The Gardening Bed

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: The Gardening Bed

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:46 am

William the White wrote:Spotted a rat in the garden today - in the late afternoon. Where there's one there will be more.

Any advice on getting rid?
Traps .... or poison. Honestly, the only way.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:41 am

William the White wrote:Spotted a rat in the garden today - in the late afternoon. Where there's one there will be more.

Be consistent - Grant them squatters rights. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:47 am

If I were you I'd start by canvassing your neighbours and then set up a committee with a remit to investigate the matter and report back to the local citizens within, say, six months. This committee should also have the power to co-opt sub-committees from the local populace. Such sub-committees would be expected to carry out specific tasks and be accountable to The Committee. No sub-committee should be privy to the responsibilities of any other sub-committee; in fact it would be best if none knew of the others' existences. Once the framework of the organisation is in place it's simply a matter of educating all the children to report perceived variations of the nebulous guidelines set down by The Committee to a special sub-committee - one which will be known to all. This could be called, for instance, the Kill Giant Beasts section.

From there on it's plain sailing. A five year plan that includes severe penalties for false sightings and capital punishment for allowing a rat to escape should be a good start.

Good luck, comrade. :smile:

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:57 pm

Look into getting some farm cats or some wild cats. Basically big scary cats that will eat anything that's not human, I can say that if my farm cat has no problem dispatching of pigeons and grass snakes and even having ago at the local fox population, then a few rats will be easy as pie. Alternatively (and probably more sensible/cost saving) if you do see that some scum bags have been chucking rubbish of any sort of food or drink into bushes, down gennels and just generally in the street then pick it up and see if you can get some of your neighbours to do the same as rats will eat literally anything including food wrappers and even chewing gum.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:10 pm

Spent this afternoon jet-cleaning the patio and paths. Tomorrow I will do it again using the cleaner fluid Hopeful mentionrd. Little is more satisfactory on the gardening front .. maybe a good burning and a newly cut lawn.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:36 pm

Did the lawns this morning because, unfortunately, grass doesn't grow downwards. The lawns were still wet but they look a hell of a lot better now . A bit left to do on the front but having finally done the summer solstice, ritual cleansing the mower blades ceremony and having used up every possible excuse and delaying tactic, the rain let me down and stayed up there. A leisurely morning of going into town and browsing the library had to be postponed till tomorrow, but Mr Qualcast regrets, he won't be around.... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:14 pm

Lawn. Mowed. This morning.

Too much grass in our backyard...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:27 am

I'm seriously thinking of borrowing a sheep or two... feckin' grass.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:56 am

Did mine just before sundown yesterday. Lost about half a stone in sweat :( Wish the wife would let me just have a big sand pit :evil:

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:15 pm

bobo the clown wrote:

I use combo of air rifle and flooding their holes with hose pipe.

poison too indiscriminate as dead body may be eaten by something else - dog/ cat/ bird which ends up poisoned, or dead rat may end up somewhere (under floors etc) and stink to high heaven.

I'd come across this fascinating read - http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17243?m ... e_stranger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

plus ca change and all that

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:19 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

Cruel & unusual punishment indeed.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:29 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

Cruel & unusual punishment indeed.
born of getting fed up with them re-opening ones I'd either filled in or bricked up. we have barn owls nest in the garden (which clearly aren't earning their keep, but don't want risk of harming). The brother in law has a jack russell that happily digs them out - problem is the destruction to the the garden!
in my youth I used to work on bolton market for a saturday job and they would drown the ones they caught in a trap in the sink !

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu May 01, 2014 3:02 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:I'm seriously thinking of borrowing a sheep or two... feckin' grass.
I've put the word out... 8)
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 04, 2014 12:44 pm

Did the lawns Tuesday but the grass is growing so fast I had another look this morning. Looked at the sky and thought I'd put the mowing off till tomorrow (when I know full well I'll be less inclined than today and I can't guarantee rain as my Strictly Come Raindancing ceremony just isn't working in sequence right now) ) but finally dragged the Qualcast out and gave the lawns another haircut. Good thing is, there was a plate of bacon, egg and tomatoes, two slices of Warbies and a hot mug of tea waiting at the end of it. Ahhhhhhh, sometimes life is pretty good, and it's still only 12-45. Plenty day left... :D

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Need to buy a strimmer, no idea what I am looking for other then it needs to be cheap as our gardens aren't huge and we don't want to pay out loads. Any recommendations?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:10 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:Need to buy a strimmer, no idea what I am looking for other then it needs to be cheap as our gardens aren't huge and we don't want to pay out loads. Any recommendations?
go to b&q or similar store - and buy a cheap strimmer.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:15 pm

thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:Need to buy a strimmer, no idea what I am looking for other then it needs to be cheap as our gardens aren't huge and we don't want to pay out loads. Any recommendations?
go to b&q or similar store - and buy a cheap strimmer.
Well thought out and thorough advice. Maybe only lacking the suggestion that it should be green, or orange or some other colour.

:lol: :lol:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:44 pm

Same thing happened at our place a week/ten days ago. We were just sitting there having a brew when Roland (or Rosaline?) appeared from behind a wall .About as big as a mini Cooper and as soon as I moved it vanished like smoke. Landlord of next door works as a big white hunter for Trapem, Grabem and Twatem, local rodent exterminators. He says it was there because we have a bird -feeding station and it was feeding off the spilled seed. We had an absolute mass of bird visitors and unfortunately, besides the finches and blue-tits etc, a fair bunch of them were starlings and pigeons. Area all now cleaned out and bird feeders taken down sadly. Rat hasn't been seen since. There are plenty cats around and a fox has been seen a few times by the night-time surveillance officer, so it could have been any of them that saw it off. Really going to miss the small birds though.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:55 pm

May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:35 pm