Dobbie Does Dingles - Rovers (A) 28/08/15

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Dobbie Does Dingles - Rovers (A) 28/08/15

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:20 pm

I'll be out of the country for this one. No telly, no wifi - just a Rovers mate providing me with text updates, not all of which will be true.

I'll take a point.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: Dobbie Does Dingles - Rovers (A) 28/08/15

Post by Enoch » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:45 am

Do you think anyone gives a toss about your misfortunes!

Cracking thread title mind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:24 am

Aye, what Enoch said :)

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:21 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Aye, what Enoch said :)
8)
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:34 am

Live on SKY this one.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:34 am

ChrisC wrote:Live on SKY this one.
that normally doesn't go well for us... :?

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:27 pm

We don't have a bad record against them in recent years, winning 4 of the 6 meetings we've had in the Championship since relegation.
Can't see many changes to the personnel for this one apart from Feeney for Walker.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:02 pm

Question:

Commentary, reports and comments on here tend to suggest Silva and Feeney would have been better swapping wings. So, Silva, a natural right footed man played on the left? Find this a bit strange. Was there an obvious reason for it, or an apparent one?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:06 pm

Cut inside and have a crack. Going by the highlights, we had a decent passage of play with him doing exactly that!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:07 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Question:

Commentary, reports and comments on here tend to suggest Silva and Feeney would have been better swapping wings. So, Silva, a natural right footed man played on the left? Find this a bit strange. Was there an obvious reason for it, or an apparent one?
He cut in well a couple of times and looked dangerous. I think Walker was meant to do the same on the opposite side but he's a bit crap and couldn't...
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:08 pm

boltonboris wrote:The coach was warming Silva up - The drill was a quick one two, ball down the right flank to the byline and crossing it in..

Then he started on the left and stayed there..

WTF moment
There is a very obvious reason, Tango, but posting it on here would only draw the wrath of those that will not see.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:12 pm

Go on. I dare you!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:14 pm

there is definitely a modern-ish trend for it...

I'm no expert - but there may be several reasons...

1. to look trendy!
2. if playing one up front - having the winger cutting in makes use of a player who might otherwise be best played off the striker - giving him more space to run at players and link with the lone striker?
3. attack the winger on his inside-foot - you're usually attacking him on his weaker foot - unless they have switched their full-backs! ;-)
4. maybe - not having a big reputation for banging in the headers, the ball whipped back in from the line across the goal isn't the best kind of delivery to suit our gameplan... so we're not looking for the winger to skin the fullback and whip in a cut-back cross - however good it looks - cos there won't be anyone there to head it in...
5. winger/wide-man cutting inside - opens up room for the flying, overlapping fullback?

may one of those? several of them - or none!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:23 pm

Enoch wrote:

boltonboris wrote:The coach was warming Silva up - The drill was a quick one two, ball down the right flank to the byline and crossing it in..

Then he started on the left and stayed there..

WTF moment
There is a very obvious reason, Tango, but posting it on here would only draw the wrath of those that will not see.
Only just seem B.B's comment on this very topic or I wouldn't have asked....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:26 pm

I don't like it, and I think 1) on Bish's list is quite often the reason!

It works if you have a player who is good enough on the weaker side that they can happily go outside, so Ronaldo, Messi, Robben sorts, or even tbf at a lower level someone like Mahrez at Leicester. The problem is that most aren't though, so you have the dual problem of a)being predictable, and b) making the pitch narrow because your winger comes inside all the time. Every time Bale gets the ball out on the right he comes inside. Makes him v easy to defend against.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:36 pm

Any winger worth his salt should be able to cross with both feet. See David Lee at Anfield.

1-1 draw again methinks. Madine
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:44 pm

Feeney is right footed. Is Walker left or right footed?

In his interview Lennon said Silva can play either side but prefers the left. He's right footed but prefers to cut inside apparently.

I mean it depends on the player. Playing Feeney on the wrong side for example is utter bollocks as his whole game is getting down the line and whipping a cross in. Take that away by putting him on the left and he's useless. Silva seemed comfortable though on the left.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:57 pm

Prufrock wrote:I don't like it, and I think 1) on Bish's list is quite often the reason!

It works if you have a player who is good enough on the weaker side that they can happily go outside, so Ronaldo, Messi, Robben sorts, or even tbf at a lower level someone like Mahrez at Leicester. The problem is that most aren't though, so you have the dual problem of a)being predictable, and b) making the pitch narrow because your winger comes inside all the time. Every time Bale gets the ball out on the right he comes inside. Makes him v easy to defend against.
It'd be alright if the full back got down the line and took a man out, but at our level, they rarely can
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:12 pm

Enoch wrote:Cracking thread title mind.
Best since Flesh Gordon Strachan.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:19 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Prufrock wrote:I don't like it, and I think 1) on Bish's list is quite often the reason!

It'd be alright if the full back got down the line and took a man out, but at our level, they rarely can
It worked well enough for Silva as he scared them running in off the line at them. Won a couple of free kicks.

If Silva is always cutting inside from the left he'll be easier to deal with than if he can go both ways. Perhaps we can go back to the Allardyce days of "wingers" swapping sides throughout the game constantly.