Diving Arsenal Players - The Least Shocking Admission Ever

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Diving Arsenal Players - The Least Shocking Admission Ev

Post by thebish » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:11 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote: - Gooner Girl is the only Arsenal fan I know (of) who has admitted decisions went against Newcastle as well as Arsenal.
- Gooner Girl is also the only Arsenal fan I know (of) who hasn't wheeled out the £35m Carroll money spent on Phil Dowd "joke".

she knows i'd never let her get away with it.....

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:47 am

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:Rumours going around that Interpol are investigating Rosicky and Dowd over "irregular money transfers" and match fixing.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Puts my rants against Clattenburg right into the bin. Now THAT's a conspiracy theory.

Only Arsenal could come up with this.

Oh, by the way:

- Sending off warranted
- Both penalties correct (including the apparent shocking second one, where Rosicky had both hands on the back opf the Newcastle player as he jumped)
- Nolan should have gone
- Newcastle had a goal wrongly given offside
- Gooner Girl is the only Arsenal fan I know (of) who has admitted decisions went against Newcastle as well as Arsenal.
- Gooner Girl is also the only Arsenal fan I know (of) who hasn't wheeled out the £35m Carroll money spent on Phil Dowd "joke".
Didn't think Rosicky was healthy long enough to ever have a chance to fix a match.

I think Nolan simply pushed off to protect and get between Diaby and Barton who I believe was down on the pitch. Not a sending off in my books.

Thought Diaby was likely sent off for pushing both players. Could see Nolan getting a yellow for that but not a red.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:10 am

- Sending off warranted agreed
- Both penalties correct yes to one, no to two
- Nolan should have gone no - that's an arsenal-esque soft-arsed point of view
- Newcastle had a goal wrongly given offside agreed

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:29 pm

Aresenal player now complaining the ref used foul language. Probably a legitimate point but concidering the crap he must listen to every week a bit rich coming from a player.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:00 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:- Sending off warranted agreed
Didn't Newcastle have one wrongly chalked off?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:56 pm

boltonboris wrote:
yeah - hence the fourth line....

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:29 pm

thebish wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
yeah - hence the fourth line....
:doh: For some reason, I mistook Newcastle for Arsenal.. Durrrrrr

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:51 pm

Which penalty was wrong? The one where a Newcastle player was tripped going away from goal, or the one where Rosickyt had both hands on a player just as the other player jumped?

Nolan moved his arm in an aggressive manner at head height, connecting with someone's neck. It looked soft, and it would have been a shit way to go, unfortunately it would have been correct.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:16 am

First was a pen for me - second was a dive

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:41 pm

Did he go to ground at all? I thought he made a gesture as if to say "ooh, I've been pushed!", before being sandwiched (and I use the term loosely) between Rosicky and someone else (Koscielny?). Yes, the Newcastle player (Barton?) made a meal of it, as he had been doing all day (look at the foul that led to the fourth goal) - but I reckon he had every right to.

Either way, no matter how much pressure you put on the man, you're asking for trouble if you put two hands on someone in the area in my view.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:23 pm

thebish wrote:
KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote: - Gooner Girl is the only Arsenal fan I know (of) who has admitted decisions went against Newcastle as well as Arsenal.

she knows i'd never let her get away with it.....
Its true - he wouldn't...

Interesting article in The Mirror.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion ... 94139.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why Arsenal players and fans have a right to react to challenges like Barton's on Diaby

Published 15:18 09/02/11
Darren Lewis: Fight your rights

It happens so often to Arsenal fans that they have come to accept it. But there seems to be some kind of unspoken rule that if you foul an Arsenal player then it's a case of the aggressor being the victim rather than vice-versa.It was Abou Diaby's sending off that, in the eyes of many, sparked the collapse last Saturday that saw Newcastle pull back from 4-0 down to 4-4.
Diaby reacted angrily to a 'challenge' from Joey Barton in the way I am convinced many of the people reading this would have done. On the lawless playing fields that are parks pitches on a Sunday morning, Barton could certainly have expected more than a hand in his neck had he steamed in with such ferocity.And yet France midfielder Diaby has been described as 'petulant' and 'brainless'. Some have criticised HIS refusal to accept such treatment and used his anger to rule out his claims on ever captaining his country.
There have even been some Arsenal fans who have caned their own player rather than the challenge. Which has led me to believe that perhaps the will of the majority has worked.
Maybe some Arsenal fans are convinced that resistance is so futile that they may as well roll with the punches and accepting that their players are going to get poleaxed.
Just because Barton got the ball, it does not make his challenge a good one. Think Liam Ridgewell on Theo Walcott earlier in the season and you'll get my drift. And this is not about Barton, lest any Newcastle fans waste time and energy huffing and puffing at me. Nor is it about Newcastle, whose response was simply outstanding in the second half. This is about Arsenal. You just worry that their fans have almost been browbeaten into accepting that they will get nothing for complaining and that they feel they may as well just move on. It was in May 2006 that the then-Sunderland player Dan Smith's "tackle" shattered Diaby's ankle. Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger was so incensed he threatened legal action.The Frenchman said at the time: "I felt, having watched the game, that there were bad intentions there and I will take legal advice to take this game further."The player should be banned as long as Abou Diaby does not play. When you see that he gets a yellow card it is just horrendous." Guess who got mullered for those comments.Wenger. With critics insisting his views were verging on libellous
It would be nine months before Diaby would return to first-team action, by the way.

The tackle that snapped Eduardo's leg in February 2008 - and ultimately ended the striker's Arsenal career - is another case in point.The Gunners' goal machine was never the same again after the challenge from Birmingham's Martin Johnson - however well meaning the defender's intentions.Wenger expressed his fury with some understandably hard-hitting views: "The tackle was horrendous. This guy should never play football again."It goes with the idea that to stop Arsenal you have to kick Arsenal and that kind of thing was waiting to happen."Many people have got away with too many bad tackles. We've escaped a few times but it's just not acceptable. If that is football then it's better to stop it."The worst thing you hear after is that, "He's not the kind of guy who usually does that', but you only need to kill one person one time. It's enough." Who got mullered after those comments? Wenger. With critics insisting his angry words had incited death threats against Taylor who was the real victim. Eduardo's next game was 12 months later by the way, in February 2009.

Aaron Ramsey is yet another example. Arsenal's Welsh midfielder had his season ended in February last year by a challenge from Stoke's Ryan Shawcross.The promising centre-half was sent off in tears after leaving Ramsey with a compound fracture which left his leg dangling at a sickening angle.Again, Wenger went ballistic, insisting: "Spare me how nice he is. Did you see where the injury is? To lose a player of quality at 19, like Ramsey, is hard to accept. That is not football for me and I refuse to live with it. The FA have to act."Guess who got mullered for those comments.Wenger. Even though ex-referee Graham Poll, in his Daily Mail column two days later, appeared to back the Gunners boss.Former World Cup ref Poll said: "There are very few genuine accidents in football. I accept Shawcross did not intend any harm but his tackle was no accident.Those who argue that football is a 'man's game' and that referees are trying to make it a non-contact sport should look at [this] incident."

And yet here we go again. Wenger, realising the need to keep his counsel, refused to mention the tackle on Diaby among the litany of incidents within the match that had upset him.There would have been no point. It would have changed nothing. Arsenal would simply be described yet again as whingeing cry-babies who don't like it up 'em and the pundits would have yet another pound of flesh.I argued my point on this issue the other day only to receive e-mails from Newcastle fans telling me that I am a southern softie.Arsenal fans too have been conspicuous by their absence in terms of expressing a view on that tackle.Or the challenge that Gooner friends of mine tell me a certain player made on Andrey Arshavin which was not shown on TV.I wasn't at the game and it didn't show up in the highlights, so I am not going to be unfair to the player and name him.But it really does seem as though the north Londoners have simply shrugged their shoulders and decided it is better to roll with the punches.

Don't get me wrong, the Arsenal players can get a bit tasty when they need to.
I remember William Gallas' lunge on Bolton's Mark Davies last season.
Diaby's challenge on Gretar Steinsson.
Jack Wilshere's awful lunge at Birmingham's Nikola Zigic.

The difference is, however, those players get up and walk away. Arsenal's tend not to.

Perhaps that is what lay behind Diaby's sending off and the collapse which has now become the most infamous in Gunners history.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion ... z1DUkgxXh7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:54 pm

Great article. Now that we know Arsenal fans have accepted that tackling is allowed in football, can they stop whinging like feck about them?

I notice amongst the awful lunges, he omitted Diaby's challenge that broke Campo's foot.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:16 am

Darren Lewis is SUCH a shit journalist :doh:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:05 am

Mark Davies walked away? Steinsson walked away? Campo walked away?

I don't feckin' think so....

Oh.. By the way after the Barton challenge, Diaby did indeed 'Walk away'

To the feckin' changing rooms for an early shower

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:31 am

Davies was playing again within a week or so. I know cos i checked when thebish moaned about it. Not that i am excusing Gallas, just saying, like ;)

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:34 am

oh well that's alright then :doh:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:37 am

Lofthouse Lower wrote:oh well that's alright then :doh:
Sigh...

clearly you missed the wink and the part where i said 'not that i am excusing Gallas' :roll:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:40 am

Gooner Girl wrote:Davies was playing again within a week or so. I know cos i checked when thebish moaned about it. Not that i am excusing Gallas, just saying, like ;)
he was indeed - he played 10 days later..

however - the idea that a tackle is dangerous/bad/reckless depending on how seriously a player is injured - is simply madness - but (I accept) - a very "Wenger" way of looking at it.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:42 am

thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:Davies was playing again within a week or so. I know cos i checked when thebish moaned about it. Not that i am excusing Gallas, just saying, like ;)
he was indeed - he played 10 days later..

however - the idea that a tackle is dangerous/bad/reckless depending on how seriously a player is injured - is simply madness - but (I accept) - a very "Wenger" way of looking at it.
In that case Arsenal are even more hard done by! ;)

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:46 am

What are you on about now?
This weekend?

Your boy was rightly sent off - I don't see the problem.