Capital One Cup first round - Burton (H) this tuesday

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Capital One Cup first round - Burton (H) this tuesday

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:44 pm

you wait for a Bolton game for ages and then two come at once, or something.

Anyway, this is in a few days. Who would you play? Are you going? thoughts, predictions, etc.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Capital One Cup first round - Burton (H) this tuesday

Post by Dr Hotdog » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:09 am

I couldn't go today but I'm gonna go on Tuesday.
I don't expect many changes - maybe 2-3 tops. One forced if Spearing's supsention is immediate, although I would have expected Vela to come in for him anyway as one of the changes.

Not sure if anyone on the bench deserves a start - maybe Dobbie, as he had a decent pre-season, in place of Feeney. Give Feeney a rest as I can see him playing a lot of games for us again this season. Maybe Mark Davies also - although Clough sounds like he needs some game time also and they're both contenders for the 'top of the diamond' position.

Be nice to see Ream or Walker make the bench. Hope their injuries clear up soon so we can have a full(ish) bill of health.

palekm08
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palekm08 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:14 am

I think Lennon will rest majority of his first team players that played against Derby for Middlesborough. Heskey Dobbie to start up front, Vela, Trotter, Walker, Pratley in the middle, Ream if hes back, Prince, Moxey and Wilson, at the back with Amos in goal. is my prediction.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:28 pm

I'd like to see Clough get at least 45 minutes running at a lower-league team. Would be good to get Davies, Trotter (yes), Vela and Dobbie some match time. Maybe Fitzsimons too, to see if he can handle it (might even convince us we don't need a bench-sitting standby). Back four depends on fitness.

None of which is to underestimate a decent Burton side who'll fancy their chances but we need to assess how fit - and frankly how good - some of our squad members are.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:01 pm

I'd play a strong team. We just started well with a decent point. Try to win this and build some momentum. Burton are league two champions are they not? And won their first game yesterday in league one. Jimmy floyd Hasselbaink their manager. Won't be pushovers. Let's build some momentum.

Would like one of our young defenders to come in somewhere, probably one of the centre backs for some experience. Mark Davies and Vela too. Beyond that not many changes for me.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:28 pm

I've longed for the day that we might play Burton Albion, and I'm working away this week so'll miss it. :(
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:50 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I'd play a strong team. We just started well with a decent point. Try to win this and build some momentum. Burton are league two champions are they not? And won their first game yesterday in league one. Jimmy floyd Hasselbaink their manager. Won't be pushovers. Let's build some momentum.

Would like one of our young defenders to come in somewhere, probably one of the centre backs for some experience. Mark Davies and Vela too. Beyond that not many changes for me.
Fair point and well reasoned, however do we want to risk any further injuries to more of our first team? I'm split between agreeing with you and thinking that we should rotate other players in (Trotter, Vela, Mavies, Dobbie etc) with possibly some yoof on the bench both for game time, and to minimise risk of injury to first team players like Clough, Madine and Pratley.

Certainly a tough decision.
Players can get injured any time. We could equally start saying protect people at Boro because we are likely to lose there.

Don't take risks on any knocks and rest a couple, but we want to get something going because we've never managed that early season since relegation.

I fear that if we lose Tuesday through too many changes, we then face two tough away days and the positivity against Derby is soon forgotten...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:00 pm

^^ You really are a little ray of sunshine aren't you. You couldn't be positive with 30,000 volts through you.

Which is a thought.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:38 pm

bobo the clown wrote:^^ You really are a little ray of sunshine aren't you. You couldn't be positive with 30,000 volts through you.

Which is a thought.
I am being positive. I'm saying pick a strong team on Tuesday and win. Get momentum and confidence going and we will be on a roll. What is more positive than that?

The negative thing right now would be resting loads for Tuesday and losing surely?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:^^ You really are a little ray of sunshine aren't you. You couldn't be positive with 30,000 volts through you.

Which is a thought.
I am being positive. I'm saying pick a strong team on Tuesday and win. Get momentum and confidence going and we will be on a roll. What is more positive than that?

The negative thing right now would be resting loads for Tuesday and losing surely?
Who would you think it most important to have the strongest XI against, Burton in a cup game or Boro away in the league with the two games four days apart?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:32 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Which is a thought.

Who would you think it most important to have the strongest XI against, Burton in a cup game or Boro away in the league with the two games four days apart?
Play a weak team in a cup to make sure you have a good team for the league? Wait, you are Gary Megson and I claim my five pounds. :wink: Mind you, it is Burton and not Sporting Lisbon...
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:32 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Which is a thought.

I agree with Insano. pick a strong team ffs!!! get the fecker won!

game two of the season is not the time to rest players!!!

pre-season was the time for experimenting and finding out how good players are... (and working on set pieces!)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:36 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Which is a thought.

Well what team would you pick for Burton? I'm saying rotate a few, but keep it strong. Don't risk anyone with knocks. But surely early days in the season, minutes on the pitch are valuable?

If people are talking about resting the majority of first team players then that leaves us throwing a lot of kids in against Burton who don't sound like they'll be pushovers.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:51 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:surely early days in the season, minutes on the pitch are valuable?
Yep - which is why it would be good for Vela, Davies etc to get a runout. I don't think anybody's saying "We're a Premiership team, Allardyce should be playing the Academy". I wouldn't be looking at say Twardzik or Woolery, although it might be useful to have a couple of shavers on the bench *just in case* we're winning and can give them experience.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:57 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:surely early days in the season, minutes on the pitch are valuable?
Yep - which is why it would be good for Vela, Davies etc to get a runout. I don't think anybody's saying "We're a Premiership team, Allardyce should be playing the Academy". I wouldn't be looking at say Twardzik or Woolery, although it might be useful to have a couple of shavers on the bench *just in case* we're winning and can give them experience.
I'd like to see Woolery on the bench, he impressed in pre season. Like has been said, I'd give the bench lads from weekend a game but keep the back 4 together so they can get experience of playing together, learn each other's names, that sort of thing.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:00 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
I'd like to see Woolery on the bench, he impressed in pre season. Like has been said, I'd give the bench lads from weekend a game but keep the back 4 together so they can get experience of playing together, learn each other's names, that sort of thing.
now, that's a very good idea! you should do that more often! :wink:

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:13 am

NL in the press conference has said its a dangerous game for us and we won't be treating it any differently.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:22 am

Pratley might be rested as he has picked up an ankle strain.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:25 am

Pratley has strained his ankle ligaments out for a "week or so" according to the BN. Guess that means Vela definitely plays with Spearing out too.

Hope Pratley is fit for Boro as he will be important especially away from home.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:40 am

^^parrot