"The ratio of people to cake is too big" Milton (K dons) (A)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Re: "The ratio of people to cake is too big" Milton (K dons)

Post by jmjhb » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:58 pm

This is just an accumulation of the past 8 years of diminishing returns and utter shite. So I don't blame Lennon at all for our current plight.

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:11 am

Worthy4England wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:Just leaving the ground and disappointed ted to say the least. Dome very good individual performances tonight and everyone worked hard but our decision making in the final third was very poor.

Prince, Dervite and Danns were excellent, Vela and Wilson were not. Moxey looks like a different player but was injured towards the end. Personally, I thought NL left it too late to change Vela for Walker. Mavies just disappeared in the second half.

A loss on Saturday would leave us looking like we're in trouble already.
From where I'm sat, we look in trouble already in any event...

No goals, no wins, one draw and two of our four games have been against teams that were in League One last season.

Seems a little way off Plymouth's promised "promotion season"...I could see us not making the play-offs at this rate.
And 2 against the pre-season favourites to win the league

Just fer balance
We were well shafted by one of those two, and the other has a new manager.

You could probably make a case for us being really unlucky in 3 of the 4 games in fairness.

We've had 58 shots and 16 on target in four games (from BBC website) - should some start going in and confidence pick up, that's not a bad chance creation set of stats...

Top of the table, Ipswich have 56 shots and 25 on target and have bagged 8 goals, Boro on 46 and 16 have bagged 8.

Bit o luck would help, but all games are looking tough when you're 23rd in the league with no goal-scorers firing....

That's about as positive I'm going to get until tomorrow. :-)
Those figures are very interesting reading... Boro aside it's hard to say really what the team is doing wrong if they're creating this number of chances, so you'd have to point to the players and say that they really need to buck their ideas up and start finishing them.

I will say as well that as depressing as it seems right now teams who create this amount of chances and shots (5 on target tonight) rarely go on firing blanks for too long... Der Ball ist rund und das Spiel dauert 90 minuten (the ball is round and the game is 90 minutes)... anything can happen in football but rarely does the same type of bad luck happen consistently. Keep trying and it will change.

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:15 am

Clough was a class above everyone on the field. He should be playing as a number 10, I would have Mavies as his understudy - not play them together. Mavies' lack of engine makes us too lightweight, especially away from home.

We were the better team, they scored from their only shot on target; otherwise we were pretty well organised.

Lacking confidence and directness in front of goal. We are not without hope, but need to find goals fast.

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:42 am

Can create as many chances as you like. Look at the goals record of Madine, Heskey and Dobbie. Gutted we wasted our limited funds on players who add little weight up front. If we don't/can't get a striker on loan I can't see any outcome other than relegation.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:10 am

You'd have to think that the wages in the three above mentioned strikers would pay for at least 1 capable one
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:11 am

That's where my thinking was...

Devon White
Promising
Promising

Post by Devon White » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:13 am

truewhite15 wrote:Had enough of this shit. When are we gonna get a break?
I think we have just signed him.... silva, he can cause havoc, so hopefully mavies and clough will keep the opposition busy as they did last night and silva will get some quality crosses in for madine or heskey. Although last night was frustrating, we aren't a million miles away. It is very early on in the season and we haven't had the team that lennon wants yet.
One gripe for me was feeney, grow up lad, you have a very good job and probably get paid a good salary, if you have had a bad game take it on the chin, yes you will get dropped for Saturday but its up to you how you react.
Ignoring the fans when you get subbed is pathetic.
Some of us only got in at 01.30 this morning. Moan over.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:14 am

Devon White wrote:
I think we have just signed him.... silva, he can cause havoc, so hopefully mavies and clough will keep the opposition busy as they did last night and silva will get some quality crosses in for madine or heskey. Although last night was frustrating, we aren't a million miles away. It is very early on in the season and we haven't had the team that lennon wants yet.
One gripe for me was feeney, grow up lad, you have a very good job and probably get paid a good salary, if you have had a bad game take it on the chin, yes you will get dropped for Saturday but its up to you how you react.
I heard that Feeney was given grief from some fans which might be why he was unhappy. Any truth in that?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:15 am

Did Feeney have a bad game? He seemed to be credited with most of our assists in the first half...(I know taking corners helps on that one)...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:17 am

Worthy4England wrote:Did Feeney have a bad game? He seemed to be credited with most of our assists in the first half...(I know taking corners helps on that one)...
Feeney gets loads of stick every home game around me. Can't really understand it as he always gives his all. Clearly he is limited but as you say he can be very effective.

Devon White
Promising
Promising

Post by Devon White » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:18 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Devon White wrote:
I heard that Feeney was given grief from some fans which might be why he was unhappy. Any truth in that?
He did get some, but it was because of his lack of basic skill ( which I think he has), he missed some tackles, over ran the ball and made hash of some simple crosses. This after good build up from mavies and clough. On the abuse front, Moxey must have ear defenders in ! 3 lads next to us never stopped... may be that's why moxey went down with an injury :)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:23 am

Devon White wrote: He did get some, but it was because of his lack of basic skill ( which I think he has), he missed some tackles, over ran the ball and made hash of some simple crosses. This after good build up from mavies and clough. On the abuse front, Moxey must have ear defenders in ! 3 lads next to us never stopped... may be that's why moxey went down with an injury :)
But see I don't get the point of abusing players because they are limited. Feeney is a trier. He works hard. Every game he grafts, he might be having a wretched time but he still makes the runs and puts the effort in.

What is the point of booing him because he just isn't that talented? He's never going to be a Clough. And by the sounds of it Clough missed our best chance last night, perhaps he should be booed because he is talented and still missed?

Devon White
Promising
Promising

Post by Devon White » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:33 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Devon White wrote: He did get some, but it was because of his lack of basic skill ( which I think he has), he missed some tackles, over ran the ball and made hash of some simple crosses. This after good build up from mavies and clough. On the abuse front, Moxey must have ear defenders in ! 3 lads next to us never stopped... may be that's why moxey went down with an injury :)
But see I don't get the point of abusing players because they are limited. Feeney is a trier. He works hard. Every game he grafts, he might be having a wretched time but he still makes the runs and puts the effort in.

What is the point of booing him because he just isn't that talented? He's never going to be a Clough. And by the sounds of it Clough missed our best chance last night, perhaps he should be booed because he is talented and still missed?
I cant talk, I never liked matt taylor and I am afraid I made it known at every game, at least lennon will see this with feeney and explain to him how he copes with the 'things' that has effected him and his family.

Devon White
Promising
Promising

Post by Devon White » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:35 am

Worthy4England wrote:Did Feeney have a bad game? He seemed to be credited with most of our assists in the first half...(I know taking corners helps on that one)...
He saw a lot of the ball, which makes it good for the stats but then if it doesn't turn out well the ''knockers'' start on him. Feeney obviously knows he is trying his best and doesn't understand how to deal with boo boys.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Feeney gets loads of stick every home game around me. Can't really understand it as he always gives his all. Clearly he is limited but as you say he can be very effective.
Really - at what ?

He has some pace, but that's it....he can't beat a man, can't take corners or put decent crosses in -he's league 1 level at best. I'm really hoping that with Silva signing and being a fast, skilful winger that last night is the last time we see Feeney - cause I personally think he's awful and adds absolutely nothing.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:49 am

Devon White wrote: I cant talk, I never liked matt taylor and I am afraid I made it known at every game, at least lennon will see this with feeney and explain to him how he copes with the 'things' that has effected him and his family.
I mean there are players at Bolton who I think took the piss. Zat Knight for example. Massive wages, performed like a shit and I got the impression he didn't care much either way. That might be totally unfair and perhaps Zat was underneath just struggling. But still he was on huge wages here and was dreadful. I can see why he got stick.

But Feeney will be on a lowish wage, and always tries. I just can't get my head around people wanting to have a go. I think we have a problem with fans abusing players. I've heard ex-players (old ones not recent ones) say that it is a problem now at Bolton that players have wanted to leave because they struggle with the pressure and the fans getting on their backs.

I know it happens everywhere but it isn't a good thing.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:53 am

I don't understand our obsession with singling out individual players. Managers I understand if they're funded well compared to the division we're in. To me, Feeney isn't much different than the majority of our squad. Occasionally he does ok, most of the time he's decidedly lower half of the Championship average. Perhaps I'm giving some of our better players way more credit than they're worth

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:01 am

Worthy4England wrote:I don't understand our obsession with singling out individual players. Managers I understand if they're funded well compared to the division we're in. To me, Feeney isn't much different than the majority of our squad. Occasionally he does ok, most of the time he's decidedly lower half of the Championship average. Perhaps I'm giving some of our better players way more credit than they're worth
Agreed. It isn't Feeney's fault that he's being asked to play up front and supply goals, and everything else.

He's a basic championship winger who can sometimes beat his man and sometimes put a great cross in. He always puts the effort in.

Same with Danns, it isn't his fault that he's playing in midfield and being asked to do jobs that aren't really a part of his game. He came in as an attacking or wide midfield player and suddenly is now being asked to be the holding man.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:13 am

Barracking a player constantly, at times from when their name is read out, is part of Bolton Wanderers fans culture ... maybe other clubs too.

The moans and shouts DO get heard. Most grounds are barely half full. God knows I give Trotter enough grief on here and am far from thrilled to hear his name read out but howling at him from start to finish in a match will do absolutely nothing to help matters.

Feeney can be accused of all sorts but not lack of commitment. Moxey seems destined to be viewed as our worst ever full back .... he isn't. Danns was our pride & joy 18 months ago.

Maybe the players would enjoy the chance to take a leaf out of Fred Eyre's book, when as a Wiggin player he was mercilessly heckled by a particular fan who one day turned up at his home to repair a faulty washing machine. Eyre proceeded to barrack and cat-call him throughout the repair.

"That's not the right spanner" ... "look at that water you've spilt .... boooo !!" ... "what sort of position do you call that to lie in ?".
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:20 am

This is part of the problem IMO - the acceptance of mediocre players and making excuses to why we should just accept poor quality players who put in the effort.

I know we have no money, but unless we are writing off yet another season before the end of August - surely we should expect our first team players to have some quality as well as just effort, to at least give us something to look forward to week in week out....as opposed to listening to people saying 'yes he's shit but at least he tries' !! because that's not going to get us out of the bottom 6 anytime soon is it.