Freedman out!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Freedman out!

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:32 pm

William the White wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:The sad thing - sad as in sorrowful, not "lame" - is that there will be many people who want the best for BWFC who won't quite know how to react. Can the fans really get behind Freedman's team?
We're at home against Bournemouth. get behind the team!!!
Didn't say whether they should. Wondered whether they would.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:16 pm

astounded

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:20 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:Bit of a quandary, offered a free ticket by my Dad. Not sure what to do?

Call social services.
:lol: Bit too late on that front, Sir
Put yourself up for adoption.

Thor
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Thor » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:05 am

It's amazing that he is still here as we are in the same place as last year with 5 points after 10 games, at exactly the same point where Coyle was sacked with 11 from 10. Arguably Coyle's team where still adjusting to Championship football at that stage! Hard for anyone to make a case to support Freedman. We now play depressing football and have a squad with little value compared to a team that would finish in the "top 2 or 3" in Freedman's opinion just before taking the job. A man with any dignity would have resigned by now instead of waiting to be sacked and eek out every last penny of compensation he can!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:28 am

Thor wrote:It's amazing that he is still here as we are in exactly the same place as last year with 5 points after 10 games, at exactly the same point where Coyle was sacked with 11 from 10. Arguably Coyle's team where still adjusting to Championship football at that stage! Hard for anyone to make a case to support Freedman. We now play depressing football and have a squad with little value compared to a team that would finish in the "top 2 or 3" in Freedman's opinion just before taking the job. A man with any dignity would have resigned by now instead of waiting to be sacked and eek out every last penny of compensation he can!
Coyle was very much on a downward spiral at that point and should have been let go well before then. Let's not forget DF turned it around and was minutes away from getting us into the play offs. He had the infamous sh!t start last season, but then hit play off form for 36 games (though I appreciate that was not good enough overall compared to our expectations).
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:29 am

↑↑↑↑↑ Aaarrrggghh

LK. LK !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:43 am

There was a much stronger argument to back Coyle than there has been to back Freedman for the last 12 months or so. Coyle got us relegated from the Premier League where we were a small club and had a horribly plagued season with injury. Our start to the Championship was poor, yes, but there were at least valid points to be made in his favour. He, unlike Freedman, had been a successful manager elsewhere, had got a lesser team promoted to the Premier League from the Championship and there were some valid reasons why we were relegated in the first place. Freedman doesn't have anywhere near the plus side that Coyle had. He should have gone this time last year when it was clear he was well out of his depth as a manager and yet the reasoning for sticking with him, unlike with Coyle, is nothing but sheer blind faith because we didn't want to go through the rigmarole of appointing a new manager, even though it was clear that we needed to. There is no plus side with Freedman, he's an atrocious manager whose teams defend worse than Coyle's, which is remarkable, and play some of the least creative football you'll ever see outside of the third tier of Italian football.

Coyle is clearly a better manager than Freedman and we'd be in a better position now if Coyle had been shown the same amount of ludicrous faith that Freedman has been. I didn't disagree with the Coyle sacking by any means but he was far more deserving of time than Freedman has been. He's a much better manager and has a better track record.

To put it into perspective, Coyle's career win percentage as a manager is 40% whereas Freedman's is 34%. Coyle's win percentage at Bolton alone was 33%, which is identical to Freedman's, but the majority of his time with Bolton was in the Premier League when we had a lesser squad than the majority, which isn't the same for Freedman. Those two statistics say a lot. Nobody on here will rave about Coyle's managerial ability but I don't see any sort of argument that Freedman is even close to being as good as a manager.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:01 am

curiouser and curiouser

looking at it from another perspective, I suppose it sends a message to any incoming manager that we're not a hire em, fire em outfit, which improves our offer....

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:22 am

I think the message is very clear. We will not/can not pay off Dougie so he is here to stay. Relegation is not a problem to the board. In the grand scheme of a £165m debt, would it really make much difference if our revenues dropped another million or so?

I honestly can't see any way of us getting out of it.

Dougie has gone from bigging up the squad as being one capable of getting promoted, to now saying we are not good enough to stay up in the space of a few months.

I think given the attitude of the board, we are set for some serious bad times, relegation being the least of the worries. Meltdown!!!!

Martin_Cruise
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Martin_Cruise » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:27 am

StaffsTrotter wrote:curiouser and curiouser

looking at it from another perspective, I suppose it sends a message to any incoming manager that we're not a hire em, fire em outfit, which improves our offer....

On the other hand we will allow them to have a nervous meltdown hoping they'll resign before putting them out of their misery and paying them off.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:28 am

Or you can just do whatever you want without fear of repercussions?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:49 am

Martin_Cruise wrote:

On the other hand we will allow them to have a nervous meltdown hoping they'll resign before putting them out of their misery and paying them off.
The silence from Gartside prompts this kind of speculation (and Freedman looks increasingly unwell, his pre and post-match talks increasingly rambling).

It surely cannot have escaped the Board's discussions (or Gartside's with Davies) that he could be put on "gardening leave" and the task given to a caretaker (e.g. Jimmy Phillips - as I've suggested elsewhere) at very little extra cost.

One possible explanation for the silence/inaction is that Gartside and Davies have already set a cut off point (who knows? Saturday might be it?) and have elected not to act until that point is reached.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:55 am

EverSoYouri wrote: One possible explanation for the silence/inaction is that Gartside and Davies have already set a cut off point (who knows? Saturday might be it?) and have elected not to act until that point is reached.
I think this is the case. I think it is shit or bust Saturday, hence no statements. It would look silly to back him yesterday and fire him on Sunday. To announce he has to win on Saturday probably isn't the right thing either. If he's still here after a loss at the weekend then we might as well just accept relegation now and not bother with the matches.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:20 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote: One possible explanation for the silence/inaction is that Gartside and Davies have already set a cut off point (who knows? Saturday might be it?) and have elected not to act until that point is reached.
I think this is the case. I think it is shit or bust Saturday, hence no statements. It would look silly to back him yesterday and fire him on Sunday. To announce he has to win on Saturday probably isn't the right thing either. If he's still here after a loss at the weekend then we might as well just accept relegation now and not bother with the matches.

This all seems to me a sound, well-reasoned account...so it probably isn't the right one. :(

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:23 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
let's hope so - but if that's the case - why have this "crisis meeting" on Thursday and not wait until Sunday?

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:33 am

don't buy the 1 game result m'larky - unless a megson style fan riot happens. Tbh we could win the next 3 and I suspect the majority of fans would still want him gone given the last 2yrs. I can't imagine what his relationship is with the players, given his public pronouncements about their capabilities.

With an international break coming up, leaving him in place for a game where those fans that turn up are going to be pretty hostile seems bizarre & can only signal that they hope to ride out the storm with him (unless the riot happens). I'm pretty sure if he'd been given the chop, the crowd would have been up for the match.

Can only assume that the Board have a crossed fingers idea that he can turn it around (despite little evidence of his ability to do that over the last 2 yrs) OR it might be DF is EDs lovechild

all in all v strange and as I said curiouser and curiouser

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:39 am

Here's a thought... given the recent reaction of some fans to players not being picked so they can say goodbye to the fans, maybe the board have thought - once bitten, twice shy - and have decided to let Freedman have a final home game - to allow him to say goodbye to the fans properly?? :wink:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:22 am

The old 10-game cut-off... wasn't Sammy Lee binned after 5pts from 10 games?

newcarsmell
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by newcarsmell » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:27 am

I woundn't be suprised if Dougie rings in sick tomorrow

He's clearly dead man walking.. and the atmosphere in going to be hostile..

..curiously I'm looking forward to this one :D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:12 am

if he has some kind of saturday ultimatum following the meeting on thursday, it just doesn't add up to me... If they thought the situation was bad enough to warrant a show-down/crisis meeting - then why now allow all of that to hang on one game and whether we win or lose it. if we win it - do they say "ahh - fair enough - all's well"?? if they are going to sack him come what may - then why wait after having had a face-to-face meeting??