Hodgson....

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Hodgson....

Post by malcd1 » Mon May 28, 2012 8:23 am

Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:The season before the one just gone Downing had 7 goals and 7 assists. So not remarkable but in a fairly poor Villa side pretty good and better than anything Eagles has done in the top flight.

I suspect that his underperformance this season is down to Liverpool more than owt else.

And no I'd not have him in my squad but equally not many other options for the left hand side!
Eagles got 4 goals and 9 assists last season. So one short of Downing's tally the season before...Not a lot in it.
Eagles doesn't play for Liverpool though.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon May 28, 2012 8:26 am

Nicko58 wrote:If we must have a naturally left-footed midfielder midfielder in the squad (I can't think that there's any other reason for Downing's inclusion), it's not difficult to understand Hodgson's rationale for choosing him.

Adam Johnson should have got the nod as England's left-footer, but started just ten league games for City last season and, barring Wolves' Matt Jarvis, there's not much else to chose from.

Regarding Micah Richards, didn't Capello justify not selecting him on the basis that he didn't have the necessary discipline or concentration for international football?

He's obviously not the only one to think that.
Half the England team don't play every game for their respective clubs anyway. That does't seem to worry our England managers though.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon May 28, 2012 9:11 am

malcd1 wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:If we must have a naturally left-footed midfielder midfielder in the squad (I can't think that there's any other reason for Downing's inclusion), it's not difficult to understand Hodgson's rationale for choosing him.

Adam Johnson should have got the nod as England's left-footer, but started just ten league games for City last season and, barring Wolves' Matt Jarvis, there's not much else to chose from.

Regarding Micah Richards, didn't Capello justify not selecting him on the basis that he didn't have the necessary discipline or concentration for international football?

He's obviously not the only one to think that.
Half the England team don't play every game for their respective clubs anyway. That does't seem to worry our England managers though.
Guess the 'too many games' excuse don't stand then in their case :wink:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon May 28, 2012 9:16 am

Any ... welcome Roy to the England job.

... & welcome any spectators to the 1-0, 0-0 World of Roy Hodgson.

It won't be pretty & it's not what St. Owen would want, but he knows how to grind out a result. Just set your alarm clocks for the final few minutes. 'Highlight' programmes may revert to showing just old clips.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon May 28, 2012 9:31 am

bobo the clown wrote:Any ... welcome Roy to the England job.

... & welcome any spectators to the 1-0, 0-0 World of Roy Hodgson.

It won't be pretty & it's not what St. Owen would want, but he knows how to grind out a result. Just set your alarm clocks for the final few minutes. 'Highlight' programmes may revert to showing just old clips.
I'll take that, more so if we become as efficient as the Germans

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Tue May 29, 2012 7:57 am

Well, I think we know what type of tournament we can expect when a midfielder it ruled out and he calls up a defender in his place.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue May 29, 2012 8:46 am

keveh wrote:Well, I think we know what type of tournament we can expect when a midfielder it ruled out and he calls up a defender in his place.
Didn't Jagielka play in midfield in his Sheffield United days? I seem to remember that being his main position then.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:15 am

Beefheart wrote:
keveh wrote:Well, I think we know what type of tournament we can expect when a midfielder it ruled out and he calls up a defender in his place.
Didn't Jagielka play in midfield in his Sheffield United days? I seem to remember that being his main position then.
I think it could be Jones can play in midfield like he has numerous times for the scum this season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 29, 2012 10:33 am

A more realistic one from an England point of view?

Hodgson may be the first manager who tries to make us hard to beat, rather than trying (and failing) to get average to poor players, playing in a style to try and match Brazil circa 1970......

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue May 29, 2012 10:50 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Hodgson may be the first manager who tries to make us hard to beat, rather than trying (and failing) to get average to poor players, playing in a style to try and match Brazil circa 1970......
+1.

He'll need luck as well, though.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 29, 2012 11:40 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I have to say, Fella, though we disagree healthily on plenty, I don't think I've ever read more sage words written in this place than those.
May the bridges I burn light your way

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue May 29, 2012 12:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: A more realistic one from an England point of view?

he'll be a lucky , lucky bastard if the amount of draws that that kinda policy usually gains actually wins a cup tournament.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 29, 2012 3:38 pm

Just play for a 0-0 and win on penalt..... Oh.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Tue May 29, 2012 4:17 pm

the press must hate hodgson. a succesfull manager with boring tactics is a press nightmare. they wont be able to critisize him if he does well but they cant say good things about him because he plays dull football
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue May 29, 2012 4:29 pm

a1 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: A more realistic one from an England point of view?

he'll be a lucky , lucky bastard if the amount of draws that that kinda policy usually gains actually wins a cup tournament.

Greece

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue May 29, 2012 4:35 pm

The bloody Italians have made a decent fist of it over the years.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:07 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:The bloody Italians have made a decent fist of it over the years.
exactly wouldnt you rather bolton won 40 games next season 1-0 than and stroll the league than win 20 games 5-0 but draw/loose the rest and finish mid table or in the play offs
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Tue May 29, 2012 7:02 pm

I have a strange feeling that England could have their best tournament in years. No expectations,minimal interest,a pragmatic manager. We could feasibly grind our way through like the greeks did a while back or like chelsea(whose defence is mostly the england back 4 ) did in the champions league. Whats the odds on Carroll being tournament top scorer and england winning the thing. Could be a tasty double for a fiver

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 29, 2012 7:30 pm

About 8squillion-1.

We'll get out of the group, might even beat a very tippy-tappy but gutless French side, who have been ace for a while, roughly since the last time they were under any pressure. Thing is though, the state of European football atm reads like: Spain + Germany>Holland>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>everyone else.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue May 29, 2012 7:35 pm

Has everyone else got any decent players we might pick up on the cheap?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.