong broken leg and with the fact that 3 slots in the USA MF are/were locked up by Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, and the coach's son.
CarlosHernandez wrote:His USA position is an interesting one. Am I right in saying he only made one sub appearance at the World Cup? I know he didn't feature heavily. Surely he is the best performing American in the Prem at the moment, maybe even the world?

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Stuart Holden - The new Paul Scholes and better!!!

Post by jmjhb » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:24 pm

Doesn't he play right mid for the USA team?

SonsOfThunder
Promising
Promising

Re: Re:

Post by SonsOfThunder » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:56 am

kt22cliffjumper wrote:Clint Dempsey is probably "better' player in the Prem at the moment though Holden and Dempsey are not exactly playing same kind of role even though both are listed as MF's. Dempsey will score more goals than Holden. I think Holden got held back by De Jong broken leg and with the fact that 3 slots in the USA MF are/were locked up by Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, and the coach's son.
I think based on current form you would have to argue that Holden is the best. But before this season those three that you listed were ahead of Holden on the pecking order, the coach's son based on merit too.

Svenia
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Stuart Holden - The new Paul Scholes and better!!!

Post by Svenia » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:10 am

So underrated. One of the best midfeilders of the league this season.