Relegation - Boom or Bust?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Your Attitude to Relegation

Never - I want to watch us in the Prem
56%
Never - The club will go bust
22%
Never - Same money for Fizzy Pop ST's - WTF??
No votes
I'd welcome it - Better football, more adventure
10%
I'd welcome it - Change of manager
4%
I'd welcome it - Its part of the building process
2%
Other
6%

Total votes: 50

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Relegation - Boom or Bust?

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:23 pm

I'm pretty indifferent whether we go down or stay up. If we do go down I'm pretty sure it will take as long as last time we went down after a sustained period in the top flight, before we get back up again.

Watching Arsenal last night though, had me yearning for those days in the Championship when we attacked with 6 or 7 players getting forward.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:49 pm

I want to see my team being the best it can possibly be. That's rather the point about sport.

So Prem for me thanks.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Puskas wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Wether we want to be in one or not, you have to say a relegation scrap is pretty exciting. It has all the emotion of going for the title (I'd imagine)
You think? I find it dull and depressing, myself.

To compare it with going for the title - would you rather be involved in a relegation scrap, or in a safe, mid-table spot?

Then consider would you rather be going for the title, or in a safe, mid-table spot?

Completely different emotions.
But striving for staying in the premiership is at least a competition. Going down and saying we don't even want to come back up, what the hell would the point be?
What's the point? A very good question. Presumably, the point is to drag the club to near bankruptcy in order to watch Darren fecking Pratley dazzle us against Villa.

I suppose, if we went down, the point would be to get back. This we would all agree on. Indeed, whilst there would be a range of opinions about how likely it is, we would also all agree that it is, at least, feasible. Once we're back, the point would be to cling on for dear life to mediocrity, hoping we can keep it going for a few years. Winning the league then becomes completely unfeasible.

This is why I voted "other". I have no real desire any more to watch pointless Premier League games whose only object is to prolong our stay and have more pointless Premier League games in the "best league in the fecking world" (as I believe Sky bill it).

What's the point? A superb question.

Darren Pratley - the meaning of life. Think of that. And weep.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:48 pm

It would appear that actiually attempting to stay in the Premiership is damaging us financially as much as going down will. I think people are missing the crushing inevitability of us going down sooner rather than later. We have breached our credit limit. To remain competitive, we need to further breach it. If we are to get to grips with it, we will not be. And relegation becomes a greater possibility.

This is our new reality, like it or not. Keep your fingers and toes crossed, cos we're f*cked either way. And Puskas is right. Mostly.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:18 pm

Managerial stability seems to be a good blueprint for success and is something many premiership clubs don't seem to grasp. It's also something we haven't had much of recently.

Maybe if Coyle is given time to build his team of swashbuckling youngsters we'll see financial dividends. He'll need to learn continuity himself though, in our back four. We've only improved this season when he addressed our porous midfield/defence.

Wonderwanderer12
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Wonderwanderer12 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:28 pm

I want to watch us in the Prem! Wilshere,Sturridge,Miyaichi, we came to know that Arsenal's and Chelsea's best young talents playing for their reserve teams are good enough for our first team, so, we should get at least 2 youngsters from them on loan every season in order to stay up and challenge Europa League place(5th or cup titles).

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:52 pm

Wonderwanderer12 wrote:I want to watch us in the Prem! Wilshere,Sturridge,Miyaichi, we came to know that Arsenal's and Chelsea's best young talents playing for their reserve teams are good enough for our first team, so, we should get at least 2 youngsters from them on loan every season in order to stay up and challenge Europa League place(5th or cup titles).

You've lost the plot

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:54 pm

Boom or Bust? I'm more of a leg man myself

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:12 am

Wonderwanderer12 wrote:I want to watch us in the Prem! Wilshere,Sturridge,Miyaichi, we came to know that Arsenal's and Chelsea's best young talents playing for their reserve teams are good enough for our first team, so, we should get at least 2 youngsters from them on loan every season in order to stay up and challenge Europa League place(5th or cup titles).
I don't agree with this, and actually think it's doing us no favours.

I understand that some of these guys are better than what we have, but if every time we get a loanee (that we have no chance of ever signing), we just dump one of our "first teamers", then they become pissed off and eventually leave.

We got Wilshere when we were 16th in the league with a game in hand over our rivals (but only a point above 18th) on 21 points with 21 games played. As it turned out we needed 10 more points from 17 games to get to safety. We got to a very respctable 39 points, so I think it really helped us.

We got Sturridge when we were 11th. 24 played with 30 points. From there we got 16 points from 14 games, but at the expense of moving Elmander out wide right who only scored one more league goal all season.

This season, we've fannied about with Boyata, generally upsetting "anywhere within the back 4". wondered what the fook to do with Kakuta and now have Myaichi, which I suspect means at the end of the season, we may neither Myaichi nor Petrov (although Myaichi seems to have replaced Eagles - which was a Coyle signing, as recently as errrr this season)

None of this season's loanees have resolved what most people perceive to be a huge problem, the injuries to Holden and Lee.

It's like watching Champ Manager, in the flesh.
Last edited by Worthy4England on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:13 am

Lord Kangana wrote:It would appear that actiually attempting to stay in the Premiership is damaging us financially as much as going down will. I think people are missing the crushing inevitability of us going down sooner rather than later. We have breached our credit limit. To remain competitive, we need to further breach it. If we are to get to grips with it, we will not be. And relegation becomes a greater possibility.

This is our new reality, like it or not. Keep your fingers and toes crossed, cos we're f*cked either way. And Puskas is right. Mostly.
I suspect this is true...

I want to be in the Prem...

I want to experience away games in europe...

I want to win a cup (finals and semis in the last 15 years, not impossible)...

but all of the above are problematic given a crippling debt...

But, above all, I want us to survive...

And I think there should be another option for the poll - which I haven't clicked because it doesn't offer it - 'I'm there whatever the division...'

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:49 am

Big-club loanees may be the ONLY way forward. Medium-term, hopefully, these players that aren't quite good enough to cut it at that level will come back to us on permanent deals.

Those players on our books that aren't good enough to keep the loanees out? Well, they can watch and f*cking learn.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:39 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:I've probably said this somewhere else, but personally, I'm completely unfazed by the thought of relegation and indeed, would welcome it with open arms to some degree. New grounds to visit, a chance of actually winning a match, playing teams who haven't got £200 million worth of substitute and are therefore on an almost level playing field. So, relegation; Boom or Bust people?
You having a giraffe? By that logic (or lack of it) we'll be welcoming relegation to division three in our quest for cheaper pies and crappier grounds. No, I'll be hoping we stay up as I always will. I've watched them since the old division 4 days and I've not watched my beloved club raise season by season to the pinnicle division in our country's number one sport, just to welcome relegation so I can see new grounds or watch a degraded level of football, because we just might win. I already support another team that is filled with shite football the level just above Sunday league. It's called England! Would you you opt for relegation when we were banging in goals in Munich? No because it's much easier to be proud when your teams doing well in the Premiership For crying out load, this has only been one of very very few bad/desparate seasons since we got promoted many moons ago and people are on about welcoming relegation. Dear oh dear :hang:
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:09 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:I've probably said this somewhere else, but personally, I'm completely unfazed by the thought of relegation and indeed, would welcome it with open arms to some degree. New grounds to visit, a chance of actually winning a match, playing teams who haven't got £200 million worth of substitute and are therefore on an almost level playing field. So, relegation; Boom or Bust people?
You having a giraffe? By that logic (or lack of it) we'll be welcoming relegation to division three in our quest for cheaper pies and crappier grounds. No, I'll be hoping we stay up as I always will. I've watched them since the old division 4 days and I've not watched my beloved club raise season by season to the pinnicle division in our country's number one sport, just to welcome relegation so I can see new grounds or watch a degraded level of football, because we just might win. I already support another team that is filled with shite football the level just above Sunday league. It's called England! Would you you opt for relegation when we were banging in goals in Munich? No because it's much easier to be proud when your teams doing well in the Premiership For crying out load, this has only been one of very very few bad/desparate seasons since we got promoted many moons ago and people are on about welcoming relegation. Dear oh dear :hang:

oooh - welcome home SOTWA!! 8)

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:32 pm

Yes welcome back SOTWA, been ages since you last contributed on here.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:15 pm

I dont get that lower division = shitter football unless you're talking about our opponents.

The best footy I've ever seen us play in 35 years was in the 2nd tier.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:13 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Big-club loanees may be the ONLY way forward. Medium-term, hopefully, these players that aren't quite good enough to cut it at that level will come back to us on permanent deals.

Those players on our books that aren't good enough to keep the loanees out? Well, they can watch and f*cking learn.
Understand what you're saying DSB, but to do what you're suggesting and have any hope of retaining them, we probably need to select different ones than the like of Wilshere and Sturridge, who never in a month of Sundays were likely to come to us, even if their Club release 'em on a free. :-)

Those players on our books that aren't good enough, are either a) still on our books when the loanee goes back and pissed off (& chances are they aren't going to have learnt much) b) on their way out of the Club because their Contract's up, in which case you lose both the loanee and the player or c) stay on the books as a second fiddle to the same loanee/other loanee in the same position the next season because they're still not good enough.

I'm not agin loanees per se, for covering for injury etc. but ultimately, I think it's s short term view/approach.

Boyata was tried all over the back four as a sort of "right you bastards I've got a loanee" bizarre sort of ner, ner, na, ner, ner approach to team management.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:50 am

I'm all for trying to improve our team, whatever the contract status
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:10 pm

Worthy - I'm not saying Wilsh or Studge would come now. But if in three years' time they weren't making the breakthrough and we were a settled midtable-pushing-for-Europe side, they may end up coming back permanently. Just a possibility.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:46 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Worthy - I'm not saying Wilsh or Studge would come now. But if in three years' time they weren't making the breakthrough and we were a settled midtable-pushing-for-Europe side, they may end up coming back permanently. Just a possibility.
Yeah - I guess so, I'm just not really convinced about it as a standard "policy"...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:38 am

Bump. Are we feeling more boom or bust right now?