You Tube Videos?

Tell us how to make the site a better place, and we'll pretend the idea was ours all along.....

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

You Tube Videos?

Post by freeindeed » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:32 pm

Hello,

What is the reason that videos can't be posted on the boards of this forum, like you can on many others?

I think it would improve the site immeasurably. Is it possible to add this function?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: You Tube Videos?

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:07 am

You can. I have. People do.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:37 am

You can post a URL but not embed videos on the page..

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:43 am

freeindeed wrote:You can post a URL but not embed videos on the page..
So people that want to see the video can click link. People that don't have less scrolling to do to get past what are often mind blowingly tedious videos anyway. Many on the site aren't of the yooftube generation. We don't subject you to old fart stuff, you don't subject us to your crap. deal?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:29 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:You can. I have. People do.
what he means is the facility to embed youtube videos in a post. we used to have that facility for a short while - the video plays right within the post rather than going to another site... I don't know why it was turned off/removed - but there will have been a good reason...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:06 am

thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:You can. I have. People do.
what he means is the facility to embed youtube videos in a post. we used to have that facility for a short while - the video plays right within the post rather than going to another site... I don't know why it was turned off/removed - but there will have been a good reason...
I believe the reason was laggage... (have I just invented a word? If so it's better than Wendy, so yah boo sucks to you Mr Barrie).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:30 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
So people that want to see the video can click link. People that don't have less scrolling to do to get past what are often mind blowingly tedious videos anyway. Many on the site aren't of the yooftube generation. We don't subject you to old fart stuff, you don't subject us to your crap. deal?
What? I was thinking more of interviews with Doogie/ bwfc training bids/ match highlights etc.

A suggestion to improve the site, made in the correct section and you tell me not to subject you to my crap??

Thanks for your contribution chump.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:36 am

freeindeed wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
What? I was thinking more of interviews with Doogie/ bwfc training bids/ match highlights etc.

A suggestion to improve the site, made in the correct section and you tell me not to subject you to my crap??

I'm moaning about obsession with video clips. A few are fine, but it is like polls. Someone always ends up posting a million pointless ones.

Anyway. The moment you had to resort to name calling, you kinda lost any sort of credibility :roll:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
i think that's a lie!! :wink:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:12 pm

thebish wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
i think that's a lie!! :wink:
I'm thoroughly modern and all that if you view the technology thread...well, mostly :mrgreen:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:23 pm

Personally I think it would be great if it were easy to view match highlights. Sometimes these are posted (and lost in a lot of verbiage) and sometimes not. Sometimes I've had to revert to searching goals101. Sometimes the material I want has been removed for copyright reasons. One click would make it easier for this old fart who does not get your tv highlights. On the other hand embedding videos would probably increase file server space required which might increase our costs.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:34 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
freeindeed wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote: Many on the site aren't of the yooftube generation. We don't subject you to old fart stuff, you don't subject us to your crap. deal?

Anyway. The moment you had to resort to name calling, you kinda lost any sort of credibility :roll:
Recap:

I make a helpful suggestion.
You say "we don't want to be subjected to your crap"
I say sarcastically "thanks chump"
You say "Waaaahhhh!! Waaahhhhh!! he called me a name :( :( :( he ain't credible round here

If the videos are spam then admin can delete them. On a forum about football in this era of mass media, it seems a bit backward not to be able to post and watch videos about the club...anyway I guess i'll go and make in-credible suggestions elsewhere...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:48 pm

freeindeed wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
freeindeed wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote: Many on the site aren't of the yooftube generation. We don't subject you to old fart stuff, you don't subject us to your crap. deal?

Recap:

I make a helpful suggestion.
You say "we don't want to be subjected to your crap"
I say sarcastically "thanks chump"
You say "Waaaahhhh!! Waaahhhhh!! he called me a name :( :( :( he ain't credible round here

If the videos are spam then admin can delete them. On a forum about football in this era of mass media, it seems a bit backward not to be able to post and watch videos about the club...anyway I guess i'll go and make in-credible suggestions elsewhere...
I merely stated I don't want embedded videos all over the place. I find most videos posted on Internet forums are crap. I didn't go wha wha or whatever. I just pointed out that calling me names because I disagree with your suggestion means you lack credibility.

Thems the facts.

PS - the mods do a fine job and have enough work on their hands deleting kitchen spam without having to deal with video spam. Just my opinion.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:12 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote: I find most videos posted on Internet forums are crap.
As do I. However, when they're embedded then I can see what they're about, decide whether it's something I want to watch or not and react accordingly, like the ones posted up on Facebook for instance. At the moment people are posting links with little or no information as to what that link is to. That's a situation that could land a few in trouble on the work front too if the link is to something deemed unsuitable. Someone, Tango I think but could be wrong, asked that contributors post a brief outline as to the content of their link, but it hasn't happened.
For me personally I rarely click on any of the links at all because as you say - most videos posted on internet forums are crap, but there are some very good ones too and embedding them helps you discern which to and which not to watch.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Aye, seems a good idea to me in principle. As with anything, if you don't like it, don't watch it.

I do seem to remember Keveh saying it wasn't doable though. Either the 'skin' used for this forum just doesn't do it anymore, or it would cost too much/ take up to much internet juice.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:11 pm

Prufrock wrote:Aye, seems a good idea to me in principle. As with anything, if you don't like it, don't watch it.

I do seem to remember Keveh saying it wasn't doable though. Either the 'skin' used for this forum just doesn't do it anymore, or it would cost too much/ take up to much internet juice.
we have moved servers since then - so maybe it is possible now but wasn't working back then...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:13 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
As do I. However, when they're embedded then I can see what they're about, decide whether it's something I want to watch or not and react accordingly, like the ones posted up on Facebook for instance. At the moment people are posting links with little or no information as to what that link is to. That's a situation that could land a few in trouble on the work front too if the link is to something deemed unsuitable. Someone, Tango I think but could be wrong, asked that contributors post a brief outline as to the content of their link, but it hasn't happened.
For me personally I rarely click on any of the links at all because as you say - most videos posted on internet forums are crap, but there are some very good ones too and embedding them helps you discern which to and which not to watch.
Aye. Fair enough, I can see how they might be useful. My fear would be that some posters will have them in every other post. A bit like those animated gifs the size of houses in signatures some use.

Bish - I believe the videos are still hosted wherever the link takes you to. It simply displays the video ready to play. A bit like the football streams, but without auto starting. They're usually bigger than the smilie box, which means I get annoyed when there are loads on a page.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:16 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Aye. Fair enough, I can see how they might be useful. My fear would be that some posters will have them in every other post. A bit like those animated gifs the size of houses in signatures some use.

Bish - I believe the videos are still hosted wherever the link takes you to. It simply displays the video ready to play. A bit like the football streams, but without auto starting. They're usually bigger than the smilie box, which means I get annoyed when there are loads on a page.
you're right - what I meant - but didn't say very well is that our new servers seem more stable and a bit faster - so that might eliminate the problem of lagging and buffering... but it might not! I don't really know!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:23 am

thebish wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

you're right - what I meant - but didn't say very well is that our new servers seem more stable and a bit faster - so that might eliminate the problem of lagging and buffering... but it might not! I don't really know!
Any buffering would come from wherever the video clip is hosted and not Kev's server. The new server might fetch the preview still a smidgen quicker, but anything to do with the video is 95% to do with where it is hosted and your own personal Internet connection.

Either way, Kev's new server is ace :mrgreen:

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:20 am

I've added a custom tag so that you can do this:

Code: Select all

[youtube]video id[/youtube]
Where the video id is the highlighted part of the URL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;syjr7NFqRfQ