Freedman out!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Freedman out!

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:30 am

He may have been set a minimum target that may or may not be reachable after Bournemouth. The meeting could easily be to discuss what he is going to do to achieve the target and the consequences of not meeting it be reiterated. The meeting could have been to adjust the target in view of recent performances. Whatever the meeting discussions, he is clearly under a lot of pressure and I think close to being pushed.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:36 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:He may have been set a minimum target that may or may not be reachable after Bournemouth. The meeting could easily be to discuss what he is going to do to achieve the target and the consequences of not meeting it be reiterated. The meeting could have been to adjust the target in view of recent performances. Whatever the meeting discussions, he is clearly under a lot of pressure and I think close to being pushed.

that makes sense - but people shouldn't get their hopes up that such a target would simply be 3pts on saturday, surely? I have a horrible feeling he might have been set targets that take us up to christmas...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:36 am

Going against main opinion, I reckon they've given Dougie assurances of support and are hiding under the board-room table hoping the bogey man will go away. I could be wrong, and often am.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:13 pm

Can we bin this thread now. New start and all that :D

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:14 pm

266 pages of it, is this a record?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:24 pm

267 now. But for the record, twas on page 266. Didn't we have a sweepstake earlier on what page he'd get sacked on? Can anyone find it, or at least the start?

EDIT
viewtopic.php?p=912285#p912285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LGM 246
Bobo 283
LeverEnd 304
Always hopeful 389
Harry Genshaw 11788

Bobo the winner, although he did say "mid to late October"...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:43 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:267 now. But for the record, twas on page 266. Didn't we have a sweepstake earlier on what page he'd get sacked on? Can anyone find it, or at least the start?

EDIT

LGM 246
Bobo 283
LeverEnd 304
Always hopeful 389
Harry Genshaw 11788

If they'd just have waited till tomorrow I think that 283 would have been bob-on. There would have been mayhem.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:13 pm

Mods, with great relief, please feel free to lock this thread, job done! :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:14 pm

Nah, I reckon leave it open for a bit to tidy up the ends... and let those who've waited a year or more (but might be blocked at work) have their say...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:32 pm

Given DSB reckons we should keep the thread open a while longer...
SmokinFrazier wrote:There was a much stronger argument to back Coyle than there has been to back Freedman for the last 12 months or so. Coyle got us relegated from the Premier League where we were a small club and had a horribly plagued season with injury. Our start to the Championship was poor, yes, but there were at least valid points to be made in his favour. He, unlike Freedman, had been a successful manager elsewhere, had got a lesser team promoted to the Premier League from the Championship and there were some valid reasons why we were relegated in the first place. Freedman doesn't have anywhere near the plus side that Coyle had. He should have gone this time last year when it was clear he was well out of his depth as a manager and yet the reasoning for sticking with him, unlike with Coyle, is nothing but sheer blind faith because we didn't want to go through the rigmarole of appointing a new manager, even though it was clear that we needed to. There is no plus side with Freedman, he's an atrocious manager whose teams defend worse than Coyle's, which is remarkable, and play some of the least creative football you'll ever see outside of the third tier of Italian football.

Coyle is clearly a better manager than Freedman and we'd be in a better position now if Coyle had been shown the same amount of ludicrous faith that Freedman has been. I didn't disagree with the Coyle sacking by any means but he was far more deserving of time than Freedman has been. He's a much better manager and has a better track record.

To put it into perspective, Coyle's career win percentage as a manager is 40% whereas Freedman's is 34%. Coyle's win percentage at Bolton alone was 33%, which is identical to Freedman's, but the majority of his time with Bolton was in the Premier League when we had a lesser squad than the majority, which isn't the same for Freedman. Those two statistics say a lot. Nobody on here will rave about Coyle's managerial ability but I don't see any sort of argument that Freedman is even close to being as good as a manager.
The two statistics about Coyle's win percentage say bugger all. Ferguson's win percentage is way higher that Coyle's. Why do you think that might be?

Better manager than Coyle - assuredly
More money to spend than Coyle - most certainly

Most of Freedman's record has been against a backdrop of a declining Bolton - he clearly cut the wage bill, which clueless didn't. And Palace who were at one point bankrupt (or very nearly iirc)...

Clueless chancers the pair of them.

Coyle took a team down with the 14th highest wage bill in the Prem.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:46 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:267 now. But for the record, twas on page 266. Didn't we have a sweepstake earlier on what page he'd get sacked on? Can anyone find it, or at least the start?

EDIT

LGM 246
Bobo 283
LeverEnd 304
Always hopeful 389
Harry Genshaw 11788

If they'd just have waited till tomorrow I think that 283 would have been bob-on. There would have been mayhem.
For once, I'm happy to be wrong.
Hope is what keeps us going.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:49 pm

Always hopeful wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

EDIT

LGM 246
Bobo 283
LeverEnd 304
Always hopeful 389
Harry Genshaw 11788

For once, I'm happy to be wrong.
Us too! :-)

IggyTheDawgster
Reliable
Reliable

Post by IggyTheDawgster » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:44 pm

/thread
It ain't easy, Sleazy even, Deceiving those we, Believe in.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:43 am

See how many pages it takes you lot :mrgreen:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:08 am

ChrisC wrote:This thread is ridiculous after 5 fu cking games!

You can't judge a team this early in the season. Shall we get rid and get Paul Ince in? He must be ace because Blackpool are top of the league.

Getting silly this forum now.

Ouch! best hope not too many of the high ups at Forrest read this :mrgreen:

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:11 am

Hoboh wrote:
ChrisC wrote:This thread is ridiculous after 5 fu cking games!

You can't judge a team this early in the season. Shall we get rid and get Paul Ince in? He must be ace because Blackpool are top of the league.

Getting silly this forum now.

Ouch! best hope not too many of the high ups at Forrest read this :mrgreen:

Hoboh OUT!! 8) :wink:

I still stand by what I said at the time :lol: 5 games was a tad soon to judge him. We was his first real test as manager.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:34 am

No. 5 games was at least 4 games too many.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:38 am

bobo the clown wrote:No. 5 games was at least 4 games too many.
Have you been consulting at Huddersfield town?

tonymikejoe
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tonymikejoe » Mon May 30, 2016 7:29 pm

This epic post just goes on and on.

I confess I am a CPFC fan who wrongly claimed on this forum you had just poached the Scottish Mourinho when Dougie joined you.

He has just spoken to a Palace internet radio show in which he says he knew he had made a mistake in joining your club when taking the first training session.

Claimed Phil Gartside: "Played me like a kipper" during the negotiations, but to be fair he did praise your former owner's character later on.

Dougie said he had tears in his eyes driving north, but was too pig-headed to change his mind and now admits it was a terrible decision to leave CPFC for Bolton.

Judging by how things turned out I think Bolton fans would agree it was a terrible decision and their club was the one that suffered.

I'd be interested to know if you all think Freedman was the main culprit for your current decline or were things on an inevitable downer, whoever the manager was?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon May 30, 2016 8:42 pm

I'm sure you'll get 1001different responses, but you know that even Neil Lennon didn't manage the worst start to a season ever for BWFC.

In mitigation, he wasn't Megson. At least he has that going for him.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.